working mums of 2

trixipaws

Reaction score
someone at work said u lose out if ur a working mum of one, but its actually cheaper being a mum of two, you get more benefits (even if ur not single!)? is this true? and is it also true that it works out cheaper to be a SAHM and not go back to work?!! this sounds too good to be true! housewife/SAHM is my dream job lol but this unplanned pregnancy is panicking me so much because we are already struggling financially its putting a hugeeeeeeeee dampener on my excitement :(

i kno its very early days hehee but i was so unorganized last time everything was so last minute i'm tryna be better this time! :lol:

I couldn't afford to go back to work after Cally because of the childcare cost (we wasn't going to get much more from benefits). Now I work at weekends so OH looks after girls whilst I am there. TBH I haven't found it cheaper to be a SAHM either hence having to work weekends for the time being.

I certainly dont think you will be any better off having 2 kids tbh, yes its true my benefits have gone up quite a lot but I still couldnt afford to be a SAHM so will have to go back to work when mat leave ends :( But then I have the cost of childcare so either way its not a winner. The only saving grace for me is that my son is now 3 so gets his nursery place funded, meaning that when I return to work I will still only have to pay for one child in care and not both of them. Its certainly not cheap having 2 kids though! :hug:

Hi :wave:
I work 4 days a week and go to college 1 day and 1 evening a week whilst my hubby stays at home with our 3 little ones childcare costs too much and would be pointless in my situation.
I am on minimum wage and i find that we live quite comfortably at the moment (hubby worked as an air conditioning and refrigeration engineer b4)

I only plan to do this whilst i finish my college course then do a degree at uni which altogether should take me another 4 years!

we get some help with the cost of our rent + council tax and a higher rate of child tax credit + the child benefit we got b4 (my eldest child gets disability living allowance too that pays for the car we got through motability scheme for him)

We live comfortably but this isnt how i want it to stay.

Its worth looking on the jobcentre website etc to see whats available to you. x x x

I dont think its any cheaper. The first year was a bit easier as you got the baby element in your tax credits but once that stopped it was quite hard. They arent that wee forever though..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back