Wish everyone would leave me the fcuk alone!!!

CARNAT22

Reaction score
Honestly,

I've had two family events this weekend and obviously cannot drink. I am not an alchie or anything :roll: BUT I do like a glass of wine....

Although I said I was on antibiotics both my brother and Aunt asked me if I was pregnant??

A friend sent an email inviting a few of us out for cocktails next Saturday and I replied saying I cannot come as I have a first Birthday party in the aternoon / evening (I do - my nephews!!). One friend replied back and said "refusing a drink - are you pregnant?"

I am so annoyed. It's like I am being outed and I feel really resentful...

Even my Mum sent me an email today and said at the end of it, at least you can have a few shandies next weekend as your tablets will be finished

So now I have another family get together to get through on Saturday and I'll be expected to drink...

I know this sounds really bad BUT it's not usual for me to be at a party and stick to soft drinks - I don't go mad or anything but I will normally have a drink, even if it was just a beer or two topped up with lemonade [you need to drink to get through my family gatherings :shock:]

Immediate family know about my first m/c only and have been really sensitive about asking me any questions about TTC.... but they'll know something is up?

I know I should be grateful for my lovely big, boisterous family and the fact we are close and all get on. I should also be grateful for my lovely friends BUT at the moment I want them all to BACK OFF

(rant over!)

xxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Aw love. That would annoy me too.

Can you say your infection hasn't gone and you need to repeat the course?

Or if it's going to be that stressful perhaps just not go at all?

Hi carnat

Grr it's not fair that ppl are hassling you like this

I suggested elsewhere maybe you could claim you gave up alcohol for Lent as it's about that time you would have conceived, maybe on some pretext like you were under medical advice due to high bp or wanted to lose weight or something?

Xx

Great suggestion about repeating the course of antibiotics. Either that or you're on a new health kick (which technically isn’t fibbing) and that you're trying to cut out alcohol.

Your family is probably a bit excited at the prospect that you might be pregnant and anything slightly different may arouse suspicions.

As soon as people found out I was pg I stopped getting invited out for evening meals or quiet drinks, I think people dont always understand.
xx

Thanks ladies,

I can't not go as it's my nephews first Birthday :shock:

If all was OK with the early scan I'd be happy to tell a few people BUT as it's my nephews Birthday I decided to wait (don't want to announce it in front of my sister's in laws...)

I am hoping the party will be so chaotic I can 'fake' drinking LOL

If anyone says anything I may just growl at them !!

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Thanks God we dont have the same problems as it quite common in here to not drink and I hate alcohol anyway so I never drink.
Can't you just have sth like cola nice with sth or vodka mixed with sth and just put cola and you tell them that you drink sh else ?
At the doctor galas where unfortunately waitresses actually put a glass of wine in your hand unusually get it have a sip or two and then move around with it holding it until I just abandon it somewhere giving the impression that I drink it...

I don't get really that uk thing that they all except you to drink in a night out or a family gathering??? I wouldn't even imagine to ask a friend if she is pregnant because she chooses a juice instead of bear :shock:

I went to a 21st last Saturday. It was my oh's niece.
Now all of his family know that I like a drink, I really do when I can but I obviously stick to water. Couldn't stomach anything fizzy because of the nausea. So it looked even more obvious!! Plus I was wearing sickness bands :wall: I can't take them off!
Everyone was coming over and winking "I won't say a word wink wink".
Telling me not to worry "there's no vodka in the jelly, you can have some"
Grrrrrrrr!!! x

Thanks God we dont have the same problems as it quite common in here to not drink and I hate alcohol anyway so I never drink.
Can't you just have sth like cola nice with sth or vodka mixed with sth and just put cola and you tell them that you drink sh else ?
At the doctor galas where unfortunately waitresses actually put a glass of wine in your hand unusually get it have a sip or two and then move around with it holding it until I just abandon it somewhere giving the impression that I drink it...

I don't get really that uk thing that they all except you to drink in a night out or a family gathering??? I wouldn't even imagine to ask a friend if she is pregnant because she chooses a juice instead of bear :shock:

I am not expected to get fall down drunk or anything BUT I would normally always have something if I am at a party on Saturday evening? Even if it was just a beer or two.

People that know me know that so would automatically put two and two together.

I think I can easily fake drinking a beer or two (I'll give them to my OH)

It's more the principle though - why do other people think it's OK to comment on whether I have a drink or not? I mean to have the cheek to ask if I am pregnant??? :shock:

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
just seen this and :wall: tell em all to shut the F up, they should think before asking :hugs:

Just get a coke and tell them there is a voddy in it

just seen this and :wall: tell em all to shut the F up, they should think before asking :hugs:

Just get a coke and tell them there is a voddy in it

Sounds like a plan hun....

My family mean well and we're by no means boozers BUT it is a party and it is a Saturday :lol:

xxxxxxxx

Ah that's so bloody annoying!!
I remember in my 2ww I was at my best friends engagement party and the next night, at my OH's friends bday party - both nights I drank sprite and if any1 asked, I told them it was vodka and white lemonade. (I even found it bizarre that I was asked what I was drinking!! Its no1's business!!)

I agree with ur point that when did it become ok to ask a woman why she's not drinking?!
After I first found out I was pregnant, my friends and I went out for our Christmas dinner and I just told them I was on antibiotics for a UTI. This sparked up a convo about babies and one of my friends asked if I'd started trying yet as I'd been married for 6 months. I felt so awkward!!

I think people should just focus on what's going on in their own lives and worry less about whether someone is pg or not!! Grr xx

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

lol for an easy life i would just say that you have a spirit in whatever soft drink you order.

if it were me i wouod have just said ''fuck off'' but you know me nat, im a gobshite

I hate this stuff. I also enjoyed a drink or two before ttc. My mum managed to work out I must be pregnant from the fact that we had non-alcoholic beer bottles in our recycling. Not only that but she decided to announce to all her friends that she thought I was pregnant - before we had said anything even to our best friends. I'm so annoyed with her. The whole purpose of families is to make you crazy. :wall2:

Wow tinytoy that's awful, what right has she to start broadcasting that on your behalf behind your backs - outrageous!

If you're pregnant, it's YOUR news and YOUR right to tell whom you choose when YOU want. Grrr

You could always bring non alcoholic beer with you and make it into a shandy. Nobody needs to know there is no alcohol in it. I am a hermit so I don't really have that problem thank god x

Did you tell them what he antibiotics are for? If not explain them are for gastritis caused by HP and that doctor advices you to stay clear from fried food, spicy food and ofc alcohol for at least 3 months. That can actually be very true if you have sth like that...

lol you could say that everyone suspecting your preg cos you couldnt drink on antibiotics has made you think that you drink too much and so wanna stop for a while? that will make them feel a bit bad for saying anything lol

As I actually have honestly had a tooth ache I said I was on anti-bio's for that!

I hate lying BUT I want to tell people when I feel ready...

If it wasn't nephews Birthday I'd tell people after early scan on Friday!

xxxxxxxxxx

lol you could say that everyone suspecting your preg cos you couldnt drink on antibiotics has made you think that you drink too much and so wanna stop for a while? that will make them feel a bit bad for saying anything lol

Now that is inspired!

xxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back