When can you increase feed amounts?

SunnyGirl

Reaction score
Eliot is 6 weeks old today :)yay:) and he's on 5oz every 4 hours in the day. He finishes every bottle now and seems hungry afterwards. We gave him an extra oz in between feeds and he had that, too. The side of the formula box says at 2 months he can have 6oz. Can I up it now?

I upped it as he needed rather than what it said on the box. If he's draining every bottle and still looking for more I'd up it x

What Helen said! I never went by what the tin said. He he's drinking it all then up the bottle, if he starts leaving milk then lower it x

The same as helen and lm.... If my lo drained it i would up it by 1oz sometimes he wouldnt finish so i dropped it again!

Thanks ladies! It's what we did from 4 to 5 oz - for some reason I lost my confidence to do it again. I'm going too much by guidelines. Time to listen to my actual child lol! Thanks again - its good to get reassurance and advice xxx

I never followed guidlines! Dont worry hun. Every baby is completely different!

He did a 6oz! He brought some of it back up but then he's prone to that on 5oz, too...
I'll see how he goes on this. Xxx

Elexia has now been on 6oz's for over a week now at first she was bringing some back so i was wondering whether to drop back down to 5oz but after a day or so she was draining the 6oz bottles, she still brings some back especially when she needs to fill her nappy. Stick with it hunny x x

Thanks lovely :hugs:
Yes that's what happened last time I upped it - took a few days for him to get used to it. Aw!
Wow at your baby girl!! She's ace! Xx

How often should I give him the 6oz? Stick to every 4 hours? Xx

Sophia is up to 6oz bottles now too, has been for the last few days and she just turned 5 weeks today :)

She pretty much drains all of them but the odd feed she will leave an oz and she is feeding still every 3-4 hours, usually 3 hourly!! Although last night she slept through without a feed at all until 7:30am! We think she needs hungry baby milk really but I don't wanna change it until I've spoken to HV as they think she needs comfort milk argh!

How often should I give him the 6oz? Stick to every 4 hours? Xx

I didnt have a set amount of hours inbetween feeds, sometimes it could be 3 sometimes 4 or 5! I just let my lo guide me iykwim. At first it changed alot but gradually he slipped into his own feeding routine.

I was wondering about this too, my HV said, always up by an oz when they drain the bottle but the side of tub said different, i'm gona go with what she said. Kayden is draining 5oz & wana move up to 6 but sometimes he guzzles too much down & ends up sick so might start & see how we get on.

:)

Eliot went a crazy 10 hours the other night - don't worry, it was a fluke hehe! - so I don't know at what point to step in and say OK that's long enough. Is there an upper limit? x

Jealous of all of you! Jack has a feed every 3hrs and only manages 4oz! He's always been a little and often baby! I wish he'd take 6oz over a longer period of time but I doubt he ever will! x

Eliot went a crazy 10 hours the other night - don't worry, it was a fluke hehe! - so I don't know at what point to step in and say OK that's long enough. Is there an upper limit? x

If it was over night I wouldn't worry too much. theyll always let u know if they're hungry. D slept 13hrs the 1st time he slept through at 9ish weeks n I must have needed the sleep too as I slept right through aswell!

I agree hun - he will let you know what he wants. At his age now my first daughter was sleeping through sometimes 10 hours every night. Never effected her weight gain so she was obv getting enough during the day time. She was a happy and content baby so I just went with it. Sophia has slept 8 hours straight the last two nights and I can see her following in Grace's footsteps. Sophia I'd certainly gaining fine. I have been keeping a daily diary of her feeds etc as I wanted to see exactly what she was getting - you will be surprised over the day what they have! I didn't think she was possibly getting the oz's she should have but she was! It helped me to relax so much more xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back