will i still get my maternity pay if......

Dee1985

Reaction score
i get a part time job???

cleaning 2 hrs a night the money is pretty good??

iv been getting full pay on maternity leave for the first 6months but soon its going down to £106 a week for the next 6months a very big drop. but i dont want to go back to my job yet. but if i get a part time cleaning job will i still be intitled to maternity pay from my main job???

my moneys dropping my rent is dearer and my council tax has gone up.. i dont want things to get tight im used to being pretty comfortable and im not one thats affraid of a bit of hard work for money...

hmm i would think it would stop but i might be wrong :think:

I think this depends on what your contract of employment says - if you are not allowed to work for someone else whilst employed this would bind you also while on mat leave.

I know someone who was asked by a client whether she would do some freelance work for her while on paid maternity leave. She had to clear it with her employers and they were fine about it.

You will probably have to let your current employers know in any case I would think as your new employer will want to use or share your tax allowances, which your current employer currently has but is not using because not paying you.

If that makes sense?

Sami said:
It will stop babe, you asked this before didn't you?

yh i did?? couldnt remember if you found out in the end or not.

gutted i could do with some extra cash :wall:

some one offered me cash in hand working on a burger bar at a car boot. but ild not like that ild prefer scrubbing loos then creasy food

Can you not ask if the cleaning job can be cash in hand then?

it was a different guy. he just owns a burger van!!!

no i think its against the law to get paid cash in hand :think:

dionne said:

It's not illegal to get paid cash in hand, provided you declare the additional income and pay tax on it.

maybebaby said:
dionne said:

It's not illegal to get paid cash in hand, provided you declare the additional income and pay tax on it.

But that will stop her Mat pay.

I didnt have you down as a good girl Dionne and doing every by the book!! :rotfl:

xxxx

I think most companies will be similar but this is what our company states (its a building society so its a big company)

If the member of staff undertakes paid work during OML, they will lose SMP for the whole of the week in which work is undertaken.

So I guess its down to wether you get paid cash in hand or not, if you do, keep sthum, if you don't you would have to tell them!

Such a shame your pay will stop. But then it makes sense as loads of people would be doingit otherwise lol

Just to confirm Dionne found this for you on the official maternity rights government website

(website : http://www.workingfamilies.org.uk/asp/f ... rights.asp)

Working in Maternity Leave

If you work for the employer from whom you are having maternity leave this will end your maternity leave & pay with that employer, although it will not affect SMP payable from any other employer. The government is planning on introducing “keeping in touch” days so employees can go to conferences or training, but this will not apply to babies due before April 2007.

If you work after the birth for an employer for whom you were not working in the 15th week before the week the baby was due, your SMP will stop. However, if you worked for the second employer in the 15th week before the week the baby was due, you may work without affecting your SMP from your other employer. You are permitted to do self employed work without any loss of SMP.

As a general rule working anywhere, including on a self employed basis, whilst you are receiving Maternity Allowance will make you loose the benefit for the time you worked.

During Additional Maternity Leave, you are usually allowed to work for an employer from whom you are not having maternity leave, and this will not affect your maternity leave

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back