Water?

roxanne

Reaction score
Well meaning relatives keep telling me i should be feeding my 3 week old baby water (boiled and cooled down of course!) so he wont get dehydrated or constipated as he is bottle fed.. But when i asked the midwife she said not to, yet all the baby books say it's a good idea... HELP ME I'M CONFUSED!!!!

Also, is it just me or does everyone get fed up with people 'offering' their advice all the time (in other words being patronising and bossy!?) :wall:

Oh, everyone loves to have an opinion on how you should be bringing up baby hun, it happens to all of us!! I spent the first few months of Libby's life like this > :roll:

So, here's my opinion: I think if he is pooing okay and not struggling to go, or doesn't have hard stools then no, don't give him water. Its not hot weather, and he'll get everything he needs from the formula.

You do what you think is right for your bubba hun :hug:

My 3 were all bottle fed and never had any water. They just wouldn't drink it no matter when I offered it. The only time I have really tried to push it on them is when they are constipated but they hate it.

I offer JT water but only if i think he might have a bit of bad tummy. You know your own baby, do what you thinks right.

And well meaning relatives aka nosey patronizing buggers offer their advice/orders just smile and say oooh thank you I might try that later :roll: :lol:

Arianna had water from day 2 of her life as she was born in mid July and it was far too hot for her not to as she would have been dehydrated....

I was told by the hospital docs to do it

My brother bottle fed and said that he only gave her water if she had been constipated or had trapped wind. Do what you think is best xx

i had same problem with christopher hun everyone kept saying he should be having water but he wouldnt have it and when i voiced my concerns to the hv she told me not to worry only offer water if hes constipated otherwise its more important for them to have milk any water they drink fills there belly so they then drink less milk xxxxxxxxx

Emmylou said:
Oh, everyone loves to have an opinion on how you should be bringing up baby hun, it happens to all of us!! I spent the first few months of Libby's life like this > :roll:

So, here's my opinion: I think if he is pooing okay and not struggling to go, or doesn't have hard stools then no, don't give him water. Its not hot weather, and he'll get everything he needs from the formula.

You do what you think is right for your bubba hun :hug:

couldn't have put it better myself!! i only offered luke water in really hot weather and he rarely took any, only from when i started weaning did he really take to it, at this stage he will be getting all he needs from his formula.

and yes it is annoying when people give you their "advice" hear what you want to and ignore what you don't want to hear. trust your instincts x

Ah, I am so fed up with people saying I should be doing things this way or that! My MIL kept insisting that I should be giving water to my LO as she is bottle fed too. It made me feel like I was doing the wrong thing, so I ended up giving a little once a day. Then when my LO had her 6 week check, I asked both the HV and doctor about giving water, and they both said that it isn't necessary unless she is constipated or got a bad stomach. The doctor said that giving water to a baby under 6 months could upset the sodium balance in the blood. My MIL came with me that day to the clinic - so as soon as I came out of the consultation room, the first thing I said to her was that the doctor said no to water. :clap:

Hi

Do as you feel is right hun , i never gave any of my kids water until they were a year old but was always told to give it to them
Katrina

OopsyDaisy said:
Ah, I am so fed up with people saying I should be doing things this way or that! My MIL kept insisting that I should be giving water to my LO as she is bottle fed too. It made me feel like I was doing the wrong thing, so I ended up giving a little once a day. Then when my LO had her 6 week check, I asked both the HV and doctor about giving water, and they both said that it isn't necessary unless she is constipated or got a bad stomach. The doctor said that giving water to a baby under 6 months could upset the sodium balance in the blood. My MIL came with me that day to the clinic - so as soon as I came out of the consultation room, the first thing I said to her was that the doctor said no to water. :clap:

Hahahaha!

It seems a strange co-incidence to me that my boyfriend's nan had her babies wear hats indoors (so would be way too hot i would imagine?!) and they were all dehydrated enough to need water between EVERY feed?!.. Hmmmmm!!!!

roxanne said:
OopsyDaisy said:

Hahahaha!

It seems a strange co-incidence to me that my boyfriend's nan had her babies wear hats indoors (so would be way too hot i would imagine?!) and they were all dehydrated enough to need water between EVERY feed?!.. Hmmmmm!!!!

Yeah, don't you find the elders always say that the LOs aren't wearing enough or have enough blankets!?!

Yep! her exact words were "Its feeezing in here! Haven't you got a bonnet or a helmet for him to wear?!"... Helmet?! :? Also bare in mind i have one of those thermometer things that tell you when its the right temp and it was slightly too warm already nevermind putting a hat on him!

I used to feel sorry for when my OH told me that noone ever lets her babysit, now i know why. I'm dreading the day she asks if she can look after Dylan, i know she'll take no notice of how we want to bring him up :roll:

Sorry about that rant, cant say this to my OH though so have to let off steam on here!

roxanne said:
Yep! her exact words were "Its feeezing in here! Haven't you got a bonnet or a helmet for him to wear?!"... Helmet?! :? Also bare in mind i have one of those thermometer things that tell you when its the right temp and it was slightly too warm already nevermind putting a hat on him!

I used to feel sorry for when my OH told me that noone ever lets her babysit, now i know why. I'm dreading the day she asks if she can look after Dylan, i know she'll take no notice of how we want to bring him up :roll:

Sorry about that rant, cant say this to my OH though so have to let off steam on here!

It's good to have a rant to get it out of your system. When I complain about the MIL to OH, he just tells me to ignore her, and he won't say anything to her! Like you, I'm also worried to leave my LO with her, as some of the stuff she's told me how she brought up OH gets me so worried!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back