risk assessment help

honeyhoney

Reaction score
Hello, I don't know if anyone can help me. I can see theres lots of risk assessment advice but I work for a small company and the rules don't seem to apply to me.
I work FT for a trade association and I am 1 of 2 employees (the other works 30 flexible hours so can literally come and go as she pleases). We have an 'acting boss' who is not employed but paid as a contractor, we are also controlled by a board of directors.
I am 27 weeks pregnant. I informed my 'acting boss' that I was pregnant at about 12 weeks pregnant and again in writing at about 14 weeks. I asked for a risk assessment but he said we were compliant (we are definately not) I also give him a list of what needed to be included in the risk assessment.
No risk assessment has ever been done and as I'm now entering my 3rd trimester I just wanted to know my rights as under 5 employees a company doen't have the same rights. Also I am working alone in a very busy environment for many many hours a day. I open up the office alone at 7:30am in the morning and the other employee comes in whenever (sometime between 9:30 - 10:00). Any advice as I'm exhausted and concerned

I work for quite a big company but it's there poilcy to give us a risk assessment before 25 weeks!!

i still havnt had a bloody risk assessment done on my job, i work for social services, vulnerable adults with additctions n need assistance to manage there own money, have to go to residental care homes to see them, book them appts to see me, allthough im in a office 90% of the time, i am STILL going out to there homes, not really knowing what to expect etc and some can be really dangerous,

my manager is a nice lady but really doesnt seam to give a sh*t about my baby and me! yet expects me to carry on my job without any help from others etc,
im not goin on mat leave until 36 weeks so havnt got long left really but its take the mess to me really!!

in a previous job we obtained fantastic advice from: http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461 who were really helpful,

good luck hun,

xxxx

Hello, I don't know if anyone can help me. I can see theres lots of risk assessment advice but I work for a small company and the rules don't seem to apply to me.
I work FT for a trade association and I am 1 of 2 employees (the other works 30 flexible hours so can literally come and go as she pleases). We have an 'acting boss' who is not employed but paid as a contractor, we are also controlled by a board of directors.
I am 27 weeks pregnant. I informed my 'acting boss' that I was pregnant at about 12 weeks pregnant and again in writing at about 14 weeks. I asked for a risk assessment but he said we were compliant (we are definately not) I also give him a list of what needed to be included in the risk assessment.
No risk assessment has ever been done and as I'm now entering my 3rd trimester I just wanted to know my rights as under 5 employees a company doen't have the same rights. Also I am working alone in a very busy environment for many many hours a day. I open up the office alone at 7:30am in the morning and the other employee comes in whenever (sometime between 9:30 - 10:00). Any advice as I'm exhausted and concerned

My employers are also a management board who are never seen. they knew they had to comply with me as i am not one to let things slide if they are dangerous or wrong. that is why they employed me initially.

no matter how small the company, risk assessments must be carried out for jobs/environments where a woman could theoretically be pregnant. since you dont need to tell your employer straight away about your pregnancy, you could be working on their premises for months while pregnant and your employer can be putting you at risk by not taking the necessary steps to protect your welfare.

risk assessments should not be left to be completed once an employee announces her news, they should be done before. it also stops you feeling like you are rocking the boat, which is not pleasant either. it is time for your management to get with the times.

if i were in your position, i would be talking to the Citizens advice Beauraux and getting legal back up and then approach your employer.

even simple things like sitting at a computer screen should be factored into the assessment, as well as opening and closing the premises (if you suffered terrible morning sickness and were unable to open at that early hour, your employer would have to accomodate you some other way...)

I hope things sort themselves out, without you having too get too shirty, but if they do, hold your head high - the laws are there to protect you, and you are doing nothing wrong by expecting to be treated in the way that the law states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back