What is this pain?

Emerald rose

Reaction score
I dont know if its pregnancy related or not but im in so much pain i can hardly walk.
The pain starts in my hips and on my right leg i have sharp shooting pains down the inside of my thigh. I was in tears walking down the stairs this morning and took me over 10mins to get down.

My job involves alot of walking around and im currently sat in a locked room trying not to cry.

Yes, SPD for sure. Classic symptoms, get a referral to physio you will need to get a maternity support belt. In the meantime its imperitive you dont stand or do anything on the one leg. When standing dont have more weight on one leg than the other. Pelvic floor exercisces will help and core exercises. When going up and down stairs take baby steps one at a time to minimise time weight on one foot. Swimming - breastroke is out. When out of car, swing both legs together at same time before putting feet on the ground together and then stand up. Again, getting in car, turn sideways sit on seat knees together and swing both legs into car at same time. Hhhmmmm what else? Ask doctor for pain relief if its that bad. Co dydromol I think they can prescribe in Tri 2, early Tri3. Do you have a pilates ball? If not, get one. Sit on it often, engage your core and pelvic floor muscles. If its really bad, physio may have to do some pushing and pulling on your pelvis to get the alignment back in your pelvis, there is also a couple of exercises they will give you to help. Sorry, longwinded reply but I know all these things will help - I have it, been going to physio regularly since week 6 or pregnancy cos I knew I was getting it early and I already have back problems. Hope this helps - first things first, you need to rest, preferably on your l;eft hand side with a pillow in between your knees and one in between your ankles. Hope it gets better soon and get that appointment - oh and try contacting physio first without doctor referral, that's what I did and got seen within a week!

Last edited:
Thank you to both of you. I've not heard about this before will try to see a doctor asap. Im really struggling to work dont think i can manage much longer.
So other than breaststroke can i still swim? I take my kids every weekend so there may be tantrums if i cant go any more lol.

Last edited:
Of course its just cos breastroke you open your legs and thats the worst thing for pelvis. You can either do crawl or breastroke arms with little kicking legs - you will know cos you will feel the pain but careful cos sometimes I do stuff, think its ok and wake up next day in agony, sometimes even just putting one foot in front of the other is sooo painful. It feels like someone has kicked me really hard in my lady garden!

ive had it! it's the hormone progesterone, midwife told me that too much has been released and has gone over board. it's what relaxes your cartridge for child birth, i couldn't put any pressure on my left leg and found it hard to get comfortable in bed was awful. It felt like my hip was crunching when i walked sometimes! and would send pain down my leg Mention it to your mid wife

Last edited:
:hug: i have spd just now and it is hard to live with so i know how you feel. this is my 3rd time having this so i've got a few things i've learned that can help make this a bit easier

Don't roll over in bed, i find it easier to get on all fours and then lie down the other way

Sit down to get dressed

Go up the stairs one foot at a time (so both feet come onto each step)

Do not lift anything that may strain your back or tummy muscles

Take short walks regularly e.g at work get up from your desk and take a short stroll

and as the other girls said, it can be helped also with crutches, support belts or painkillers and it will go once the baby is born.

Im on my feet 6 hours at work, we dont have desks the only time i sit down is when i can get away for a 15 min tea break when it quiet.

You need to speak to your boss. Perhaps getting a chair for you? Or maybe split your breaks to 3 x 5 mins instead? They must surely be sympathetic to your pregnancy and the SPD. Or would they rather you were signed off sick cos Thats useless standing so long.... Can you do your job on crutches or in a wheelchair? Cos if you Dont get control if it that may happen! Im an employer and id much rather be sympathetic to needs but keep them working than have to pay for someone off sick as well as getting someone else in to cover for them.... Did you get an appointment yet?

Last edited:
My doctor has diagnosed Sympis pubis disfunction and signed me off work. Omg it hurt when he pulled my leg around.
Wheres the best place to get a support belt?

you can ask to be referred to a physiotherapist who can give you one

you can ask to be referred to a physiotherapist who can give you one

He never said about physio he also said theres nothing i can do to relieve the pain. My Doctor isnt very good. Seeing midwife next week who will hopefully be more helpfull.

Can you just call the physio direct? If not call your surgery and ask receptionist that doctor must call you back!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back