• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What have you still got to buy?

X5OT

Reaction score
Our shopping plans have been working out very well. Having decided not to buy anything until I got to 27/28 weeks (and to then have everything in place by 33/34 weeks) we now have everything apart from the following bits:

1. Changing bag - have decided on an Oi Oi one, but need to find the right colour
2. Nursing chair for feeding in the nursery - hubby & I are having 'discussions' re this LOL. I relly like the Dutailier gliders, but hubby doesn't like the look of them and we're not sure where we would put it when no longer needed as doesn't really go with anything else in the house. Suggestions for alternatives welcome please!
3. Black-out blind for the nursery
4. Niple shields :lol:
5. Breast pump - have decided on the Medela Swing, but going to wait until a few weeks into b'feeding to see if I need one
6. Nappy Storage bag - zeddy & parsnip from mamas & papas - still deciding whether I need one of these or not (am thinking prob not, but would look nice hanging in the nursery :D )
7. Baby Monitor - have decided either BT Digital Plus or Tommee Tippee one with sensor mat
8. Nursery thermometer
9. Dimmer switch for main light in nursery
10. Auto fade night light
11. Water thermometer for bath
12. A few more towelling robes / some soft towels
13. Waterproof mattress cover (for our bed)
14. Bouncer, Play mat, Swing chair, toys - will probably wait until after baby is born to get these

Ahh ... that's it!

Furniture arrives next week, hubby painting nursery at the weekend, and pushchair, car seat etc arrive 1st October!

Won't be long now!! :dance:

I need to get a bouncy/vibrating chair but i want to wait and see what we have first as i want a pink or a blue one.

midna said:
I still have to buy everything .. :D
Tell a lie I ordered some reusuable nappys...Im going green!!

Well done you on the re-usable nappies. I had great intentions on using these, but have ended up buying a few packs of Pampers thinking that it will be one less thing to worry about washing and will see how those go. Will be good to hear how you find the re-usable ones when you have a chance to use them :D

ive already got everything but obviously cos im over due but i started made sure i had everything by like 36 weeks.
cos after that i knew i wouldnt be in the mood to go shopping, for stuff.
it gets really tiring after a while.

Just popping in from Tri 2- someone told me that a company called 'hippy chick' do really good matress protectors that are washable and don't feel all crinkly and plasticy- think I will get one of these nearer the time.

Need to buy all the bedding for the baby's room but will see what sex we end up having rather than going neutral - baby will be with us for a while so doesn't have to be ready for it coming.
Haven't got nappies yet or much in the way of bath stuff. Not got many toys or play mat because I think everyone buys you toys when the baby comes! Only got neutral babygros so will be able to buy boyish or girly stuff when we know what it is!
Think that's all..?

I am really pleased with what I have bought so far. I thought I had everything in until I read your list. I still need to get a bath thermometer and nipple shields.

I'll wait until later to get things like a high chair and stair gates, so I guess I am pretty organised apart from getting my hospital bag packed. I'm so pleased with myself. xxx

I've breastfed 2 babies for a few years and have never used nipple shields - what do you need these for? Are they sort of silicone nipple protectors that baby can suck through? Isn't there a danger that baby gets used to using these and then won't suck the bare nipple (i.e. becomes "shield-dependent")? Or is that something else I'm thinking of?

I would just be wary of using nipple shields, but then again, I never used nipple cream either. I think positioning your baby to the breast is the most effective way of pain-free breastfeeding. If your nipples become cracked/sore, then the baby is probably not latching on properly and/or you're not breaking the seal of his/her mouth correctly in order to take the baby off gently.

Wouldn't using shields make breastfeeding a less natural experience for the baby and for you? Surely you'd also have all the hassle of sterilising these things every time too? Not to mention trying to position them when you're trying to give a discreet feed when you're out and about?

I'm sorry if I've got this wrong, or if I've spoken out of turn. I just didn't want anyone to get stuck with using something unnecessarily.

They might be useful when the baby's teeth come in though: my 2 both took great delight in my yelping in pain when they bit me with their sharp new teeth (the little rascals)! :D

Thanks for all the replies so far :D

Wendywandy: I'm only going to buy some nipple shields to have them just in case I suddenly find I need them in the middle of the night due to soreness - they are so cheap that I'd just rather have some in case I need them than run into any 2am problems :D They'll just go in the steriliser - 4 mins to sterlise so no probs there! It's the same with the dummies - I have bought a pack of 2 TT ones, but have no intention of using them unless we run into a crisis one night!

I only have a few small bits and peices to buy now. I have all the big stuff. Im not aloud to buy any cloths till baby is born because we dont know his size. I really dont think Mark understands how tired and hard it will be to go out shopping when he is born. I think he expects me to give birth then the next day run around shops buying baby cloths.

I recovered quick after having leah but not that quick.

kitty86 said:
I only have a few small bits and peices to buy now. I have all the big stuff. Im not aloud to buy any cloths till baby is born because we dont know his size. I really dont think Mark understands how tired and hard it will be to go out shopping when he is born. I think he expects me to give birth then the next day run around shops buying baby cloths.

I recovered quick after having leah but not that quick.

Hiya :D Great to hear you have almost got everything! I have bought very few clothes as we don't know if it will be a boy or a girl, or what size the baby will be. I have bought a pack of 7 vests, and 2 x3pack of full white babygrows from Mothercare. I bought newborn size which is 7.5lbs - 10lbs. Going on averages I will be REALLY unlucky if the baby is more than 10lbs LOL, but it is smaller than 7.5lbs then the clothes will just be a bit baggy :D I have also bought a cream & yellow 'going home' outfit, also newborn size, and a pack of mits and a hat. That's it! I figure that will keep me going for a few days (washing in between) until we either order more stuff online or friends start visiting with gifts :lol:

Maybe you guys could compromise and just buy a few mulit-pack bits from Mothercare?

I also know that Mothercare will exchange stuff if it's too big / small, so u could always have a few bits at home which you could de-label & wash when you know what size the baby is, or return them to Mothercare and exchange them for a different item?

:hug:

X50T,

I think you've got a great attitude to having a baby (have you done all this before?), very relaxed and practical. I would agree that ANYTHING that might possibly make your life easier has to be worth a try :D

I had totally the wrong attitude before I had my first baby: I made life so difficult for myself by making up all of these silly "rules" for myself beforehand (no formula, no dummies, no disposable nappies, no wipes, no shop bought baby food, no TV in the house etc.). All I did was make myself miserable! Babies usually turn out fine despite us parents anyway :D

This time, I'm trying not to rule out anything...even nipple shields :D

CalamityGem said:
Hi X50T,

Are you doing the whole nursery is Zeddy & Parsnip? I've done ours in that range and I have to say, I am over the moon with it. I have the nappy stacker and it really doesn't take up much room at all. And it looks fab! I had to order the Zeddy height chart off eBay though (brand new with tags) as they don't appear to sell them anymore since updating the range.

I don't have access to put pics of my nursery on the computer :(

You sound very organised though! We were going to wait a bit to finish everything but I had a scare at 29+2 weeks and decided to get everything finished that week!

Hi CG!

Yep, whole nursery is going to be zeddy & parsnip - we both loved it as soon as we saw it in Mamas & Papas! Hubby is going to pain the walls at the weekend (decided not to use the Z&P wallpaper), and then put up the Z&P wallpaper border. I have bought an extra roll in case it all goes horribly wrong and we end up with a whole lot stuck together - LOL (if u have put the border up, then all advice appreciated on the easiest way to do it!!). We have also bought the Z&P Moses basket, bedding (cot & basket), wall hooks, etc. Still need to get the rug and canvas pics for the walls. I think I will get the nappy stacker, although hubby doesn't think I will use it for the nappies - I guess I can always find something else to go into it!! I also love the Zeddy PJ holder so will get that as well :D We haven't bought the Z&P curtains as the curtains in the room match really well, and the carpet is already yellow :D

Furniture arrives from M&P next Tues, so I'll get some pics up as soon as the nursery is complete. Glad you are really pleased with yours - I'm looking forward to seeing ours all done :D

WendyWandy said:
X50T,

I think you've got a great attitude to having a baby (have you done all this before?), very relaxed and practical. I would agree that ANYTHING that might possibly make your life easier has to be worth a try :D

I had totally the wrong attitude before I had my first baby: I made life so difficult for myself by making up all of these silly "rules" for myself beforehand (no formula, no dummies, no disposable nappies, no wipes, no shop bought baby food, no TV in the house etc.). All I did was make myself miserable! Babies usually turn out fine despite us parents anyway :D

This time, I'm trying not to rule out anything...even nipple shields :D

Thanks for that - I really appreciate your comments. No, I haven't done any of this before, but I'm a pretty practical-minded person (am a community occupational therapist by profession and spend all my time problem solving & coming up with solutions for people with disabilities, keeping people as independent as possible and at home for as long as possible), so I guess it is in my nature. I'm also very fortunate to have had 4/5 friends who have had their first babies in the past few months, so they have been a great source of information and advice. I used to stress more about stuff, but it has taken us a good few years to even get pregnant, so I guess it has changed my perspective about certain things - I've stopped stressing about the little things which, in the grand scheme of things, are usually pretty unimportant.

Gosh ... that's all a bit deep! Arghhhhh!

Seriously though, cheers for the support :D

Hi CG

Sounds fab!!

I'm not going to buy the duvet & pillow case yet - won't need them for a couple of years, and by then we'll hopefully have number 2, so this baby will be in a different room. We're going back to M&Ps in a couple of weeks to stock up on some other accessories, so I will definitely have a look at the B bear PJ case :D

Also not going to get the Z&P bouncy chair as I want one which has different reclining positions -

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qwertyuiop33
Back