When did you all start buying things for your little ones?

Little miss pink

Reaction score
Hi Everyone :wave: :wave:

Up until now we've only been collecting wipes, nappies, creams etc etc to help with the costs later on and because i was too nervous to buy anything big in case anything went wrong with the pregnancy.

But on Monday we have our 20 weeks scan :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: And i'm praying everything is ok :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: So i was thinking if it all goes well i might celebrate by going out and buying some things for the baby like push chairs and moses baskets etc etc

But do you think this still might be a little early?

LMP x

I havent bought much really!..

Had clothes and things bought for us though from family/friends!

we didnt buy anything till after our 20weeks scan..not that we have got alot now but we wanted to wait till we knew the sex of them and to make sure everything was ok with them both

I think it depends on what you feel happy doing :)

I'm 29 weeks and all I've done is buy the basics in clothes for 0-3 months (8 sleepsuits, 8 vests, 2 hats, cardi, 2 outfits, socks and a few other bits), order the pram for arrival later on and we got given a lovely cot from a friend, but we don't like it as it is not height adjustable so will get a new one in the next few weeks.

The rest we will start buying in a couple of weeks until about a month before. We've worked it out so we will have all the essentials first, and anything else can wait till nearer LO arriving or afterwards if need be.

We bought clothes after our 20 week scan as we bought 6 month plus stuff in the winter sale and also some of the 0-3 month stuff, but as LO will be here in late spring and early summer, I bought most of that at full price. Was thinking ahead and got things like a great winter coat from Next for £10 instead of £22.

I've started early and been buying little things already but only stuff that's a bargain and as above to help with costs later!

Bought 6packs os Johnsons wipes in Asda for £5 last night and also as Johnsons hamper reduced from £30 to £10 so couldn't resist. Got a few basic clothes (sleep suits, mittens etc) oh and a pack of Pampers from boots but that's as I had my baby club voucher come through to get a free changing bag, changing mat and wash when I bought them!

My brother has 3 boys - 1 is 18months and other is 2 months, so they have loads of stuff they're giving us and 2 friends have 1 year old girls and offering all sorts of bits!

We have a little trip to France to see my Nan 4 days after my 20 week scan so will probably start looking more for stuff then as its cheaper there! xx

This is my second baby so don't really need too much, just some new baby clothes really and a small cot, as my son still sleeps in his cotbed - we have taken the sides off so it's like a junior bed now. But with my first baby, I was buying stuff quite early on, only small things like sleepsuits, wipes, nappies etc. I think we started buying the bigger stuff around 20 weeks, it seems like a nice time to settle into it and start looking around for stuff. At least then you know baby is safe and growing well, and it's the half way point so once you get past it, you'll start to get quite big and won't always feel like going out shopping for too long! I remember going to pick up our travel system when I was about 34 weeks and the size of a house, I was so uncomfortable and all I wanted to do was sit down and rest all the time! x

Straight after my 20 week scan I went to babies r us and came back with a travel system!!!!!!! So go for it I say!!!! Enjoy baby shopping, it's SO much fun!

i think we'll wait untill our 20weeks scan in April to start buying. otherwise we'll just have junk collecting up in our house.
We may be moving to the US in the next few months too, so dont think ill want to be lugging much stuff, plus everything is 100 times cheaper over there.
My dad is buying our travell system, so its on oder now, but not from my pocket :)

I haven't got anything so far. Tell a lie my hubby got the baby a teddy which he did with my son so that was sweet :D but I haven't really got much to buy with this being my second. With my son I had the travel system at about 18 weeks cos it was on sale and I kept it in the loft at my mum's out of sight. Everything else I waited until after 20 weeks.

I'm putting a deposit down for a cot and pram after my twenty week scan. :D I am really excited!

:rotfl: :rotfl: I started buying at 9 weeks :rotfl:
By 20 weeks I'd already spent £100s.
Do what feels right to you :hug:

My situation is a little different, my only source of income is my full time job and I won't be getting any help financially from the dad or anyone else.

Anyway, I was so so so naughty!!! After my first scan I bought the pram with car seat, cot, mattress, sheets, changing mat, bathing unit, steriliser, baby bouncer, sleeping bag!!

I'll try not to buy anything little because A) any money I earn now HAS to go on baby... and B) my mum has very kindly offered to buy the nappies, baby wipes, creams etc and put them altogether in a big ol' hamper so that I don't have to worry too much about the little things.

I'm also expecting LOTS of clothes etc as this is the first Grandchild and the first Great Grandchild! OOoooh spoilt!!!

xx

I haven't bought anything yet...I'm excited about doing it but for some reason I just can't choose things at the moment. I think I am just feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the choice. My friend has bought me a lovely little hamper with all the little essentials to get started. I've also been offered quite a few used items from friends too...so I guess I'm trying to work out what I need, like or what's most practical. I expect that once I've made the first purchase, there will be no stopping me.

we got clothes, travel system and carry cot from SIL. She also has a cot which we will get closer to the time as it will go in our room.

We are thinking of emigrating when bubs is only a few months old so if we don't like SIL's stuff we'll use it anyway and get new stuff in new country.

Sandi

with my others i didnt start buying till i was 30 + weeks

gosh -you're all so organised-I haven't bought anything yet!!!! :shock:
Me and Dh are going to look at travel sysyems and nursery furniture at the week end tho.... I'm so excited!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
I'll probably go crazy buying clothes nearer the time.

Just a quick question really, I've been part of schemes where you get a group of people together and approach a supplier with a view to getting a discount for buying in bulk. The last one I did was where 40,000 people put forward £25 to get £200 of software.

Has anything like this been attempted with baby supplies? It seems like a forum such as this, with so many members, could easily get enough people together to try a bulk purchase of something.

On one hand it would be great for the supplier - good publicity and getting one over on the competitor and on the other great for the people involved, we could save a lot of money.

Imagine if we could find 2,000 people (potentially more?) to promise to spend £250 in, for example, Mothercare, we should be able to wangle a good discount of some kind or a package worth £500 for our £250.

Perhaps it would be even more effective for an independent supplier such as those promoting their goods at the baby show later this month.

One might be selling moses baskets worth £70. If we could offer them 1,000 sales we could probably get them down to £25. Every penny helps.

Am I talking rubbish or might there be something in this?

(Oh, I forgot, it would be great publicity for the forum and they already have relationships with suppliers via advertising on here so it shouldn't be too difficult to set up).

And one other thing, the software scheme we did, £250,000 from the profits were actually donated to charity. This could be another great benefit, we could donate some of the money to a children's cause...

I haven't got much at all yet :think:

Although we have made a wishlist at Mothercare as family want to buy some bits too.

I've got a Cot already which was my daughters, just need a new mattress for it :)

Apart from that we have no big stuff. Have bought lots of teddies, some sleepsuits, babygros, mittens etc :cheer:

We're on a tight budget so we have to get things a bit at a time

Oh sod it i think i'm just going to do it!!! I'm going to go out after the scan and have a bit of a splurge!! I've just been so excited but waited and waited and i think i'll be on such a high (or i'm hoping i will be :pray: :pray: :pray: ) after the scan it would be lovely to go out and celebrate by buying some things.

Thanks for sharing what you've all done and your thoughts.... i guess your right you've just got to do what feels right for you.

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

I cannot believe on Tuesday i'll be half way :cheer: :cheer:

LMP x

i've got a few little clothes and a couple of sleeping bags, since week 11, because DH wanted us to both start getting excited instead of worrying so much.

TBH i think its better to buy wee things here and there to spead the cost but also remind you theres a good reason why you might be feeling poo. I'm not superstitous!

Pram and 'hardware' purchases will come later as I always like to research big purchaes to ensure i get the thing right for me!

Might pop into asda that hamper for a tenner sounds a bargain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zain mansoor
Back