Which Spelling Ladies?xx

Young Mum 21 x

Reaction score
not 100% on the name just yet, OH needs persuading ;)
but what spelling is correct/do you prefer? thanks girlies xx

-Edit.. if ive done this right... theres a poll at the top ^^ lol x

Last edited:
I picked Finley because that is how it's spelt :oooo:

Why would you have your baby having to correct other people on the spelling of their name when the other people are spelling it correctly and he would be spelling it wrong :)

Finlay is a surname.

finley because WSS.

having to correct everyone every time is not much fun for a kid or adult... i am sure there are more interesting ways that he will show his personality and be different than the others without a misspelled name.

oh lol that sounded too harsh i think. of course is nth wrong with any choose, just an inconvenience and sth that i wouldn't do. :hug: good luck convincing your oh finley or finlay is a beautiful name

up in scotland its more commonly spelt finlay as first name :) xxxx

hehe thanks girlies! i put both spellings down as i found the name online,
which is spelt in those two ways so was abit confused myself!! ;) xxxxx

I like it with an E, but not because thats how its spelt, I just think it makes it look how it is said then. Fin-lay to me is said as in to lay down.

Although correcting people isnt bad, people have to do it all the time?!? Clare, claire, Carl, Karl, etc etc etc...

My son is called Finlay, it is a common first name and I have never had to correct anyone ;) x

Sent from my knackered iPhone

And it is pronounced Fin- lay like lay down ;) x

if thats how you pronounce it then it works! :) I always say it Fin - LEE. xx

I can only speak for my little one but his name is definitely Finlay not Finley, different names, not a mis-spelling x

Oh I see. Yeah maybe completely different in the way they are said then. I would have pronounced them the same but I get that. x

I think a lot of people (except those in Scotland) think they are the same name and Finlay is just parents trying to be cool or misspell the name, not true, different names, different pronunciation and commonly used North of the border :) xx

I see! Im Lorah- talk about correcting people! :)

I've only ever known Finlay's spelt with an A. Like nurse said, popular Scottish name and spelt with an A.

Interestingly, if you look on wiki, finlay with an A comes up mostly as first name, and E comes up mostly as a surname or place names.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finley

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finlay

(i'm a geek lol)

Seems to be spelt both ways, so guess it's whatever you prefer. Both look the same to me.

Lovely name btw.

xx

EDIT - just read cosmic's post. I didn't know that, cool.x

Last edited:
Finley for me

Have you thought about Finton as a more unusual version ?

Finlay.

I've given up correcting people as even my dad spells my name wrong (Says that my mum got it wrong not him loll)

I've had Hannah (the right one for me), Hanna(Dad and his family always use this one. Even though my name was piced from the bible and is spelt double H in Hebrew translations... lol!), Hana, Hanar(i really don't know) and usually get Anna from most people because I've from Lancs and I'm lazy and don't pronouce my H's lol! One of my clients thought I was called Emma for like 6 weeks once! Was awkward correcting him after all that time though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maegan
Back