Anyone had a sweep when babies head is NOT engaged?

JSS

Reaction score
I had my 39 week appointment yesterday and the baby is still floating around in there! The midwife said that if the head is not engaged by my 40 week appointment next week then she can't do the sweep and will have to send me to the consultant.

She did mention that the consultant may do the sweep herself even if the head is NOT engaged! :shock: Sounds pretty painful to me!!... Anyone else heard of this?

If she doesn't want to perform the sweep she will book me in for induction 10 days after my due date.

I so hope that I go naturally ....I'm going to bounce like mad on my birthing ball all week

i'm not sure but i think u cant do the sweep if ur LO not engaged as the cervix not low enough?

You must be able to do a sweep if the head isn't engaged because the head doesn't always engage before birth anyway, especially for second timers.

I was booked in for a sweep yesterday at term, and she didn't indicate that there would be any circumstances (other than already having the baby!) which would stop them doing it at this point.
This is at the consultants clinic though, so maybe its just midwives who can't do it?

I think it's incase you go into labour and the head isnt sitting in the pelvis, should your waters break there is a risk that the cord might prolapse down before the babies head, so they have to be a little carefull!

Just wanted to add JSS that my consultant wouldnt do a sweep on me today because my babies head is free :cry:

I think some do and some dont, depends on your consultnt and hospital i guess.
Dont see why not though, i mean the whole idea of a sweep is to get your labour started, not pleasant i know, but when your in labour 9/10 the head will engage anyway.
What have they got to lose?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back