Ounces per feed?

Amanda

Reaction score
Hiya all :wave: It seems ages since I've been on - Charlie keeps me sooooo busy, but I'm loving it!

I just wanted to know if any of you can remember how much your LO was taking at the age of 2 months. I wasn't worried at all as Charlie is very happy and putting weight on steadily, but a passing comment made yesterday by MIL got me thinking. He's on C & G Comfort to stop him throwing up and he no longer has constipation on this, so this may make a difference as it is thicker than other formula.

This is Charlie's routine:
6am - 3-4 oz then he's awake till next feed
10am - 4-5 oz then he goes for a nap till about 1pm
2pm - 4-5 oz then he dozes on and off for 15 mins at a time
6pm - 4-5 oz then he's awake till next feed
9pm (he just won't wait till 10pm) - 3-4 oz then bed
2am - 3-4 oz then straight back to bed

The hours are brill for me as they fall perfect for the school run, but obviously I would love it if he could cut out the 2am one. When he doesn't take much formula, there is no point in trying to force more down him. He just chews on the teat, and then any little extra that's gone down will come back up about 10 mins later. Or he will fall sleep on the bottle, and then there is no waking him! According to the box of formula, a 2 month old should be taking 6 oz per feed, but only having 5 feeds a day.

Like I said, Charlie is very happy (he's currently sitting next to me in his swing giggling at GMTV!), but should I be worried about his feeds? Or does anyone have any tips about how to increase the milk without him throwing it back up, or cutting out the 2am one??

Hun that all sounds fine. very similer to what Dior was having. at that age though Harley was having 7oz but hes a ganit :lol:

maybe on the 10pm feed you should try the hungry baby milk see if it cuts out the 2am feed?

but its still very early days and i think its a great routine :clap:

welldone mummy and Charlie :)

like you said, if Hes happy and his weight is fine, then thats great :D

hiya, thats a good routine you got going. Any chance you could try feeding him at 11ish and maybe he might drop the 2am.

Im more inclined to go by the weight of the baby rather than the age on the side of the tins. It always seems to be more acurate and suits me as my kids are big.

dionne said:
maybe on the 10pm feed you should try the hungry baby milk see if it cuts out the 2am feed?

I tried this with ellis and the fat milk gave him a bad belly for a few days so didnt do it again.

Ellis was also doing between 4-5 ounces at charles age but every 3 hrs. No as he is teething he is only taking 2 ounces!!!!

xxxxxxxxxx

lauramumof2 said:
hiya, thats a good routine you got going. Any chance you could try feeding him at 11ish and maybe he might drop the 2am.

Thanks everyone. That's made me feel better.

Laura - did you mean that the 11pm feed should be as well as the 9pm one, or instead of? I think I'd struggle with either to be honest as he's a little bugger with feeding. With his 4-hourly routine, he really should hang on till 10pm, but he just won't, so I know he wouldn't make it till 11pm. And dream feeding to add an extra one is out of the question as he has to be asleep when he feeds or he doesn't suck! :roll: Thanks for the suggestion though. I'll bear it in mind for if he does change.

Keely said:
dionne said:

I tried this with ellis and the fat milk gave him a bad belly for a few days so didnt do it again.

Ellis was also doing between 4-5 ounces at charles age but every 3 hrs. No as he is teething he is only taking 2 ounces!!!!

xxxxxxxxxx

Harley was terrible with it too. i never used it again, but it worked wonders for Dior, she only had the hungry baby milk from then on to as it was better for her???? strange!

Tankett ild stick with what your doing its a great routine.

Hi Tankett, have you tried giving him a dummy at 2am? Perhaps he just wants to suckle? He sounds so cute giggling away, bless!

hiya, yep i meant 9 and a 11pm feed but i know some just cant dream fed, joe is still getting the hang of it. We call him random guy because no 2 days are the same with him whereas you could set your watch by jessica. Weans :roll:

skatty said:
Hi Tankett, have you tried giving him a dummy at 2am? Perhaps he just wants to suckle? He sounds so cute giggling away, bless!

He sometimes wakes at about midnight, but I can tell he's not hungry so I give him a dummy and he goes straight back off. He's definitely hungry at 2am (and it's usually 2am on the dot!), so I think I'm just going to have to put up with the broken sleep a bit more. Oh well. :roll:

Jacob was the same.. he wouldn't wait for his 10pm feed so i started giving him some water at 9pm then giving him his 10pm feed at 9.30pm... he would then wake between 2 and 3am. I tried giving him his dummy but he was definately hungry. Then someone told me to try feeding him every 3 1/2 hours instead of 4 to keep him from getting hungry and screaming for his bottle. I did and he started sleeping throu. It's brilliant... i feed him as follows.

7am - milk (between 6 and 7oz) - i have to wake him.
10.30am - baby porridge and 4oz milk
2pm - milk (between 6 and 7oz)
5.30pm - milk (between 6 and 7oz)
9pm to 9.30pm - milk (between 6 and 7oz)

Bed at 10pm and then I wake him at 7am... he's never cries for his feed like he did when i used to feed him every 4 hours and he's on his birth line in his red book. He fell below his birth line when he was first born but he caugh up and he's doing brilliantly now.

x

Hey Tankett!! I pm'd u yesterday.. sorry I have been a stranger!!
Hayley... thanks for your text and I just re sent my pm to you as I don't think it went yesterday...xxx

Didnt see this thread earlier.. similar to what I just posted about not knowing how much Lara should be having.. the guidelines for age are so irrelevant when they are not the average size.. Lara is still underweight for her age [12 weeks and is 10lbs 7oxz] so I cannot go by the usual recommendations... I just feed her breast / bottle until she won't take any more... ??!!!

Hayley jacob's routine sounds fab.. i agree with the feeding every 3-3 1/2 hours though.. laras on a similar thing..
7am feed
10-10.30 feed
2-2-30 feed
5pm half a feed
6pm bath
6.30 rest of feed
bed asleep by 7pm
she wakes me up around 3-4am for another feed and then sleeps through til 7am.

Unless of course she is on a spurt.. then its every 2- 2 1/2 hours!!!!

xx

Hi Tankett, Stanley feeds at very similar time to Charlie (and is still on Comfort) but he takes 6oz at a time. Mind you he is a chunk at well over 13lb. :)

I'm still very much feeding on demand. As tempting as tricks with water/timing/baby rice may be to me he's still tiny, we're still getting to know each other and I'll just listen to what he needs.

I can understand people with other children needing to get some sort of routine established, but as it's just the boy and me we'll keep going until he settles into a routine of his own.

Sleeping through the night last week turned out to be a one off! :roll: Oh well! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back