When to tell

number2

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just wondering peoples opinions on when to tell everyone? I know the old '12 week' rule most people stick to but I just think I can't wait that long! For me, that will be February!

For 1, everyone who knows me knows I like a drink, and 3 friends have already worked it out just simply because I said 'Oh, I'm driving tonight, didn't fancy drinking' Just think it will be more of a headache covering it up, constantly making excuses that no one will believe.

Think it would be nice to tell my family xmas day (i'll be 6 1/2 weeks) when we are all together, and then sure the news will filter out by January.

Also, my 3 year old a couple of months ago asked for a baby for his christmas present (bless!) as he loves babies so much, and I just know how excited he'd be knowing mummy had a baby in her tummy!

I'm rubbish - am only 5 weeks but have told all of my family and friends! Am going to wait until 12 weeks to tell work but apart from that everyone knows. At the end of the day, if things do go wrong I want to be able to share it with family and friends and not suffer in silence. I'm just way to excited to keep it to myself!!!

Personally I told everyone straight away. I think if anything were to happen the same people would know because I'd need their support. My eldest was 14 when I had my last baby so I didnt mind telling her early either because if anything were to happen, she'd know something was wrong and she's old enough to comprehend. I'm not sure when I'd tell a 3yr old though....my best friend waited 12 weeks to tell her 5 yr old because she didnt feel she was old enough to have to deal with it should it not work out.

:)

Me and OH told our sisters when I was 5+6 (they are best friends and we are both v close to them) I told so early due to problems early on.. Then told my mum at about 7 weeks because I felt sick getting ready for work one day and she asked was it my period :lol: so I couldn't lie to her.. I personally think it's okay to tell close relatives.. I didn't put it on facebook or anything until I was around 11 weeks.. Just to be sure, and other people putting me off telling.. It's so hard to keep it in though! Would be a lovely suprise for your family at Christmas, but I say do what you feel is right

I think you should tell people when you feel the time is right for you!!

My OH has a four year old daughter and although we were going to wait to tell her until 12 weeks OH could not control himself and blurted out there was a baby in my tummy that would be her brother or sister. ( he's never been good at secrets) needless to say shes over the moon and its all she talks about. :)

Mine and OH parents and grandparents know, we told them the day we found out i was pregnant. I had to tell my sisters because i live with them so OH then told his brother.
Thats as far as our news has gone so far. I have a scan at 11 weeks (to my dates) so we will probably tell everyone after that just to be sure everythings OK. :)

we have told people again this time, as MM says really, for support and a bit of grounding, my sister waited til after her 12 week scan though, I guess it depends on how u like/tend to deal with stuff, so just go with what feels right too u :flower:

We have told our close family but will wait until after the scan to announce it; just so that we have it to ourselves for 3 months then its not a long 9 month wait of people asking how you're feeling?! I cant wait to get it out in the open though :)

We didn't tell anyone except mum/dad's untill 12 week but with hindsight I think it may have been better if everyone knew, cos I'd have had to tell them anyways if something had happened

:dance:With my last three we told people straight away, I have been slightly more cautious this time and have only told my sister and three close freinds. I'm not going to be able to hide much longer and my son 9 and daughter 7 have already twigged! I can't lie:fib: so when they ask me i have to say "you never know", but with all the baby talk and the discovery of 3 baby magazines my detectives are hot on my heels. Would like to wait until we hear the heart beat to confirm. As for family we will probably tell them aound Christmas.
Good luck with your pregnancy and welcome to the forum:dance:

I've had two very difficult pregnancies, only one of which was successful so I don't I would be able to tell anyone until after 12 weeks.

With Niamh I told my family when I was about 16 weeks I think. I can't really remember :oops: May have been a bit later. Before that the only people who knew were my OH, and my sister.

With my first baby, I never told anyone I was PG. Only my then partner knew.

I would just go with your feelings. Like MervsMum said, it would be nice to have the support network around you.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Like a few of you have said, even if some did happen, I would still tell people as I would like the support, I really hate being secretive.
I'm not supersticious, and everyone will find out some point anyway, so I'm just gonna go for it. Think I'm going to write my familys christmas cards 'love from Alex and ?' Although knowing my family they probably won't even twig!

I'm also one of those people who is rubbish at accepting congratulations. I'm not a fan of hugging, and just would prefer to tell everyone, and then carry on with the day, but I know it'll be all they'll talk about then. God, I do sound ungrateful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back