What can we do?

MrsR

Reaction score
I really need some advice please. DD struggles with her maths. She can't seem to grasp them at all and I'm terrified she's going to fall behind and be picked on for it. I struggled with maths for years and years, no one would listen to me when I tried to speak to them about how badly I struggled and I felt pushed aside. I don't want her to feel like that! I want to help but can't afford private tuition and I don't know where to start!

Also she loves reading and I thought she was doing really well with it but this morning a girl in her class was asking what colour books from school DD got. She then proceeded to taunt DD with the fact that she is 3 colours above her. I just wanted to punch this little brat.

I'm now sat at home on the verge of tears thinking about how it must make her feel.

Please someone help me.

Oh you poor lovely. I am not sure how old your daughter is...with the reading books I truly would not worry too much. My DD was a very proficient reader but a particular girl in class was always 2 or 3 or 4 levels above her and I could not understand why. Turns out it just depended who heard them read (teacher or helper), when they read and how much. I used to write in her reading log - we are bored of this level please can we move up and that would get it going. You will probs find she is reading much harder books at home than at school but they seem to get very anal about following the levels.

With the maths have you tried the BBC websites, they can be really helpful for little games and stuff. I also used to buy the I can count and add up etc book which I got from Wilkinsons, they had stars in the back and the kids did not seem to mind doing these. Also managed to get a times tables tape which they listened to on their walkmans (blimey remember those!). All that said I have not raised a pair of geniuses - DS got a GCSE grade C in maths and to be honest I dont know how he managed that. DD does hers next year.
Try having a chat with the teacher about progress, they may be able to recommend some books? However this kid that is taunting your daughter...this is what worries me more than anything. She sounds like a bully in the making and I would certainly be raising this with the teacher!
Reassure your DD that she is fine and concentrate on her strengths, if she is good at colouring try to get her drawing and colouring and incorporate maths into that.
I wish you luck and love xxx

Last edited:
Thank you so much. DD is 6 and a half and we've had problems with the girl before (she's a chunky kid and decided to tell my very slim daughter that she was fat!!!!!) so she can be a bit of a bully, I think that's what got me the most today.

OH came home and we had a quiet chat whilst she was otherwise occupied (otherwise she takes things to heart) and he reassured me that I'm not a terrible parent and suggested the same activity books you suggested though we didn't know where to get them from. She's very into stickers so think it might be quite successful.

She has a book of bible stories at home that she reads every night so she's definately reading harder books at home than at school.

I can't thank you enough! I will def be arranging a meeting with her teacher about her progress and this girl.

Hope she gets the help she needs I would ask the teacher to put her reading colours up if you know she can do it or they may be holding her back without knowing it and a sticker chart is a great idea. Also you could go through her maths book and see what she is doing and see if you can help one on one I bet she will really appreciate that and you can boost her confidence telling her how well she is doing all the time when she gets it right xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back