what age did you stop sterilizing bottles and boiling water

haych86

Reaction score
My friends daughter is 8 months old and she told me today that she stopped sterilizing bottles at 6 months old and stopped boiling water at 7 months old, she said the only time she sterilizes now is if the milk has been sitting in the bottle for a few hours before being washed and just use tap water for formula

so what do/did you ladies do?

I'll stop sterilising bottles when he's a year old and on cow's milk. I only do bottles, I don't sterilise cups, bowls, spoons etc. I'll use boiled water to make his bottles too until he goes onto cow's milk. Apparently it's safer for babies to keep sterilising as there's something in the formula which is harmful.

I'm the same as Chaz - I sterilise until a year but only bottles no spoons or anything now. I still use boiled water for cool drinks but now little man is over 6 months I'm not so bothered so I do it at home and always make up drinks to go out but if i'm stuck out with no drink for him i'd use normal water now x x x

yeah I kind of of thought I wanted to do it til he was a year old, but after my friend mentioned that I thought I would get other ladies opinions but seems more are in favour of until 1 year , which is what I had planned so think I may stick to that

I wil continue until Tegan is 1 But i do give tap water for her to drink now x

I wil continue until Tegan is 1 But i do give tap water for her to drink now x

Do you give tap water to mix formula? I do give tap water to drink we also have a fridge water dispenser which I give him water from in hot weather because he loves it fridge cold but I thought to mix powder maybe it wont kill bacteria?

I BF, but give cooled boiled water for beakers , unless desperate and have not got any cooled boiled water ready., then use tap water. I do sterilze feeding stuff, purley because of being really busy with the kids, and Devon being a really hard work baby unless I carry him all dnay long in the baby carry!! so I hardley ever get the chance to wash up any bowls etc till the end of the day and Devon is bed, so I worry that them sitting on the side or in soak will be too long, and so I do it for peace of mind really. We have a microwave sterilizer and so it's dead quick at 6 mins a go.

Last edited:
I still sterlize and will until Shaun is about 1 year old (maybe a month or so before, but no less than that) and defo boiled water for Shaun because we live in a really hard water area, and we're not even keep on tap water tbh, prefer bottled water, alot cleaner than Surrey Water (there was a story in the paper not long ago about a man who attempted to piss in the clean water that was about to go to everyones taps!!! Gross!!! Put me off tap water COMPLETELY, the fact that it's obviously easy to get near the water, if a drunk bloke easily managed to get close enough to pee in it!)

I've stopped sterilising LO bottles in the proper steraliser but I always wash them with boiling water, she's only on one a day now.

Iusually put a cup of boiling water in the fridge at the start of the day so its nice a cold for her when she wants a drink, she loves it, especially with her teeth coming through at the moment. On the odd occasion I do forget though, so I give her tap water and she's been fine with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back