• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What would you say is acceptable???

kelsey

Reaction score
Its my sons friends birthday and they're having the party on saturday. The boy who will be 7 wants money in his card so that he can get what he want. Ok thats fair enough but how much is acceptable???

I used to give a fiver in cards but times have changed

Would you say that a fiver is ok to give?

Ooh thats a hard one, I think its a bit weird that the parents are asking for money to be put in a card TBH. I would put in a tenner if it was me though

Snuggle said:
Ooh thats a hard one, I think its a bit weird that the parents are asking for money to be put in a card TBH. I would put in a tenner if it was me though

yeah i thought that too. I was on the phone to the childs mum and i asked what sort of things he was in to (so that i could get something he liked)

So she asked him what he's into and he goes ooh just tell them to give me money :shock: :shock: :shock:

I asked the mum whether she wanted me to get a pressie or give him money and she said oo you might as well just give him money so he can get what he wants

If you bought something chances are it would be more than a tenner!!!

Id stick a tenner in, I bet everyone else does a tenner too.

I'd be inclined to give a present still then tbh. But then I am stubborn like that. Also if you give £10, someone else gives £5 and then another gives £20 its a bit :shock: :shock: :shock: and unfair as the child will know who gave how much. I don't like that thought. Just I can't explain in words why not. But then I am funny like that. I like to give presents as its a more personal thing.

If its meant to be a present from one friend to another then money at such a young age seems a shame. Also it might be one of those things your son wants to try as his friend has done it (and probably gotten a fair lump sum from it). If you are ready for that possibility then fair enough.

If you add it up, say 10 people go to the party and all give £10.... thats a lot of cash. The child could buy a big present from it is the advantage.

And holy crap. How much money do parents spend on other kids birthdays over a year :shock: Times it by the number of chilldren you have and their ages... :shock:

Sherlock said:
And holy crap. How much money do parents spend on other kids birthdays over a year :shock: Times it by the number of chilldren you have and their ages... :shock:

Absolutely agree - we're just getting into this now. Have had so so many 1st birthday parties over the summer to buy for as its all DD's friends. And still have many more to come. All different groups of friends too so some I can't suggest a 'secret birthday santa'.

I am trying to stockpile for future birthday presents and Christmas presents already from the Book People at work, car boot sales and charity shops (like new), the sales etc as we just don't have that kind of money.

Valentine Xxx

valentine said:
Sherlock said:

Absolutely agree - we're just getting into this now. Have had so so many 1st birthday parties over the summer to buy for as its all DD's friends. And still have many more to come. All different groups of friends too so some I can't suggest a 'secret birthday santa'.

I am trying to stockpile for future birthday presents and Christmas presents already from the Book People at work, car boot sales and charity shops (like new), the sales etc as we just don't have that kind of money.

Valentine Xxx

its so true, i probably sound really cheap for saying £5 but then thats what we would get and now if we are lucky to get anything me and my brothers and sister would only be given that much from familly. mum and dad spend £10-£15 on us at bdays probably because im from a big familly. But when I was 7 if I were given money I wouldnt take note of who gave what I would of always just looked at how much I had all together at 7 £5 seemed like loads let alone if everyone that was going to my party gave that much. but i liked surprises best....mum and dad got me a minie mouse pin brouch on my 7th bday and i still remember it now and how happy I was that couldnt of been more than £4.

when i was younger, when i was little i just wanted to open lots of presents!!!!!

so when i do presents for children, i do a few different things and wrap them seperatly!

£10 minimum. If you're not happy giving cash, how about a voucher :D

Tbh I prefer giving pressents which was why i asked him mum what sort of things he is in to. But hey ho she said to give the cash.

Its all turning out to be very expensive. Over the holidays my daughter had 4 birthday parties to go to. She's been back in school 2 days and has another one. Also i know there's 5 boys in ds class who have birthdays in sept and oct. :roll: :roll:

Get a present. I never give anyone money for their birthday/Xmas and you'd be suprised at how cheap you get get lovely gifts.

I only ever spend a maximum of £10 on any one pressie but I normally get a load of litle bits so it looks more :D

Im gonna sound mean but i dont mean it to be!

He is *only* a friend if you know what i mean not a relative...for relatives id give £10 (dont even spend that normally :shhh: ) but i would stick with a £5 for friends of his...

think to a 7 year old £5 is alot espec if everyone is giving money....if 10 people went its still gonna be £50 if everyone does it...think its a fair bit for that age (hell its a fair bit for me to go out shopping with :rotfl: )

i would only give £5 as its only his friends its not a relative or anything
xx

no way would i give more than a £5 yeah im a bit tight but at the end of the day he is a 7 year old child.. i spend more on my friends children who are charlottes best freinds they get £10 children these days are gettign so spoilt.. you have 4 children. i would put a £5 in the card. has he ever given tyler money in his card? and is he an only child.. end of the day you have to live within your means.. the kids go to loads of partys no doubt.. you cant afford to give £10 a time and if you were buying a present surly it wouldnt be more than £5

lisa&alex said:
no way would i give more than a £5 yeah im a bit tight but at the end of the day he is a 7 year old child.. i spend more on my friends children who are charlottes best freinds they get £10 children these days are gettign so spoilt.. you have 4 children. i would put a £5 in the card. has he ever given tyler money in his card? and is he an only child.. end of the day you have to live within your means.. the kids go to loads of partys no doubt.. you cant afford to give £10 a time and if you were buying a present surly it wouldnt be more than £5

yes he's an only child. usually i go to somewhere like woolies and get things as they've got some good deals there. For the girls birthdays over the hols i got bratz pencil case sets. They were a tenner reduced to a fiver and i knew they'd come in handy for school too.

I'm finding it hard now - coz the boy told tyler yesterday he wanted money in his card and his mum has told me it too :? :?

reanna is at school and has had to go to loads of bday parties and most ppl spend or give a fiver. for closer friends we all usually agree on an amount to spend on the kids for bday's n xmas so then no one feels funny if more or less is spent on a certain child.

xxx

lisa&alex said:

I agree. £5 is ample. I remember the days when parties were jelly and ice cream at home, not large restaurant affairs and a colouring book or crayons was sooo appreciated! Shit!! I am showing my age pmsl.

The thing is, when they're at school, you have to fork out for so many birthdays, it becomes really expensive! To be honest, If Moo was given a tenner in her card, I'd feel a bit miffed because I'd feel that I'd have to do the same, God knows how many times a year!

No - chuck a fiver in and be done with it lol :shakehead:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back