• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What age did you start weaning?

chickadee1976

Reaction score
As the title, did your baby show the signs, did you start early for a reason, or did you hold back.

Last edited:
Started at 4 and a half months- was advised to start early because of Evie's reflux.

Started weaning at 6 months.

Maia showed a number of signs such as being able to sit unaided, good head and neck control and movements, steady weight gain, showing some interest in our food when we were eating (she was sat in her highchair with us though while we ate lunch and breakfast but never tea), she also had a few instances where she woke during the night around 5 months but I put that down to a growth spurt and her sleeping pattern soon returned to normal after a few nights, she could easily pick things up and put them into her mouth too.

Despite the above she was always satisfied with her milk so I saw no reason to change that. if she had of started to become disinterested in her milk then I probably would have started her on foods earlier.

Angel was 18 weeks! It wasn't a decision taken lightly. I really wanted to wait til 6 months. But she was staring at our food, taking it off our plate, eating it whilst making "mmm" noises. Was certainly the right choice for us!
I never did it coz of sleeping. She has always been a terrible sleeper so it helping would have been an advantage, but it didn't so that's ok.
And i think starting at her age has helped with her love of food! She has barely turned anything down! The only thing she doesn't like are those Organix crisps!

I started Chloe at 4 months as she hated her milk. I had so many people thinking that I must be doing something wrong and she would take a bottle from them, I handed her over with a bottle and she was the same, she puts her lips together and throws herself backwards. Stubbon little miss will not take anything she doesn't want. It was the right decision for us, I would rather have a happy child then stick to the rules.

Last night! :D J has reflux so we were also told by a health visitor that we should wean at four months, but that isn't something I agree with personally (for us- I don't judge others' decisions), so I waited. He has been grabbing our food and drooling all over it for a while now- maybe a month and a half, but I wanted to wait for six months. However, the point of BLW is you don't set a strict date, so last night we steamed baby corn, sugar snap peas and sliced up a Hass avocado and let him sit in front of it. He loved the peapods! We are going to give him another chance at lunch today.

Last edited:
I started yesterday (4mnths) as she has been waking in the night ravenous for a week now. Here's hoping it all goes well :pray:

4 months for us too :) but he's a big boy and definately needed it and he had reflux

We started giving DS a tiny amount at 18 weeks because he had really bad reflux and the hungry baby milk just wasn't enough.

4.5 mths, so glad we did....he loved it & still does! he was ready! :D

4 months, we have a very hungry baby! Milk alone was just not satifying her so spoke to the HV who advised us to start weaning her and its the best thing we could have done for her! Shes so much more settled and satisfied :)

we started at 18 weeks ish as luisa lost weight :)

she is now 7 months and im now doing blw along side her spoon fed meals :)

a little over 4 months, more towards 5, but im glad we did, Rosie took to it so well.

Just starting BLW now! So 6 months really.

Freya has been sitting up for a while, grabbing food, has been joining us at the table for about a month.

:)

I did try with my daughter at about 4/5 months but she wasn't really interested so I went back to it just after 6 months :)

tried at 5 months with Katie but she wasn't interested but by 6 months she was ready :D

We started at 4 months, but really slowly - like one portion of baby rice a day in addition to her milk for a couple weeks and then slowly increased and varied it. We did soley due to weight issue. She was dropping weight on formula alone and even if I tried to get her to drink more she wouldn't. We were already on hungry baby milk as we'd moved onto that at 3 months when she started showing these signs. The hungry baby milk def helped us reach the 4 month mark.

We montiored her weight every two weeks and she followed her centile curve perfectly. We followed all guidelines with respect to gluten/whole milk etc, so only introduced those after 6 months. Basically she stayed on fruit/veg/gluten free cereals between 4 and 6 months. Which worked out fine as it took us that long to work through her first tastes.

Im pleased we weaned when we did, she's a happy healthy baby thanks to it. She's now 7 months and eating finger food (rice cakes, cheese pieces, pieces of fruit etc) and chewing wonderfully... very little gagging! Hurrah!

All babies are different and it's good to see that Mums are weaning them when the babies are ready! xxx

You're right MummyCat :) The guidelines for weaning are just that, guidelines :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back