Work and Risk Assessment

Beeble

Reaction score
Hi,

I am coming up for 6 weeks pregnant and I need advice on what I should and should not be doing at work.

Normally I would trust an employer to know what they are doing but my employer seems to break every rule in the book in regards to health and safety so I would like to know what is acceptable and what is not so they don't lie to me or have me doing things I should not be doing!

I work as a carer, mainly based in a service with 3 adults who all need personal care.

My job involves -

Providing personal care (showering/washing/toileting/changing pads)
Working with an individual with Hep B (I am not vaccinated)
Pushing a wheelchair
All household tasks in regard to cooking and cleaning
Working really long shifts (starting at 7.30am and working till 11pm then sleeping at the service and getting up at 7am and working till 8.30am before going home)

I am struggling a little already at 6 weeks just with the fatigue, we do not get time to leave the service for breaks - we just have lunch with the people we support and the same with dinner.

I am worried that I might not be able to keep up with the demands of the service etc and I am not sure what aspects of my job would be a "risk" to me whilst pregnant.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My work like to lie to me - they told me the other day I had to finish at 10pm then start a shift at 7.45am the next day and when I said I should have an 11hr rest period they told me I signed the 48hr working week directive and because of this that rule no longer applied! Which is lies - it only means I can work more than 48 hours if I want to, it does not mean I sign over all my working rights!

If i were you i would tell your employer asap and if they are unwilling to help then go to citizens advice.
I was providing personal care to patients when i was 6 weeks gone but i was doing it with someone else and only doing peopl ethat were able to help themselves a little so they werent completely relying on me.
With Hep B - i dont think you can get vaccinated whilst pregnant but you should have been vaccinated before you started working with this person to prevent risks.
Surely the long shfts are illegal to a degree thats a very long time to work unless you get sufficient breaks.
xxx

The employer never even told me about the Hep B when I moved to that service, I was only told in passing. After complaining during my supervision and quoting their Policies and Procedures they quickly tried to rectify the mistake by issuing all staff a letter saying they could get vaccinated by staff need to pay then get reimbursed - being on such a low salary most of us cant afford the £200 to do this and don't trust company to give it back this is why I have not had it yet as I have been saving! But now I am pregnant. The company only regard it as a small risk but I feel it to be quite high.

I think there is a loop hole in the care industry with working hours, the 24 hr shifts seem to be quite normal. I do 30 hours a week an usually at least one sleepover shift where I am out all day and night. Sometimes you don't even get sleep in the sleepover.

Last week one of the guys was extremely ill and started getting faint and falling (around 8pm) I had been on since 7.30am and at this point was lone working. I had to support his full body weight and look after him until the doc came, then I had to call doc out again later in the night, didnt get to bed till 1am but had to get up every 2 hrs to check on the guy! Was exhausted. Essentially I was awake and working the full 24 hours with no support.

I am worried about things like this happening in future, i cant be lifting this guy if he falls. Also if anything happens to me there is nobody to call for help as the guys are non verbal and there is no other staff at night. Just me in that house. Surely that is a risk I can bring up? x

Deffo tell them to get a risk assessment done! Then if anything happens its on them. Care work is so bad, I was working as a carer on top of my normal job them got pregnant. I found smells, lifting, cleaning etc was too hard cos of sickness & pulling of muscles etc so I gave it up. I know that's not what you will want to do as its your normal job but deffo get them in order & speak to the citizens advice. They take the p*ss most of the time, I hated their way of working! Plus if you are pregnant I'm sure you should be having a longer rest from night to early morning shifts! Have a look on the direct gov site for your rights at work while pregnant xx

Thanks, I find that website to be very vague - like pregnant women should not be doing "long working hours" but does not say what that means.

Can't find anything on lone working but I would be scared to do a night shift on my own as if I need to get to hospital I cannot leave till someone is there to support the guys in the house. Or if I pass out or something nobody would find me till the next person in for the morning shift but then as they dont have keys they would not be able to get in! Argh it is stressful. It is early days yet but I think I will speak to doc at first appointment and see if I can get the ball rolling on getting the paperwork so I can get that into work asap.

I want my little bean to be strong and healthy and no job is worth risking that for! x

Hi im a home carer, ive had my risk assessment done, my employer has taken me off all calls that involve lifting and most of the moving and handling ones too and my boss advised me i should have told them earlier but as i have m/ced in the past i didnt tell them till i reached 12wks. i was asked if there was anything that i felt i could not do, and theres only 2 calls that i struggle with and they are morning and personal care calls. every company is different. it could be worth having a risk assessment done early.

Ur job sounds like my husbands old job, and he had to do those 24hr shifts once a week too. I asked him what he thought of ur situation and his suggestion? 'Tell her to leave! They don't care whether she's pregnant and will expect her to carry on as normal in most circumstances, and she'll struggle'

I told him u can't just leave ur job, that's unrealistic lol. But he said u should be adamant and clear to ur employer about the things u need, ie, not working with the person with hep b, not working shifts alone, no restraining out of hand service users.

Ur employer has a duty of care to u and isn't allowed to put u at any risk or in any situation which may be harmful x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Why are you not vaccinated against Hep B hun?

My S-I-L works in a GP surgery and she has to have this (along with several other vaccinations)

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

My Hep B vaccination was free along with flu jabs etc because I work in the care industry too.

OK, I do the same job, same shifts etc.
Does your job involve moving and handling all of the time, with all 3 people? Pushing a wheelchair? You should be excluded from these duties.
Our sleep ins involve one person supporting over night but you get to go to bed (and getting up if need be) You should be withdrawn from those duties due to the instance you just wrote about, supporting the guy. You shouldnt be in that position. Also check policies etc because you may still be entitled to the payments. You shouldnt be working with the person with Hep B, the risks are too great and being pregnant your immune system is weakened.

If they cannot manage the risk in the service you are in then they should move you to a service that you can work, without the risks. (My companies rule is if they cannot do this then they will suspend you on full pay...check the policy!)

What has my company done for me?
I do not lone work, due to risk. I have stopped sleep ins, but still get payment (in the policy). I do not push the wheelchair, I dont do any support work that may put me at risk involving moving and handling. There is even stuff in the RA about shopping etc.

Be firm and dont sign a RA unless you feel it meets your needs, they have to put your needs first.

Cant think of anything else :) Good luck. x

My job involves -

Providing personal care (showering/washing/toileting/changing pads)
Working with an individual with Hep B (I am not vaccinated)
Pushing a wheelchair
All household tasks in regard to cooking and cleaning
Working really long shifts (starting at 7.30am and working till 11pm then sleeping at the service and getting up at 7am and working till 8.30am before going home)

Im a student nurse and have to do a risk assessment for each placement I do whilst pregnant so have had to modify what I am able to do now.

I was and still am able to provide personal care for patients, unless there is an obvious risk. I can bed bath, bath and shower depending on the patient. If it's somebody who is not independently mobile then I can't shower them, due to risk of them slipping and grabbing me etc. Toiletting is fine as is changing pads.

You can't have a Hep B vaccination while pregnant. I dont think that this would be an issue, because safe practice should avoid any risk of you contracting it. I think its the same as if you werent pregnant, be careful to avoid needle stick injuries etc etc. I've had to care for a couple of people with Hep C and it wasnt an issue.

Im not sure about pushing a wheelchair, I think it may be a case of being cautious. If it's just to and from each room of the house then it should be fine, but I probably wouldnt be pushing it round town all day or for long periods of time.

Cooking and cleaning will be fine...

As for the long shifts, I dont know where you stand if its written into your contract. I dont think that they have to let you leave the service for your break, as long as you are getting the opportunity to have something to eat and a sit down. I know that when I was a carer we werent allowed to leave on break. Maybe you could see if any of the other staff wanted to take on some extra hours to help you out?

x

Why are you not vaccinated against Hep B hun?

My S-I-L works in a GP surgery and she has to have this (along with several other vaccinations)

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I dont think its commonly offered in provate care, I've never been offered it working as a carer until I started uni.

The hep b patient wont be an issue, as you can only contract hep b through unprotected sex and sharing needles (or needle stick injury). Im guessing you dont administer injections, so shouldnt be an issue x

I worked as a care worker they where no help they excpected me to do the same work as before i was pregnant !! it was a 7.30 am start and a half hour break at 9 .30 and a 3 pm finish with no other break !!

My Hep B vaccination was free along with flu jabs etc because I work in the care industry too.

OK, I do the same job, same shifts etc.
Does your job involve moving and handling all of the time, with all 3 people? Pushing a wheelchair? You should be excluded from these duties.
Our sleep ins involve one person supporting over night but you get to go to bed (and getting up if need be) You should be withdrawn from those duties due to the instance you just wrote about, supporting the guy. You shouldnt be in that position. Also check policies etc because you may still be entitled to the payments. You shouldnt be working with the person with Hep B, the risks are too great and being pregnant your immune system is weakened.

If they cannot manage the risk in the service you are in then they should move you to a service that you can work, without the risks. (My companies rule is if they cannot do this then they will suspend you on full pay...check the policy!)

What has my company done for me?
I do not lone work, due to risk. I have stopped sleep ins, but still get payment (in the policy). I do not push the wheelchair, I dont do any support work that may put me at risk involving moving and handling. There is even stuff in the RA about shopping etc.

Be firm and dont sign a RA unless you feel it meets your needs, they have to put your needs first.

Cant think of anything else :) Good luck. x

this is all the things i had done too while i was preg but only after i was shoved by a woman i worked with and i cited it on a report form that i was preg and had been pushed by her. i had pointed out months prior that i shouldnt have been lone working with that individual. once that incident happened i was moved to another service where i was basically only allowed to clean and iron. no sleep ins, no manual handling, no infection risk, no single cover on outings. basically anything that could risk your health or babys is a nono and they have to accomodate you shift wise too, shorter shifts or more breaks. you cant be penalised for being off sick either and get paid for time off for appointments. if you think your work arent following the h&s policy and they keep bullshitting you or putting you at risk then contact http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461 for advice. you shouldnt be doing personal care or anything really with someone with hepatitis if you havent had the vaccination and you cant have it while preg

Last edited:
I can't add much more than what others have said, but as a nurse who also works long hours I will say this.
- I wouldn't be pushing a wheelchair.
- Your other duties sound fine providing you take it steady.
- Get yourself on a risk assessment and make sure you have a copy!
- I don't see an issue with the long hours per say, but I can understand your concerns about lone working overnight - this is something you can bring up in your risk assessment.
- Hep B jabs are free for those working in care, as soon as baby is here get yourself booked in at the GP, they'll do it.

Umm, I think that's about it. Like I said, not much different to what others have said really! x

Hey,

In regards to the Hep B thing, I have spoken to my doc when I had issues with getting work to acknowledge the risk - the doc said its not their responsibility but the employer so was really just stuck between a rock and a hard place on that one!

I have yet to see doc about being pregnant so will speak to them on monday and see what they advise in regards to telling work. I don't mind doing most of my work, would be boring otherwise, just have concerns regarding loneworking and the hep b...also don't want to be hated on by all the work folks who are in during the day if I am tired all the time.

Can someone clarify also for me, if you are off sick when pregnant - does it have to be pregnancy related sickness to not get penalised? My sickness is currently being monitored because in the last year and a half I have been off 5 days on separate occasions with bacterial throat infections/chest infections (I am quite prone to them) and also a bereavement which they did not grant me compassionate leave for but instead noted as sickness. I imagine being pregnant there is a chance I may have to have a sick day so I am not sure how this will affect me - I dont like to go off sick and I hate the fact that I could potentially get in trouble for it! x

5 days in a year and half i would say that is very good !!

oops u mean 5 days differnt occasions but if ur where sick and doctor confirmed it dont think they can do anything x

Yeh it is because it is small instances - But even so I don't think 5 days is bad at all in a year and a half. Considering one of those days was actually a bereavement which they refused to acknowledge because it was my uncle and not a parent or sibling etc So compassionate for a care company!

They have had me in for a stage one meeting because of those days off - basically if I am off on another 3 occasions I will be on a stage 2 :( argh! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back