Worried about my jogging

Beeble

Reaction score
Ok,

So I had a panic this morning - checked the scales and since last week I have gained 5lbs.

I have worked really hard to lose weight over the last couple of years, so this rapid jump is scary and I panicked thinking that the weight would just keep coming at that rate.

So I decided to hit the gym.

I used to run 5k three times a week, but have really slacked off since Christmas so my fitness has dropped considerably.

I am obese according to the BMI thing and it says in the pregnancy book to speak to midwife about exercise due to weight but midwife wont see me till 10 week mark.

I tried running at the gym, managed 4 x 3 minute runs with walking in between for 30minutes.

Since I got home I have been a little crampy - I am worried that I could have caused the wee bean some damage due to my weight and heart rate whilst running.

Does anyone have any advice on being obese and jogging when pregnant?

Thanks

Hun I'd speak to your gp. I jog too and my fitness drops off soooo fast if you stop running. I know you are worried about regaining weight but it might be better to do other firms of exercise. I would have loved to continue running through my pregnancy but I found the same as you, I get cramps and feel very uncomfortable even AR just a few weeks pregnant. I try and walk as much as possible now instead and do yoga xx

I asked the MW about exercise and she said to stick to walking and swimming.

Hiya,

Some say you are fine to continue to run/jog if you were very used to it pre-pregnancy, but listen to your own body and take advice from your GP or midwife.

I was told to stop running by my GP early on 'just incase' but I couldn't have done it from about 7/8 weeks anyway because of dizziness and drops in my BP. By the time the dizziness eased my fitness had dripped so much. Since then I walk instead (the dog isn't fussed whether I run of walk so long as she gets out) and do yoga.

Take it easy and don't punish yourself with exercise- you have precious cargo on board. xx

As julianne says, the current advice is that you are OK to continue a particular exercise if you were used to it before pregnancy. But you should stop if you get cramping or bleeding. You should also avoid overheating, so running on a treadmill in the gym is possibly not the best idea.

With running fitness you lose it quite quickly, so 5 months out since Christmas would be quite a long time, so I would suggest that going back to jogging is not a good idea. What about swimming at the gym instead, or walking on an incline?

You also need to resign yourself to the fact that you're going to put on weight, and probably quite a bit of it. I understand how you feel, I lost a lot of weight and got myself fit and it was very hard work. Pre-pregnancy I was running 20-25 miles a week and was pretty happy with my body. I had to give up for the IVF cycle, but was given the all clear to run at the first scan at 6.5weeks. I still waited until 12w for my own peace of mind, and now I'm doing 5k three times a week - about half running and half walking. This is a much lower intensity than I'm used to, but I would still stop if I had cramping or spotting. I also run outside, because I can keep myself cooler.

With giving up running and the constant eating in Tri 1 (in an effort to combat the nausea and tiredness), I put on half a stone in Tri 1. I've now put on a stone in total. I'm not prepared to diet or up the intensity of the exercise, as the baby is my prime concern. All I can do is make healthy eating choices and keep active. And console myself with the fact that I know the key to losing it all again post-baby (as do you!).

Be kind to yourself.

I wouldnt panic if your feeling crampy, it's all your ligaments stretching.I used to run regulary and stopped about week 13 because my heart rate was too high because of pregnancy. I swapped it for babyfit classes, aqua aerobics & light light exercise on cross trainer & resistance bands. Babyfit gave me some useful tips for the gym.

I do preg yoga DVD too when I can't be bothered for the gym but unless your super fit I would take it easy and keep everything low impact.

Jogging is ok but healthy diet & regular exercise is ample, don't panic and be hard on yourself at least your trying. Xxx

I asked the MW about exercise and she said to stick to walking and swimming.

Health professions tend to err on the side of caution when advice giving, and tend to give blanket advice to suit everyone.

While we might like to think that the health professionals involved in our care are up to date with the latest research and advice, the sad truth is that a lot of them aren't and are still working with very outdated information.

It's not just midwives - GPs are notorious for telling people not to run (even when not pregnant) "because it damages your joints" :wall2:

In case anyone wants some further reading - a good start is the NHS guidelines for Exercise in Pregnancy

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/pregnancy-exercise.aspx#close

Last edited:
Hiya,

Some say you are fine to continue to run/jog if you were very used to it pre-pregnancy, but listen to your own body and take advice from your GP or midwife.

I was told to stop running by my GP early on 'just incase' but I couldn't have done it from about 7/8 weeks anyway because of dizziness and drops in my BP. By the time the dizziness eased my fitness had dripped so much. Since then I walk instead (the dog isn't fussed whether I run of walk so long as she gets out) and do yoga.

Take it easy and don't punish yourself with exercise- you have precious cargo on board. xx

This was exactly the same as me, i wouldn't have stopped just if GP said but BP was so low in the early weeks, then i felt it would be too much to get back into it, so do other stuff instead!

Thanks guys - I have done some runs since christmas but they are not as regular. Just freaked out at my weight gain.

My weight has been sitting consistently at 16 stone and 2 lbs now for a while, and in the space of a week I have put on a whopping 7lbs!! Could have cried as I know the weight is not the wee bean! Its too small to weigh so much. I have been eating fruit and healthy dinners so cant understand the rapid gain.

I feel like in no time I am going to be back to my old huge self, where I had no shape, no face and wore awful clothes which cant be bought in regular stores :(

I am ok with healthy baby weight but 7lbs is excessive at week 7 no?

I just feel like I need to get to the gym and fight the flab. All my family are going to think I have let myself go again and that I am just climbing back to being obese and unhappy.

Feeling pretty low just now. Damn hormones dont help. xx

Hun part of the gain is water retention and bloat, honestly!!!! please please don't panic! xx

So glad I'm not the only one panicing about my sudden weight gain. Lost 4 stone in weight before got pregnant but still had a bit of PCOS belly.

Now it's huge and wobbly but hubby said starting to firm up this morning. Not been able to walk my dog as normal due to sickness and backache and it's getting me down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back