What Does Your Babys' Name Mean?

zebrastripes

Reaction score
Following on from the bad-name thread- what does your baby's name mean, where does it come from, and why did you choose it? Do you think it suits your baby?

I love names, was always disappointed mine wasn't a bit more unusual :D

Willow's is as follows

Willow- Stately, graceful. Anglo saxon in origin. We chose it because it sounds lovely, it's a nice tree, and it won't "fade in the washing".
Imogen- "an image"or "in the image of her mother" apparently. Funny, because for some reason i thought it was a derivative of Elizabeth :think: but apparently not.My OH chose this because he thought it ws a pretty, feminine name. It is English in origin.
Katya- "pure" I chose this as a nod to our Ukrainian heritage :D

Stanley is an old English name derived from stoney/lea or stoney field.

We didn't choose ot for meaning or though I'd like to name any more children we may have in a similar vein, ie English or country related names, like Hazel, Rowan, Williow ( :wink: ) etc.

Mine name's Zoe, which is Greek for life, and was chosen specifically as I was premature and in an incubator for a long time, pretty poorly. I'm just grateful I never became Chantal, which was the back-up :lol:

Kaira is a scandanavian name and apparently means Peaceful :shock: someone please tell my daughter this :lol: :lol:

Lucy is Latin for Light but we had already decided we liked it before we found out what it means
Sara (pronounced like Zara with a S) we chose this as its my Mum and Granny's names and I really wanted to name my daughter after them as they are both so strong and I love them so much. Its a derivative of Sarah and means Princess in Hebrew.

Evie Grace Priestman:

Evie: Hebrew for "life".
Grace: Grace if of Latin origin, and its meaning is "favor; blessing".

I didn't choose it for meaning or anything but it's lovely to look this up because I truly think that her life is a blessing :D

xx

Grace

The name Grace is a baby girl name. The name Grace comes from the English origin. In English The meaning of the name Grace is: From the word 'grace', derived from the Latin 'gratia', meaning God's favor. Famous bearer: American actress Grace Kelly became Princess Grace of Monaco.

Joe

The name Joseph is a baby boy name. The name Joseph comes from the Hebrew origin. In Hebrew The meaning of the name Joseph is: May Jehovah add/give increase. St Joseph of Arimathea undertook the burial of Jesus (in Holy Grail lore). In the bible Joseph was sold by his brothers into slavery and later rose to become a supreme power in Egypt. Also Jesus' legal father..

Rome

The meaning of the name Rome is From Rome, Italy

Jaida

Couldn't find Jaida.
:(

Joseph = The name Joseph comes from the Hebrew origin. In Hebrew The meaning of the name Joseph is: May Jehovah add/give increase.

Dillon = The name Dillon comes from the Welsh origin. In Welsh The meaning of the name Dillon is: Born near the sea.

Lucy = The name Lucy comes from the Italian origin. In Italian The meaning of the name Lucy is: Variant of Lucia: Graceful light. Illumination.

Aparently theres a few different meanings to Dillon!? French, Gaelic, Irish and Welsh!! LOL It does come from Welsh origin though! Its a variant of Dylan so I went with that one!
This was the website i used
http://www.babyhold.com/list/Search/1/dillon/

Finally found Jaida!

Jaida

The name Jaida is a baby girl name. The name Jaida comes from the English origin. In English The meaning of the name Jaida is: The gemstone jade; the color green.

These are names I like for my girl:

Lola = The name Lola comes from the Spanish origin. In Spanish The meaning of the name Lola is: Diminutive of Dolores: Sorrow. From Maria de los Dolores (the Virgin Mary, or Mary of the Sorrows. :think: Not liking that much

Evie = The name Evie comes from the Hebrew origin. In Hebrew The meaning of the name Evie is: Diminutive of Eve: Life, living, lively.

Eva = The name Eva comes from the Hebrew origin. In Hebrew The meaning of the name Eva is: Life. Living one.

Ava = The name Ava comes from the English origin. In English The meaning of the name Ava is: a variation on the medieval names Avis and Aveline. sooo........
Aveline (hmm thats pretty actually) = The name Aveline comes from the French origin. In French The meaning of the name Aveline is: Nut

Amelie = The name Amelie comes from the French origin. In French The meaning of the name Amelie is: Hard working. Industrious. Striving.

Going off what names mean, I like Amelie best!

Cara: From the Italian meaning "beloved" or "dear" and used as a term of endearment. Could also be from the Irish meaning "friend". We chose it because it was nice and short so she wouldn't need a shortened version of her name. Also because it's pretty and a fairly unusual name but not wacky lol.

Alexandra: A feminine version of Alexander, from the Greek name Alexandros composed of alexein "to defend" or "to protect" and aner "man, warrior". We picked this because it's the female version of OH's name. OH wanted her to have either my first name or middle name (Grace) but I hate my first name and didn't think Grace went well with Cara.

Willow- Stately, graceful. Anglo saxon in origin also a tree
Summer - the season (thats all i could find it to mean)

we didnt choose willows name for meanings though we just liked the names.

Serena: Serene, peaceful
Kaia: Earth, mother earth

Yer...lil miss suits her name :)

Galen is a name I've loved forever. When we were considering names we had a very short list. Galen and Gabriel were pretty much it for boys names. OH came to really liking Galen after initial uncertainty and he was adamant after he was born he was a Galen not a Gabriel :)

It is of Greek origin, and its meaning is "healer; tranquil". The name of a second-century Greek physician whose research provided a basis for accepted medical practices for 1500 years.

Galen also appears in following Origin(s): Celtic, Greek, Gaelic

And the famous Galen in history can be read up on here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galen

The middle name Rohan is OH's family name, from the French part of the family the De Rohans. Its OH's middle name also :)

Does it suit him? We think so. Most people seem to like it and comment on it being unusual. Not sure if this means they actually don't like it. We've only had one outright comment about it not being a good name choice and the suggestion to not use it. I pretty much told that person where to stick it, politely mind you :lol:

Its a name he'll grow in to over the years. Certainly its a good adult name we think.

Evie (again!) is Hebrew for 'Life' and her middle name is Mae which is obviously a dimunitive of May (her due month) She appeared in April but we liked the irony! :rotfl:

Kieron Gaelic Means Little dark one
Rory Gaelic Means Red king

Hannah Hebrew Means Grace; favour
Priea cant find a meaning but know its indian

all names were picked beacuse we fell in love with them and couldnt see them being called anything else

Daniel

The boy's name Daniel \d(a)-niel\ is pronounced DAN-yel. It is of Hebrew origin, and its meaning is "God is my judge". Biblical: the prophet and writer of the book of Daniel was a teenager when he was taken to Babylon after the destruction of Jerusalem in 607 BC. He survived a politically motivated death sentence in a lions' den. Many prominent men have had the name since, among them statesman Daniel Webster and frontiersman Daniel Boone. Danilo is a Spanish form; Dantrell is a contemporary blended variant. Novelist Daniel Defoe; entertainers Danny Thomas, Danny Kaye; Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan; actors Daniel Day-Lewis, Danny DeVito, Danny Aiello, Daniel Radcliffe.

Kai

The boy's and girl's name Kai \kai\ is pronounced kye. It is of Welsh, Scandinavian and Greek origin, and its meaning is "keeper of the keys; earth". Variant of Kay. Also possibly (South African) "beautiful". Kai is also a Hawaiian name meaning "the sea".

:D

Calleigh Jae

Calleigh - The Most Beautiful - Greek

Jae - Jaybird - English origin, feminine version of Jay

We came across the name Calleigh a couple of years ago and both thought it was a lovely name for a girl so it has always been planned that if we ever had a little girl we would call her Calleigh. We found out the meaning afterwards but it fits my little girl perfectly :)
We chose the name Jae as we thought it sounded nice and fitted well with her first name :) Found it in a name book

Angel is Messenger Of God
* The origin of the name Angel is Greek
We chose Angel as it's a name i've always liked, but at the time i found out i was pregnant i daren't suggest it at 1st. My OH's friend had an accident. His entire family was involved. He has 8 children, 7 with his current partner. The four youngest died! There was Willow aged 2, Angel aged 4, Thor aged 6 and Keavy aged 8.
My OH was badly affected and coz i found out i was pregnant they same night the last 2 died it was a very touchy subject. Yet we decided it was a nice tribute. The family loved it!

Ellen is Light
* The origin of the name Ellen is Greek
We also chose Ellen as a tribute. OH's aunt died just a few weeks before she was born.

So basically named after 2 dead people. It's a lovely name though.
But i'm choosing the next name. Lol

Finlay means fair haired I think.
Kylie means Aborigines Boomerang!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111