What age should I remove baby monitor?

Discussion in 'Baby & Toddler' started by mummywanabe, Aug 22, 2016.

1. mummywanabe

mummywanabe Well-Known Member

My son will be 3 1/2 when baby arrives I'm trying to decide if I should buy another monitor or remove it altogether. We've had to put a baby gate on his door as we can't fix one to the stairs as one night he got up to come into us and almost fell down the stairs.
    So we can't decide do we take it away or get another one for baby, the only reason I've not taken it away now is that he's been admitted to hospital a few times with breathing difficulties I'm just worried if I take it away I'll not hear him or I'll get over paranoid or end up waking him by sneaking in to his room to check on him at night any advice

2. MrsT2011

MrsT2011 Well-Known Member

I think it depends on what you feel comfortable with. We stopped about 18 months but we had moved house so could now hear my son if he got up.

3. Babygiz

Babygiz Well-Known Member

I still have our monitor for our 3 year old and I bought another one off eBay for our new baby due in 3 weeks. We have a stair gate on the top of the stairs but if he was sick or anything during the night we wouldnt hear him from our bedroom.

4. Kiagirl

Kiagirl Well-Known Member

My LO is 3 and we still have a video monitor. I just think why stop using it, I can check instantly if she makes a sound and when she had been ill during the night I have heard it. We also send it to mums when she stays there, my poor dad used to sleep with one eye open in case she made a noise lol X

5. CARNAT22

CARNAT22 Well-Known Member

I have to confess to never using a monitor with either child and we didn't have baby gates after James was 2 (put them up for Beatrice when she was weeny but don't even use them much now)

I feel so bad. I do Co sleep with Bee though and James was in with us until we moved on his 2nd birthday.

Our new place has a lot of stairs so we've kind of let the kids become au fait with them quite young as they need to get used to them? we have like 30 internal stairs.

X

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

6. Pumpkin9

Pumpkin9 Well-Known Member

We bought a second monitor for our daughter as we were still using one with my son when she was born. He's 2 and a half now and had been in a toddler bed for about 3 months and can come to the door and shout for us so we no longer use the monitor now. His bedroom is actually on the floor above our bedroom too