Will you keep working?

star fish

Reaction score
I had two jobs. I was a part time writer (work comes and goes) and a part time Event Manager (slash wedding planner).

When my husband got made redundant we had to move for his new job and I gave up the office job (event management) as the travel would be too much. Now I have to find another one, but I'm not sure if i want to...... I'd like to free up the time for being a hands on mummy.

My husband says that that is all very well but I'm not currently pregnant and could at least work for the next 6 months even if i was again soon. I suppose I should, we could do with the cash, but then I might give it up :shhh:

On the other hand, I love writing and I would be really angry if i had to give it up and would insist we have to find a way that I can keep working on that.

Sigh...... its a complex issue

Anyone else?

I have no choice really mortgage-wise. I'm a police officer (boo and hiss I know) but would be looking to reduce my hours to work 3 twelve hour night shifts per week, I want to save up some money tho so I could take more time off with the baby after its born, we get 3 months full pay then 3 months half pay.

I'm hoping to get qualified as a Doula during my Mat leave and be able to earn a living this way (and who knows, maybe become an Ann Summers rep too lol).

I'd like to be flexible, have lots of time to be hands on with LO right up to 5yrs etc but still be earning and contributing.

I'm always wondering if I've read your work Starfish :D

Lxx

On one hand i would of loved to be a stay at home mummy to my little man but on the other work gives me chance to be me, away from being a sensible mummy x x

Yeah Starfish, what sort of books do you do? I <3 reading (actually a good book takes over my life) lol

Aw gawd, I always feel such a faker when I say I write and then refuse to say what!!

Its such a big part of my life that I couldnt pretend I dont, but I'm so paranoid about my privacy that I write under a pen name and dont tell people, not even my friends ....... sorry girls.

Mind you, I bet there is at least one person on here who will have read one of my books :) which gives me such a buzz

I have no choice really mortgage-wise. I'm a police officer (boo and hiss I know) but would be looking to reduce my hours to work 3 twelve hour night shifts per week, I want to save up some money tho so I could take more time off with the baby after its born, we get 3 months full pay then 3 months half pay.

Yes, I think most people are in that position mortgage wise. All my friends have to go back to work almost straight away to get their full maternity etc. I'm screwed for maternity because my main income is self-employed

BTW - I think being a police officer makes you a hero. Nuff respekt! (can you tell I'm in my thirties? )

Last edited:
:cry: really? Can you not give us a criptive clue so that if we work it out then we deserve to read one of your books? Totally understand the privacy thing hun, fair play to you, but I do so love a good read! Especially since I've got 4 weeks twiddling my thumbs :lol:

LOL, I love clues.... I've been reading Dan Browns The Lost Symbol, totally brilliant

Goddess I wish! I'd never have to work again.....

But yes, I am in fact an American man........

Just kidding

haha! yeh you'd be very rich, plus you'd be a man! Unless of course that's a professional alias too - now there's a thought,

Hey girls :wave:

With our plan that we have, I'll be very lucky & have the choice of whether I want to go back to work

If I did return to work then it certainly wouldn't be the job I currently do now though but that's more to do with the location really & I'd probably considered evening/night/weekend work least the OH can have some bonding time alone with our baby

xxx

I wouldn't want to return to work. Not sure if we'll be able to cope financially, so I'd maybe do something part time until all our children are about 5.

I'd love to give up work completely, but financially that is impossible. So I think I would try and go to 3 days a week and my husband can move to night shifts for 2 days so he could have little one for 2 days.

i am 'hoping' to be able to go back 3 days a week....will be easier to do that of they do keep child tax credits!!!

it will mean we probably cant move house, just yet, but we are fine where we are so it's not a problem.

xx

I am very lucky that me and hubbie have the same ethos when t comes to childcare. Both our mums were stay at home mums and we both really enjoyed our childhood with them. Therefore we have always worked towards me being a full time mum! I gave up work last feb and am currently studying as a beautician so I can work odd hours when im a mummy but prob only do one or two treatments a week. Im not currently working (do a couple of temping retail jobs) so we get used to the difference in income but so far its not been too bad. Obviously we dont have the money to burn any more but we have enough to pay the mortgage and bill etc.
At the same time, I can fully understand people who go back to work after either because they want to or have to. Think it depends on the type of person you are!
xxx

Well for me i'm not working at the moment as had to give up my job as a nurse to move for hubbys work.

Luckily my hubby is self employed and has a very good job we can manage morgage ect without me working (although not enjoying it at the moment) but when we have a baby i will be stay at home mum for first year at least maybe longer and then get a part time job as a nurse.

We are same as you Mrs N both our mums were stay at home mums and it was great, i totally understand why people would want to go back to work straight away though.

Oooh starfish, maybe i have read one of your books, i love reading, wish you could give us a clue.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back