we need help !!!

lucylu87

Reaction score
before zak was 6 months i was giving him purees with the intention to start blw at 6 months which i did. he wasnt interested in purees very much but now iv started blw he doesnt seem interested either. he will play with his food but rarely eats anything. hes only had 10oz milk so far today and i know it isnt enough, offered him toast and weetabix for breakfast which got rejected and just offered him carrots and pepper strips for lunch, again were played with and left. offered melon for pudding and same thing happened. im worried about him not getting what he needs. hes starting waking in the night for a feed too which is someting he never did. help is needed girls. i just dont no what to do ! x

So on average how much milk is he taking per day, aside from today?

hes probably taking about 23-24 oz max including night feed. but before weaning he was having 30- 34 easily with no night feed so quite a drop! x

Not sure what to suggest for the milk situation, but with the food I wouldn't worry too much. Oscar is very take it or leave too.

I bought the BLW cookbook and in there it says that some babies just aren't interested in food until they're about 8 months and that they don't actually need the food until 9 months (not sure if I've got that right tbh but they defo don't 'need' it now).

It says don't push them because it could give them permanent issues so if Oscar flat out doesn't want the spoon I just take it away, even if he's only had 1 or 2 mouthfuls.

I'm taking him to the HVs on Thursday because there is so much information on weaning it's hard to know what is actually right or wrong so hopefully might have some helpful info on Thursday.

xxxx

hey hun...from what i can gather..although im not blw, its all about them playing with the food, getting used to it, not neccesserily about eating it all. the blw mums with be able to explain better im sure. marley has a mix of tw and ive just really started him properly on finger foods about 2 months ago. before a few weeks ago he wouldnt properly eat his finger foods, for example, toast - he would just suck the life out of it squish and drop it.

as for his milk, once weaning is started they will naturally lose interest. my lo has 2 bottles a day now, 6oz in the morning, 9oz at night and weetabix or other cereal mixed with 4oz. my hv said this was totally fine. before this he was taking about 28 or 32oz in 24hours, now just 15. i would just go with the flow and try not to worry. hope the other ladies can help more.

o and also... you've only just started with blw, ive heard of some cases where the babie sonly get interested and actually start properly eating after a good few months, you just have to stick with it!

Last edited:
thanks for ur replies. he is a little under the weather so that mite explain things more recently but b4 that he still wasnt really eating anything. il just keep trying i guess. hes had 24oz milk today, no food. nothing like him really! poor baba ! x

As long as he's generally taking around 20oz a day in milk feeds i wouldnt worry too much about how much food he's having as the milk is more than enough to keep him going.

He'll come around in his own time,dont fret :)

yeah I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of milk hun. Once weaning has been "established" HV's look for around 20oz per day as an average intake. xx

hi, thought i would update this thread. i was right to be worried, my Lo had LOST weight when i went to get him weighed on monday, now 17lb 7 , was 17lb 9 ! not a lot but in 3 weeks he should have gained. i have got to go back in 2 weeks to see how hes going on. hv give me lots of advice about weaning basically she thinks hes not hungry cos he gets offered milk first and then wont eat bt the milk isnt enough to sustain him anymore so gotta swap it round so since monday hes being having food at each meal time then a feed and a big bottle at night. has been having weetabix for breakfast then about 5oz milk, a snack mid morn like fruit or a finger of toast or crumpet, lunch has been toast and cheese or tuna or hard boiled egg and a yoghurt for pud,then about 6oz milk, snack again in afternoon ( opp of what he has in morning if u get me ) and then for tea hes been having what we r having so like tonight he had pasta in a tomato sauce and had a fruit pot for pudding then 5 oz milk then he will be having some more milk just now b4 he goes to bed. sorry for the long post !!! but just wanted to say how we r doing. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back