• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What gets you through the bumpy bits breast feeding?

floppit

Reaction score
Although BF'ing started really easily we have had a few bumps along the way. Freya's appetite seemed to disappear in the heat and although she would feed 40 mins per sitting in the evening and morning she still put less weight on and even lost a couple of ounces one week. It was hard because I didn't know how much she was getting and got scared she'd just keep going off it. I also struggled a little at about 1 month when I didn't know I needed to burp her BEFORE she fed as well.

Sometimes practical answers have got me through (like with the burping..) sometimes it's been the reassurance from baby groups - hearing a HV say they see 1000's of babies and Freya is definately thriving really helped the week her weight had gone down! My best friend has been really supportive too and my hubby is really proud of me. All those things help.

Reading here has helped too because I sort of know that BF'ing Mums always have at least one faff.

I thought it might be good to find out what has worked to help folk keep going.

Because im Stubborn dont get me wrong its been a battle at times and still is.

I'm pretty stubborn. And the fact i can't afford to go onto formula. This is the one thing i'm proud of really! I never in a million years thought i'd breastfeed. My OH begged me to give it a go. And he is so unbelievably proud of how well i've done. We have fights quite alot where she'll scream, but i just sit her up and pat her back and then try again. Sometimes i give up and leave her for a bit, then i know she'll take it later.

The first time - sheer bloody mindiness. I had such a nightmare with a very demanding and hungry baby, sore nipples and bits falling off, mastitis,thrush, PND - ewwwwww. No support really but there were a couple of members on here who gave me sound advice and really encouraged me. I alsoloved the sense of satisfaction of seeing my baby thrive on my milk.

The second time - the knowledge that when the early days are out of the way, it is the easiest and best thing ever.

midna said:
What else kept me going in the early days was my sheer stubborness :D

Ditto with the stubborness.

And Midna kept me going :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

yup, pig-headedness was my main thing.

and knowing that its something i want to do so badly and it won't be forever - and when it does end i'll be gutted. which makes me determined to enjoy it while it lasts, even when connor's being a pain! :lol:

Like the other girls i also am quite a stubborn person (taurean) and when i had had it in my mind to breastfeed my child i didnt want to give up with out a fight.
Until i gave birth and started breastfeeding i never knew how hard it could be with the pain, soreness, engorgment, fussy baby and especially worrying whether LO was getting enough milk.
I was spurred on also by seeing how much weight my LO was gaining and knowing that was all down to me :)
And the forum helped also when i had questions. And the encouragement that things get easier as time goes on, which at the time you cant imagine it but does :)

got to agree with beanie- bloody mindedness on my part too! i refused to give up, simple as that :lol:

I have to say stubborn-ness too! Add that to a great OH who did fed me during the days where I jsut felt like I didn't leave the setee (he says he fed me so I could feed baby) and my mum who helped when I had blocked ducts etc!

We all seem pretty stuborn! I definately think that has something to do with it. I feel really lucky though to have supportive people around too - especially when I was worrying she'd carry on losing weight (which she SO didn't!).

I liked it when my HV said she was passionate about breast feeding and that I could call her any time I was even a little bit worried. The only things that ever worried me was munchkin eating less or losing weight so it helps having a proffesional who's 100% behind keeping going.

She wouldnt take a bottle for a long time so I had too!!! :D

I think also as my brain was shot to bits when Emms was newborn, sterilising and bottles and timings was all too much to think about! Emms just wanted to be stuck to a boob first off so by the time that wore off a bit, we were well establised on breasticle milk.

loz said:
She wouldnt take a bottle for a long time so I had too!!! :D

quote]

Oh yeah and that too. Calleigh doesnt do bottles so it wouldnt have been an easy task to change over. Couldnt put my little girl through that.

With Tia... It was the fact that bfing helps you loose weight.. and the second time was because I missed it so much... When the time comes and you stop bfng you will miss it so much... :cry:

There was never a question in my mind i knew when i found out i was pregnant i'd give breast feeding a go. After reading loads on here i prepared myself for it too be hell for the first couple of months and it has been hard ( still got sore nips now) but never once have i thought about giving up. I haven't really had any support from my family or friends if i moan they just say why don't you put him on the bottle :roll: TBH i think it is alot down to my stubborness but also i don't think i'd have got this far without this forum. Reading other peoples experiences plus being able to post any worries and being reasured by you lots has been invaluble :oops: Also there is the fact that Cooper has never lost any weight and is on the 50th centile so i know that what i'm doing is working. Plus i do love it even with the pain seeing his little face and knowing that i've got something that calms him down straight away... ok thing i could go on all day :oops: :lol:

When the time comes and you stop bfng you will miss it so much... :cry:

I know - I think I'm addicted to it, maybe it's the happy hormones it gives off? More likely how damn cute little munchkin is sucking!

Like Keli, I never considered anything other than brestfeeding. Even before LO I was pregnant I couldn't understand why people wouldn't want to at least give it a good try, I mean it's so beneficial to LO and you so to not even try seems ludicrous to me.

I'm not overly stubborn in everyday life but I have been with the BF and bottle feeding wasn't an option even when I dreaded each feed because it felt like a million pins being stuck in my nipples. It gets so much easier by the day as well once you get past the intial pain/ struggle.

I'm very happy with my choice- it's something only me a LO can share, the closeness is amazing and knowing it's due to me that he is growing and thriving makes me proud.

Alex xxx

ASD123456 said:
Even before LO I was pregnant I couldn't understand why people wouldn't want to at least give it a good try, I mean it's so beneficial to LO and you so to not even try seems ludicrous to me.

I have to agree with that.... To try and not succeed is one thing, but to not try at all well its almost the same as saying you don't want to inoculate your child...just the first few days of colostrum alone is like gold dust in terms of health benefits and antibodies.

I've had a few times when I've thought about giving up but what's kept me going is how much of a pain in the arse I found bottlefeeding with Nathan, having to make up the milk, sterilise bottles etc, especially at night.

Also when Kieran get's weighed and he's put on weight keeps me going aswell because I know he's doing well from my milk :)

The help I have got off here has been great aswell :D

For me bf:ing has always been a natural thing to do. I have never considered anything else, so formula wasn't even an option here :D

The only fear I have had is if for some reason I couldn't suddenly do it (fell ill or something)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back