What are your thoughts on this?

Mamafy

Reaction score
As I'm sure everyone knows we've been in recession, so with that in mind the school sends round a note saying not to be buying any presents for either the staff or the pupils :D

Great idea I thought, they did say if you had money to spare you should give it to charity :)

Well this one little boy in C's class said to the teacher that his mummy is doing it anyway, that its their last year and she's always done it.

Ok fair enough they have but this is what they purchased last year:

25 kids in his class got a card + £10 inside
11 teachers including classroom assistants got £50 each
The principal got £100
All the teachers got a £25 bottle of perfume as well.

So the Maths of that = £250+£550+£100+£300=£1200

:shock:

My thoughts are WTF? That would feed my family for 2-3 months :shock:

Also I don't like the way other children are made to feel like they're poor because of it :(

So guys what are your thoughts on this?

:shock: I think that's awful that she's doing it anyway! Fair enough if nothing had been said, but having been specifically asked not to?!

If it was really about giving something because she always has then why wouldn't she do something that costs nothing - get her kids to make some cards or cakes or something? Or as they've said, give the money to charity. It's almost like it's just to say 'I know we're in a recession but I'm still rich'. I'm sure that's not the case, but I'm sure some people will see it that way. It's bound to make some of the other parents feel guilty :(

She needs to take into account others feeling, stop flashing the cash and do as she has been asked.

I'm not sure why they've done it, but in these times it really enforces some peoples poverty :(

I mean in my area its a good area but there are hardly any rich people, most are working class on low incomes so why they feel the need to waste that amount of money is beyond me :wall:

I don't see it as being generous, more flash :lol:

I wonder how they'd feel if you returned the gift?

I think that is completly o.t.t... It isnt thoughtful.. It is basically flashing the cash and thats it, personally a box of roses and a card would mean more to me..

Woah that is a mega amount of money :shock:
Mine have never gifted the whole bloomin class, emily buys for her group of close friends, about £2.50 each, I will by a little something for the class teacher at the time around £5 or so and the ETA's in that class.
But this is only in Primary, I never buy for the headteacher except When Emily left school, she doesn't teach and just seems to float about not doing very much interaction with the children :lol:

That's way OTT! It seems more like flashing cash to gain some sort of status than a genuine thoughtfull gesture. I dont think I would be comfortable in accepting the gift. It's even worse that they are still going ahead after being asked not too :wall2:

I felt great when I saw the note then Cara came home and said he was still doing it anyway :wall:

I was all for small gestures but you kinda think you look cheap after that even though its the thought that counts!

I would maybe ask Cara if she wated to donate the money or buy toys for the local hospital or something, get her friends involved aswell and write the parents a polite letter of 'thanks but no thanks' iykwim :lol:

It's crap and very self indulgent. The original purpose of school uniform was so that all kids were the same at school regardless of their background.

If I were one of the mum's or teachers who got a gift from her, I'd spend it on supplies or toys for school and encourage everyone else to do the same and do a charity raffle with perfume as the prizes.

Last edited:
Agree with ChloesMum and MervsMum, it's very crass to throw money around like that and I'd be peeved too!

I agree with everyone else. It doesn't seem like generosity, it just seems like they're showing off how much money they have xx

god i hate people like that!! thats what its like round here! all the parents driving down the road to the school in their ferarris and 4x4s and just trying to outdo each other at everything. harvest festival is no longer taking in 1or2 items, its full on hampers, all decorated the best they can do. birthday parties they're off out in limos at 7 years old. its so so so competitive and just vulgar!

i have to agree, it seems like the parents are simply 'flashing the cash' if i'm honest! i find this stupidly insensitive and have to say, gosh i hate people like that :oops:

That is insensitive isn't it? And it's not like she's put any thought into it either. Just shoving a tenner into a card just shows how she likes to parade her cash. I'd either refuse it or let her know I'd given it to charity. I wouldn't want her money anyway. :shock:

At my work we are not allowed to accept any gratuities, no matter how well meant they are. It keeps it equal and puts to the side any feelings that someone may be favoured because of their gift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back