• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

When to get a scan - 9+ weeks or 11+ weeks

lumie

Reaction score
I'm meeting my midwife today and will be booking my scan... the question is when do I book? I am going on holiday from the 10th to the 26th of August. According to my dates I will be 9 weeks pregnant (starting week 10) on the 9th. But if we go by my LMP I will be 1 week more.

So should I get the scan on the 9th or wait until I am back from holidays on the 27th - will they be able to tell much at 9 weeks? If I wait another 2 weeks will I be able to see much more - is it worth it? Will they be able to date the pregnancy more effectively at one time or the other? Can they do the Nuchal Fold test and anything else they do at 9 weeks or is it too early? Any advice would be great.

Thanks a mil
Lumie

Thanks for the advice midna
I'm not sure to what extent I will have a choice but I guess I could try pushing for before or after - it says in my booking pack that it is 2 weeks after my first appointment so that would be before my holiday. I would probably wait to see more except that I understand that they can date it more accurately before 11 weeks. I'm pretty confident of my dates but still I wouldn't want to have got it wrong... and have to be induced or wait to be induced when I should have done it already....

Midna, what else do they tell you / can you see at the 12 week scan? I had one at 7 weeks and next one is not until 20 weeks

lumie... i know their meant to give better dates from an earlier scan,
but i went for a scan at 6w5d because i was bleeding.. but then i went for my dating scan at 12 weeks and they put me forward 2 weeks.

so unless it was smaller than average at 6 weeks or just a big baby now im not sure

You're right Midna, it is a bloody postcode lottery - I wouldn't refuse if they offered me a scan but at the same time I'm kinda ok about it as I keep telling myself that as recent as 15 years ago my sister in law only had one scan at 18 weeks (which she tells me was standard then) and my mum never had any....

We want more cos there's more available these days and it's great to be able to spot these things early but I just feel that as long as my symptoms continue normally and I keep growing I have faith that baby's gonna be just fine :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qwertyuiop33
Back