Well thats it, they didnt make it:(

yep i have already found the pics on fin rot it looks like it for sure, ill look up the white spot, do you reacon they will have the treatment in a small pet shop or will i have to go to pets at home??

It looks like its going fuzzy if you know what i mean, sort of mouldy :?

you shoukd be able to get treament easy enough, both conditions are stress related and common, fin rot is easier to treat so lets hope its that one :wink:

Yeah lets hope so, i didnt even know fish couldget stressed if im honest, the people at the shop should have been more through the first time we got fish as it was the first time in years we have had them and never had a filter before, never used water treatments, didnt even know you were only supposed to take 25% of water out when cleaning them, they never told me anything, they should ask first if you have ever used any of that stuff. :roll:

both are ill now and itseems to have spread to their bodies, they are all red :(

my sister's fish had fin rot and white spot, the fish had hardly and fins left and looked like he was growing cotton wool from his body and she got the treatment, his fins all grew back his colour came out and he's still alive now! :cheer:

I had my tropical fish tank set up from pets at home, but my fish I had else where, I have heard bad things from loads of people about fish from there and every time I go I see loads of dead ones in the tanks.

Id go to a pet shop that sells fish and ask for the treatments and how to use them, although the boxes will tell you.

thanks girls, well my dad didnt have time to take me for the medicine, im hoping gal will be nice and take me before he goes to footie, slim chance though, what a crappy day :(

did you manage to get your medication mel??

hen - i have that tank as well.... although mine has lovely algae growing! finding it a struggle keeping it clean when preggers! is yours tropical fish?

Yes the other half went out and got some while i was sleeping, i think he realised how upset it has made me and im so grateful. Hopefully they will start recoving soon, any ideas how long it could take??

what medication did you get?

when one of mine was ill (had tail rot and was very sad sitting on the bottom of the tank) I had him in a separate tank for about a couple of weeks I think.... Iwas using melafix....

Well i have left them in together because over the course of the day the other has deteriorated rapidly and looks like it has exactly the smae thing, not sure of the name of the stuff, ill have a look and tell you tomorrow but it says its for fin rot and fungal infections, they seem a bit more lively, the one that was on the bottom of the tank is near the top now and moving a bit more, hope thats a good sign. I wil;l admit i had a little cry over it earlier, im really upset and feel like this is all my fault but surly they would have had this before we got them as we have only had them a week and it came on really fast :think:

Mel&Bean said:
Well i have left them in together because over the course of the day the other has deteriorated rapidly and looks like it has exactly the smae thing, not sure of the name of the stuff, ill have a look and tell you tomorrow but it says its for fin rot and fungal infections, they seem a bit more lively, the one that was on the bottom of the tank is near the top now and moving a bit more, hope thats a good sign. I wil;l admit i had a little cry over it earlier, im really upset and feel like this is all my fault but surly they would have had this before we got them as we have only had them a week and it came on really fast :think:

Mel, don't want to make you feel worse but to me it sounds like an internal infection if its got red on it and depending on the stage its at, it may be untreatable by now. Are they still eating??

Argh I hate pets at home for fish. There is always a dead fish in at least one of the tanks and they are old looking! Thats how fish get these diseases and then they sell them to you :wall:

Ps. Nothing wrong with having a lil cry over fish. I think its sweet as ppl dont seem to care about fish as if they dont feel pain and arent important! Don't blame yourself though, it could have been many things and even peope who have kept fish for many years will still have losses.

Hoping thats a good sign.its maily ner the bottom of the fins the red stuff, on another note though dont know whether its good or bad but the mould like stuff is now falling off :pray: Not really eating alot i just put 2 bigish flakes in and it has only eaten one when it sunk to the bottom the other one was untouched, i fished it out, ill try giving it another flake later and watch it for a while to see if it eats it like i did this time, ill keep this updaterd today :pray:

they will have picked the disease up from the store. fin rot is a bacterial disease. once it has reached the fishes body (as in apart from the fins) then it is too late. first do a 50% water change as this should take some of the bacteria out of the water. check you have no decaying food or plants in there. you need to quarentine the effected fish because it will spread quite qucikly. go to any fish shop (as in "live fish" not "and chips") and look for any medications containing Methylene Blue, Maracyn or Myxazin. these are the best ones. do not change the water during treatment but do a 50% water change after treatment. it would be an idea to do a water test before you start to check levels or ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. if you cantdo this your self take a sample into a fish shop and for a small fee or sometimes for free they will test it for you. if any of your levels are high they will advise you on what to do next. for the first week after treatment water change the tank every other day.

as for the white spot (which is also sometimes know as ich) it is not fungal but parasitic so the stuff you've got already wont help this. white spot is a tricky one to treat. from personal experience medication can sometimes make it worse. basically the white spot sometimes also invades the gills of the fish making it difficult for the fish to breathe, some medications actually reduce the amount of oxygen in the water (if you combine these two factors you end up with a dead fish.) i find the most effect methods are to raise the temperature of your tank to 30 degrees centigrade or 86 degrees farenheit. this will stop the white spot from reproducing, (your fish will be fine in this temperature as long as it isshort term, ie. no more than 10 days), you then need to add sodium chloride (NaCl) to the water to kill the white spot. add around 1 tablespoon to the tank (although if you know what size your tank is PM me to let me know and i can be more accurate). after the spots go away carrying on using the salt for 3 more days. it is also helpful to do gravel vacumming as well as it gets rid of any left of parasites. if this does not work look for medication containing copper sulphate.

i used to work in an aquarium and did my placement as an aquarist. i also had to study aquatics at college so i know a fair bit :p

hope this works. let me know how you get on xx

Thanks alot suzie thats really helpful, like i say the stuff that looks like mould is peeling off, i will go and get some different stuff like you have suggested though. as for the salt will ordinary salt do or is there a special kind you can buy, im thinking its all the same really, my tank is 17l aswell :hug:

You can buy aquarium salt.... at most pet shops..... i'm unsure about using normal table salt.. but suzie sounds like she would know more about that! :D

hope the little guy recovers :hug:

Do you have a Dobbies near you? If you do and they have an aquarium bit I have always found them really helpful at the one I go to and know what they are talking about....also they tested the water for free...saves you buying a kit :)

go to your local proper nerdy fish shop, best bet for advice etc, and the people there genuinly care about their fish. Ours has just closed...thanks to the sodding edinburgh crappy trams shite scheme.

Fluffy, Dave, Colin, Morris, Cheech and Chong (our fish)send their regards and condoliences

Im gutted :cry: Why the hell does this keep happening, im gonna hold off buying any more, i dont think its fair on the fish or Hope tbh.
How shall i clean the tank, to get rid of the infections, im getti9ng rid of the gravel anyway, im gonna get some boiling water in the tank and get a new filter sponge and sterilise all the equipment, not that i plan on getting any more anytime soonbut might as well get it all cleaned, is there and stuff i can get to treat the tank with??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back