worried for my dad *UPDATE*

youngmumtobe20

Reaction score
i work for my dad and this week we've been working out maternity leave and pay, how much, how long n stuff. thing is im his only employee cos he can only afford to employ one person, so when i leave he's gota pay me maternity pay and pay someone else too cos the work loads just too much for one person.

So my pregnancy although a joy for me, may be the downfall of his business and i feel awful!! there just no way around it, if i leave i'll have no money for bubs, if i stay and take maternity leave dads business will really struggle if not fail!

its either that or i try and find a new job in the next 5 weeks b4 im eligible for comulsory maternity pay, but whos gona employ sum1 whos pregnant and will be having 9 months off after working for about 3??? no one thats who. if it was just me, id leave but i cant go without money cos then bubs will go without. Poor Daddy :(

oh what a toughy! sorry i really dont know what to suggest..what type of business is it?

is your dad offering more then smp then ? i beleive he claims the smp bck from the goverment anyway ? otherwise every company would have problems paying some plus there maternity cover ?

look into it further and dont panic yet !

he's paying me smp and thats less than my normal pay, about half i think. He doesnt get money from the government til after my maternity leave has finished, so he's gota pay it all out first which is the problem really, business is on a slippery slope at the mo and the slightest imbalance cud kinda turn things upside down, im probably worrying about nothing im sure he'll have it covered, but he's my dad u know, he done a lot for me in the last few years (more than he wud normally have to!) so im just worried that i'll ruin things for him

but im not gona let it put a dampener on my pregnancy!

thanks ladies x

If the total NI contributions for the company is less than £45,000 he can claim back 104.5% of your SMP so if he can keep the business going until he can claim it back he'll actually be in a better financial position due to your Mat leave than before.

I hope it works out, try not to feel guilty :hug:

found out 2day that dad can get the m/p fund up front so business cant suffer, or go bankrupt cos of me yay!

he can employ someone else full time too (but i think they're gona b opart time at first) and if i dont go back he'll still have sum1 tht can work part time, n we cud split the days, (dont think i will tho tbh, i want to find a career) but anyway, panic over now i can relax a bit more...just need to find out about child care n stuff now for when i do eventually go bk to work sumwhere, apparenbtly u can get childcare vouchers?

so anyway, chilled now :rotfl:

Yes, childcare vouchers save you lots of money on tax. It comes out of your salary and you don't pay tax on that amount. Can save you hundreds of pounds. :)
You have to select a nursary which accepts the childcare vouchers tho. My work have just introduced the scheme the other month. :cheer:

Cool! Glad to hear that's all sorted out and you can relax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back