Next Step - Weaning

First Baby White

Reaction score
Well Harry has been eating purees for around 6 weeks now and is on 3 meals a day. He is on Hipp organic jars stage 1 coz he wont eat purees we make for him, he has breakfast cereal, for lunch half a jar of savoury and half a jar of sweet with fruit juice in a beaker and the same for tea. He is now 24 weeks so classed as 6 months so how to we move onto lumps etc, should I buy stage 2 jars or give him what we have. I have tried him on bits of food like rusks which is fine, he had a bit of tomato soup and my muffin :oops: He seemed fine but I really have no idea what to do next.

What can he eat ferom 6 months, can he have like weetabix and cows milk now, please help as I am clueless. xx

Angel's had weetabix with normal milk from 6 months. I don't put anything on it and she loves it!!!

I don't give Angel jars as they make her sick but i give her more mashed food rather than pureed.
You can try him with things like bits of toast. Angel's had pasta, i even cooked her and OH tuna lasagne. Went down a treat. She has our pork or beef casserole too.
I have an Annabel Karmel cook book and i love it! There are some recipes online http://www.annabelkarmel.com/recipes Give you a vague idea of what you can give for his age.

Just watch the Rusk thing, we gave Logan some to chew, whihc he loved until someone on here noted they are mainly wheat flour and shouldn't be given at such an early age (have now complained to Boots and i'm a crusade to get their labelling chnaged).

I understood cow's milk shouldn't be given until 12 months (???).

We are about the same age and just starting to mash rather than puree things, but at this stage i make all of his (cheaper and more control over his food), but we are Annabel followers as well.

Sandi

Cows milk shouldn't be given as a drink til 12months, but it's ok in foods.
Angel's been on yogurts since 18 weeks, and had milk in foods and on weetabix since 6 months. That's all she has, one yogurt and one weetabix a day.

I'm not so keen on rusk as some have a fair bit of sugar in. She has one every now and again. Generally a few nibbles then it's thrown on the floor.

Just so you know, I had a look at the ingredients online and the savoury jars all seem to be at least 2% sugar, the breakfast jars and the sweet jars are around 10% sugar and of course the juice will be sweet too. From what I understand, babies can become used to the sweetness and refuse to take more savoury food :( This may be why he won't take your purees. Rusks are extremely high in sugar and there is sugar in your tomato soup and muffin. If you persevere he will get to know and like flavours without sugar. Advice is to offer foods that have been refused again a different day. Often something that is refused may be gobbles up on its third or forth appearance at the dinner table :)

26 weeks is classed as 6 months (half of the 52 weeks in a year so it ignores the fact that months are different lengths). From 26 weeks you can use a small amount of cows milk in cooking, it shouldn't be given as a drink until after 12 months. Things with glutten in, such as weetabix, should be fine. My nephew loves it with banana mushed in too! He can pretty much have anything now that you were allowed to eat while you were pregnant. So no soft yolks, brie, salami etc. but most other things. He should have no salt until he is 1 and as little refined sugar as possible (as opposed to sugar from fruit which is fine) .

As Lisa said, there are a lot of recipes online so if you don't feel you got enough support from your Health Visitor in regards to weaning do look for weaning websites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back