work conditions

hayleyVrabbit

Reaction score
hi everyone.... i work in a bakery im 22 weeks pregnant and im finding it really hard to cope. i'm on my feet for 7 hours a day in swealtering temperatures constantly serving customers bending down etc. i just feel so tired and i cant see how this is doing me any good. by the end of the day i have back ache, leg ache and all i want to do is sleep. i cant see how it doing me any good. i have 8 weeks left still until maternity leave and i dread every day i have to work..... is anyone else in a similar situation?? or any suggestions on what to do?? thanks :)

It must be really difficult being on your feet all day. I am sure your employers have a responsibility to do everything they can to make your working conditions more bearable during pregnancy. Surely they could put you on the till or something so you can sit down a bit more?

Check out the links Tangerinedream posted the direct.gov.uk one is good.

:hug:

:) thanks but you cant sit at tills your on your feet literally all the time!!! im going to read up on those links thanks...and i will have words with my employer i think x

Hiya!
OMG you working conditions sound terrible! I have just had my risk assessment done at work (despite them telling me I didn't need one) and now I am limited to paperwork! I am a care assistant in a residential home for the elderly so it's a bit different to you but the risk assessments are the same. It says that we can do NO bending, lifting, twisting or stretching and never work in hot temperatures. Your company is obliged to suspend you on full pay if they can not find you suitable work within your usual hours and that we shouldn't be working long or unsociable hours. Sounds like you do shift work? We also need to be provided with somewhere quiet to put our feet up and be in a stress free supportive environment. If you put "Pregnancy Risk Assessment" into google it will give you some good examples you can print off and take to work. This is what I did and I got it done immediatley as it says pregnant people are not to work without one. Good luck- keep us updated

I didn't get my risk assessment done until I was 36 weeks. However that was because I didn't realise I was supposed to do one. A collegue went on a course and found out it was supposed to happen and so told me about it. My job involves sitting down all day in an air conditioned office for the most part so thankfully I didn't have any issues. However they definitely have to do one, and it should be done as soon as you inform them that you are pregnant. NB if you work with chemicals you should let your employer know as soon as you know so that you don't risk your baby.

I worked in a bakery for a major supermarket (Every little helps lol) and I had a mtg with the personnel mngr and basically told them the job was too physical. I was moved to the checkouts straight away !!

It is correct they have a legal obligation, and health & safety policies protect pregnant women against HEAT/COLD.

If your like me and work early mornings 6-10am, they cannot change your hours to suit them either, so be prepared.

GOOD LUCK :wave:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back