Worried

Karate Kid

Reaction score
Hey ladies,

Just got home from a rubbish long day at work and I have received a letter from the hospital. It relates to an Obstetrics appointment but they have given me no indication of what for?! Now I am sitting here panicking that they have found something manjorly wrong, they are not open until 9am tomorrow and I am sitting here in tears (stupid hormones). Is anyone having an appointment at around 20 weeks and actually know what for? Xx

Mine is due to my disability, are you classed as high risk? if so probably just routine to see a consultant. try not to worry sure its all fine,x

Last edited:
It's not your next scan appt is it? Or they haven't made a mistake and sent you two appts one on a second day.

Just looked at my 20 week scan letter and it mentions obstetrics on it too but has "US" in front which I assume is ultra sound.

Could it be a consultant check up for your recent carrier discovery?

What does the rest of the letter say?
Xxx

So far I have not been informed that I am high risk?? Our 20 week scan is on the 26th and it doesn't look anything like the scan letter....

We have been told that we are all clear in terms of me being a carier of Beta Thalasemia, at worst the baby could be carrier too....

All the letter says is:

An Obs appointment has been made for you and I will see a member of the team.... Don't be late and bring the letter with me?!

It's so vague girls it's making me think all sorts of things.... Hubby is in the US on business for a week too!! Xx

Could it be routine in your area? Have you checked the NHS website for maternity services in your area see if that mentions anything??

Hey hun, don't have any experience of this as my 17 week appt with consultant was for evaluation after section, the midwife arranged the referral so I knew it was coming iykwim?

Try not to worry, they might even have written to you in error.

Try put it out of your mind until you can call them in the morning.

:hug:

Thanks ladies, I am a natural born worrier and my hubby is normally the voice of reason.... I'll try Skyping him later.

Sorry for being so pointless, I appriciate you all taking the time to reassure me. Whatever it is I will have to deal with it, so I will phone them from tomorrow and take it from there xx

I wonder if it's something to do with the potential that the baby might be a carrier. If you have no obstetric history and your bmi is normal (it has to be with your healthy diet and exercise) then it must be a follow up appt to your recent discovery.

If it was anything else you would have had a call back within days of bloods being taken or any anomaly that they could see at the time would have been discussed with you at your 12 week scan, not weeks and weeks after.

Sorry your hubby is away too, must make it seem worse :hug:

Xxx

Just had a thought.... It may be to do with my eating disorder history?? I mentioned it in passing but nothing was said as my BMI is fine and I have been in recovery for a few years. Will definitely let you know. Thank you hun xx

That could be it, any mental health issues have to be checked out to see if it's going to affect the pregnancy. I had stress and anxiety and the midwife said that I might have to see a consultant about it xx

Just had a thought.... It may be to do with my eating disorder history?? I mentioned it in passing but nothing was said as my BMI is fine and I have been in recovery for a few years. Will definitely let you know. Thank you hun xx

Ah maybe thats it. I've had to have been referred due to history of depression if not for my disability, which meant I got referred anyway. At appointment obstetrician mentioned my depression asked how I was coping and left it at that x

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, just give them a call in the morning to find out what it's for. I know not worrying is easier said than done though!

Keep us posted.

XXX

At my hospital it is routine to have an internal scan at roughly 22 weeks to check if you are likely to have a prem baby. But my letter did explain what it was for, so maybe it wasn't that.

Sure it is nothing serious :) Hospitals just like to be vague.

I'm sure everything is OK, hun. I was made an appointment with a consultant at 14 weeks by my GP, without me or my midwife knowing, because I'm also a thalassaemia carrier. I rang her and she was a bit confused, but I came along anyway and it was pointless. We'd already agreed that I would have monthly Hb and Ferritin bloods done to check I wasn't getting anaemic... so yours could just be crossed wires too. They often seem to do things without telling you first. I'm up for a GTT test next week, which I didn't know about, because my Dad has diabetes type II. I'm just going with the flow...

Try not to worry, sweetheart. It'll be fine.
xx

Morning Ladies!!

Well I phoned the Hospital and they don't know what it is about!? But the lady did say that it is more than likely to do with the eating disorder than anything else.... My MW is off at the moment so I can't ask her.

Spoke to Hubby last night and he said that he would be more worried about my mental state if I wasn't worried!!

Thank you all for being superstars as always:love:

:shock: That they don't know what it's for lol

Hopefully midwife will be able to shed more light!!!

When's your hubby home hun?

:shock: That they don't know what it's for lol

Hopefully midwife will be able to shed more light!!!

When's your hubby home hun?

Doesn't really suprise me! MW is back on Monday so I will phone then.

Hubby is back next Wednesday, stupid work getting in the way! xx

Last edited:
Does it not mention anything in your pregnancy notes? x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111