What are peoples opinions on taking baby Aspirin?

gesic

Reaction score
Hi,
After 2 years of no known pregnancies I fell pregnant last month for the 1st time age 43! Unfortunately it wasn't to be :( , however 4 weeks to the day I got suspicious, took a test and it was positive! Mixed emotions, desperately trying not to invest too much emotions on to this one but really want to do all I can to prevent a repeat. I am reading about low dose Aspirin as a possible preventative and although I know you would advise speaking to doctors 1st I am keen to find out if any harm would come if I just started taking the until I got an appointment?
I have taken Aspirin as a painkiller previously without issues and I do have asthma. TIA for any information

Congratulations!!!

I am too an older mum at 38, I am currently 31 weeks pregnant after suffering a number of miscarriages. My consultant at the Early pregnancy clinic started me on 75mg of aspirin daily, it needs to be a low dose, not what you take for pain.

I know there is mixed reports on this, taken to soon can affect implantation.
I was started a 6w 5 d and remain on it to 36 weeks. I don't know if it helped, but made me fell more proactive in doing somwthing.

Congratulations! I would certainly ask your gp about it. I've just had my second mc and my gp did mention this might be something worth trying next time, depending on what our mc testing shows.

My midwife told me to take it next time I'm pregnant too.

Thanks for replies, I did get an appointment an doc was not really happy I should take it, as no proof I had a problem and could be harmful.
I was a bit of a mess when I got to see her as incidentally got a text of my other half that afternoon regarding his sperm analysis (we had decided to get checked after last miscarriage) he told me his doctor told him that among other things the quality or possibly the morphology was 3% or less? So if I do conceive (and have?) there is a massive risk of having a severely deformed/disabled child....if I don't miscarry! I have not seen the results so am only going off his explanation. My doc has done her best to reassure me but I am even more stressed than I was before, and this am have woken without the usual early pregnancy feelings so I am gearing myself up for another mc. Typically I had kept is all to myself until last night when I told a work colleague (due to the nature of my job I thought I had better) and now I think its all coming to an end and work will be aware. This is just so hard, and my head is so confused I am hating this and wish it wasn't so complicated :(

Last edited:
Hiya, 3% morphology does sound a little low but you are incorrect in thinking this will mean a disabled child. It just means it is harder for the 'normal' sperm to make it to your egg as there are less of them and the others may impede their progress. There is a chance a 'bad' sperm will reach your egg but if this happens it would be highly unlikely to implant so would just pass out with your period without you ever knowing it had happened.

There are ways he can improve his sa, my husband was told to wear loose pants, not sit with his laptop on his knee, no smoking, cut back on alcohol and to take specific male fertility vitamins. To be honest I have no experience if any of it works as my husbands sa came back ok but I've heard that some men have really improved their samples through simple lifestyle changes. Are you under the care of a fertility clinic? They should be able to advise you better.

Stay positive for your current pregnancy, try and enjoy it as much as you can (I know it is difficult!). You still only have the same chance of mc as everyone else so don't beat yourself up over it. Hugs!

Thanks, am feeling pretty hopeless now, if yesterday wasn't bad enough, thought I would retest and now negative :( How things change. I don't know how some of you do this, its just so hard :(

It's hard but you just have to keep on thinking to future beyond the rubbish that's going on now and try to keep your head above water whilst you do. I imagine myself swimming g towards a little island and that hope. Sometimes a wave pushes me back sometimes a wave pushes me forward sometimes I get tired and feel like I'm not going to make it but then I find some driftwood to give me my energy back. One day I will make it to that island it just may take some time!
The results you have just had may have given you a little jellyfish sting but keep swimming that islands not too far away.

Last edited:
P.s. it's 4:30 am so I may not be making much sense lol!

Last edited:
Thanks, am feeling pretty hopeless now, if yesterday wasn't bad enough, thought I would retest and now negative :( How things change. I don't know how some of you do this, its just so hard :(

Was it a different sensitivity of test? What time of day did you test and do you have any idea when you ovulated at all? If you are very early on and tested later on in the day the level of hcg might not be high enough to show. Best thing to do is test again in the morning. Hope it is good news for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back