When will you be offered a sweep - anyone had one?

EmmaLouise21

Reaction score
I am currently 39+3, due on Saturday. I have a midwife appointment on Friday and wondered whether I would be able to ask for a sweep to maybe induce labour? I think they usually wait an extra week but I am getting sooo fed up with this heat, I can hardly walk or sleep and just want this baby out! Also, does a sweep hurt, and how successful are they at starting labour off?

Last edited:
I had my first sweep when I was 40 weeks and had two further sweeps but had to be induced as they didnt work. I didnt think they were that bad but dunno if that is coz they didnt work?? Just a bit undignified (although I wudnt worry about that now!!)
xxx

I had a sweep Tuesday morning and was in labour the following day, it just depends on each person :) x

Saw mw today and shes gonna see me on my due date and give me a sweep there and then and then again the following week if no joy xxx

It's worth asking her. It seems to vary from place to place as to when they will offer you one. My mw has said they will give me a sweep if I reach 41 weeks xx

See what it says in your notes, in the bit with the list of all the appts you should have. At 39+3 my mw said I'd get one at 41 weeks but it says 40 weeks in the notes so she gave me one yesterday (exactly 40 weeks) because I argued with her.
It wasn't painful, just a bit uncomfortable. So far, no signs of impending labour! :(

Hiya, I had a sweep on my due date and went into slow labour that day! A little uncomfortable but not painful at all!
Good luck xx

I had a sweep at 40 weeks and it did nothing x

I had one at 39 weeks x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

i had a sweep at 40+3 and it was good, mw could get a good couple of fingers in and my cervix was thin and movable and she did a good sweep round babys head and i went into labour at 4.30am the next morning. it didnt hurt and tbh i was that uncomfortable anyway i didnt notice any extra discomfort while she did it.

Hi I had 3 sweeps on my previous pregnancy,first was at 38 weeks but I think that it depends on the midwife and how your pregnancy has been, I was measuring very big and they could tell I couldn't take much more so they were happy to try.not that they worked mind:)x

I was offered a sweep at 41 + 1 with my first pregnancy. However, my waters broke just before I left to go to the surgery so I never had it done. Phew!

I had a sweep with my 1st at 41+1 and i started in labour the next day. But with my second i had a sweep at 38+1 and it did nothing, had another sweep at 40+1 and it still did nothing so i think it all depends on when baby's ready. I didn't find they hurt, a little uncomfortable but nothing too bad.

I had a sweep at 38 weeks due to being booked in for an induction 2 days later. Was being induced due to my waters being dangerously low for LO and she was on the small side. Sweep didn't work x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back