When did you tell people the news?

chaya5738

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am wondering when you all told people your news.
The reason I ask is that we had planned to tell our families just before xmas when I will be 12 weeks. But my scan isn't til 14 weeks so I am worried about telling them before the scan and then there being nothing there.
We live in a different country from our families so won't be spending xmas with them so it is not like we have to tell them before then to explain why I am not drinking. But we thought it would be nice xmas news.
We are spending xmas day with many of our friends and I'd like to tell them the news then but are thinking perhaps we should tell our families but not our friends til after the scan.
What did everyone else do? Did you have different "announcement" dates depending on whether you were telling family or friends? Did you wait for the first scan?
Thanks so much!

Ours was quite staggered actually.

My parents at 7 weeks - needed to tell someone and I know they can keep a secret
My sister at 9 weeks - again needed to tell someone
His parents, brother's Sister-in-law, (her parents and brother they were visiting at the time) - 12 weeks

Scan at 13 weeks - told everyone else that day (Inc friends). Hubby is telling anyone and everyone who will listen, (our neightbours and accountants etc) bless, he's all excited :dance:

I know what you mean tho and for that very reason we had a scan at 8 weeks but I still worried about the 13 week scan :roll:

We told my parents as soon as we knew, as we were going to their house that day for lunch anyway, and were too excited not to!

Our two closest friends we told at 6 weeks, the OH's parents & brother we told at 7 weeks, and my siblings at around 9 weeks. Once we had the dating scan, we told anyone who'd listen! I can understand you wanting to wait until your scan - as soon as we told the people who knew beforehand, I immediately started fretting about it. But I reasoned that the people I told were the ones I want to know if things went wrong anyway - if that makes sense :hug:

We told our parents a few days after we found out and then they were SUPPOSED to keep it secret until after early dating scan but didn't. As soon as I'd seen heartbeat and knew baby was in the right place and everything I told basically anyone who would listen but most of them knew already thanks to overexcited grandparents :shakehead:

I told my familly straight away (4 wks) and close friends within a couple of weeks of that.

I was going to wait until after scan to tell everyone else, but spoke to a close friend of mine who had had two miscarriages (plus 3 healthy babies) and she said with the first m/c she didnt tell anyone she was pregnant and found it hard explaining to people that she had been pregnant and now she wasnt. With the second she told everyone straight away and found she had a better support system of friends and family when things went wrong.

Its really up to you share the news, but I am glad that my family have known and that I have had their support and understanding from day one

Hi am just 4/5 weeks cant see GP until 29th Dec - Husband and I really happy so we have decided to tell parents etc on new years day this way I have seen GP might get a rough due date so more to tell them etc.

But I totally agree its up to you - when you tell people why not share some good news there is enough bad in the world at present - x :)

We told both sets of parents the night I got the BFP at 4 weeks. After the follow up to the emergency scan we decided to tell DH's grannie and brother (plus family) at around 6 weeks. Told our bosses this week at 8 weeks mainly because we work for the same company and trying to be discreet is difficult when you need unexplained leave for appointments.

We're planning on telling friends and workmates after the 1st proper scan in mid-January although I have told one person in work (5 weeks) as DH goes away on business & meetings so I felt someone should be aware of the circumstances.

I told a couple of close friends and my mum when i found out i was pregnant im waiting untill after my scan on the 22nd of this mth to tell everyone else

With baby 1 we told my half sister immediately (I was around 5 weeks then), my in-laws at 7 weeks (funny story about that) and everyone else at 12 weeks. However we told my dad and other sister at 18w5d when we lost the baby (long story behind why we didn't tell them until then).

With this baby we told my half sister, my best friend and my in-laws immediately (once I got BFP at 4 weeks), my dad and other sister were informed by e-mail a day later. Church found out at 6w when I went up for the blessing for pregnant mothers on the second Sunday of Advent. We're telling the rest of the family at Christmas when we see them. Others will find out after the Christmas (school)holidays.

My OH told one of his collegues at 7w because he confided that his OH was pregnant and I think my OH just wanted to say 'me too'. My OH told his boss at 7w because he needed time off to come for an early scan with me.

I haven't told anyone yet but we'll be telling both sets of parents at Xmas when I'll be 10w. Ideally I'd like to wait until I've had the next scan to double check everything is ok but I live 300miles for my folks and want to tell them in person as this will be their first grandchild. I have the photo from the 7w scan to show them at that time too.

Luckily I work from home so don't have a boss to tell etc. I'll be telling al my friends after the 12wk scan.

I think when you tell people is up to you and how you feel. I've been dying to confide in someone ever since I found out but don't want anyone to know before my folks just in case the news gets back to them somehow.

Thanks everyone! This is really helpful. I think I will tell our parents and some close friends at 12 weeks and friends coworkers after the scan.

ps: my ticker has somehow expired, which is a bit concerning. I hope it isn't a sign!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back