when can M/W hear Heartbeat ?

kimisgirl

Reaction score
Does anyone know when the earliest the midwife can hear the baby's hearbeat is ?

I still haven't heard from hospital about booking in appointment or scan but I do have appointment with my surgery's midwife next tuesday and I'm wondering if she will be able to check for heartbeat.

I have been having slight blood like discolouration when wiping over the last few days and had a very evident 'brown spot' last night so I'm really starting to worry especially as most of (if not all) of my symptoms have totally gone.

I'm sure the blood is 'old' as it's not bright red or pink and it's not enough to be showing on my pantyliner (sorry TMI) just when wiping. I'm really getting quite miserable now waiting to have some kind of check to see that baby is ok.

My midwife says she will try hear heartbeat at 15 weeks so I'm guessing they cant really hear it til then :(

I had my first scan last week and the midwife put me at 6 + 5 and we could see and hear the heartbeat. The information I have is that a heartbeat can be detected at 6 weeks plus but I could be wrong!

Hi,

I've asked this type of question before, and I think most people said that the midwifes don't check until later on (15+ weeks) so no use for us!
I have my first midwife appt on friday and I'd love her to have a check, I'll let you know if she does.
Two weeks ago I had some dark brown blood/mucus for a day or two, and I know how worrying it is. Hopefully you'll hear from them soon for an appointment.

xxxx

my midwife checked mine at 11weeks and i could hear it fine

she did try at 9weeks but warned me not to get uoset if i heard nothing as they cant always hear it so early.

hi ithink heartbeat can be heard from 9 weeks but depends on position of baby so may not be able to hear it till 11 weeks. ask your midwife she will probably try. you can rent dopplers that say you can hear heartbeat from 10 weeks so i suppose it depends on the position of baby etc. i aint seen my midwife yet and aint got a scan for 2 weeks, i also had brown discharge a few weeks ago but was told it was fairly common. hope everything goes ok hun. xxxxx

Thanks girls,

On a good note, the midwife is a good friend of one of my close friends, everyone says she is really nice so I am sure if I tell her my fears she will at least try to hear the heartbeat for me.

My second scan was 6w5d and the heartbeat was clearly visable.
A scan at 9w3d enabled us to hear it clearly.

Have you thought about renting/purchasing a doppler to use at home, it gives me such peace of mind to listen to that.

OK, so I didn't know what a doppler was :oops: so googled it and now so need one!!!!

The only problem with the doppler is you are unlikely to be able to hear anything before 12 weeks - My advise would be to see if you can make an appt with your midwife to see if she can hear. Alternatively go to your dr. they should refer you to EPU at your local hospital for an early scan.

Best of luck chances are its just old blood having worked it way out of your body.

Ill beable to listen to my babys heart beat on monday :dance: :dance:
Ill be 15 weeks and i cant wait its a shame my MW wouldnt do it earlier.
But i am on about hiring a doppler off ebay so i can listen to it when i want :dance: :dance:

We brought a doppler for our last pregnancy and we found his heart beat when i was just over 8 weeks and we listerned to it weekly from then .... We finally found our new bundle of joys heartbeat at 9 weeks + 6 days which was last saturday :D so really chuffed, so you can hear the heartbeat way before 15 weeks, just takes a little time to find it, but well worth it :D

I heard mine at 8 weeks when I went for a scan but I don't think the midwife can hear it till about 12 weeks.

My m/w found h/b at 15 weeks but warned me then she might not be able to find it.

A word of warning about the dopplers ..Your choice wether you get one or not but think if it will make you more panicky if you can't find it. When i was in hosp when I was 20 weeks it took the m/w half an hour to find h/b as my little boy doesn't like it and kept moving, he still doesn't like it but can't get away as easily now.

Yes there is that Cloud9 ... i found that with my little boy he moved out of the way and over to the other side, but as you say when they get bigger they can't hide away from it as easy.

We had one from when i was 7 weeks with my last boy, and as i said we herd him at the end of the 8 week ... and not till 10 weeks with this pregnancy, it is hard to find baby when it is before 12 weeks but can be done and we have both times, once you know where to look which is a lot lower down than you think it will be you do find it. We only then use it every week or other week, and make a recording of the heart beat that changes so much from month to month, i still have my last boys recording on cd.... They are great little gadgets and when you hear baby's hiccups that's something else :D

I asked my midwife why they don't listen till 15 weeks as we have clearly herd our baby's heartbeat she said it was because it can be tricky to find in the 1st trimester and they only have a certain time with each lady, and don't do it in case they can't locate the heartbeat and panic the mother, but it can be herd way before the 15th week.

they still haven't check here heartbeat, although when i had some pink discharge at 15 weeks they scanned me and the woman let me her for like 10 second..

and i have a doppler so i'm always listening

:D It's great isn't it neeko to be able to have a listern to baby when you want too... best feeling ever to hear baby's heartbeat :D

yes it is.... i love hearing her and when she moves, but she doesn't like doppler so i have to catch when she's sleeping or she will just move :lol: :lol:

I don't think any of them like the doppler, they always try and wriggle away it gets like a little game they move and you try to find them again quite sweet really :D

When did you first hear her heartbeat did you manage to find it in the 1st trimester?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back