Breastfeeding and giving water?

Sarah13

Reaction score
Do any breastfeeders out there ever give your babies cooled boiled water or just feed on demand? I'm feeding on demand just now but I often wonder if he just needs a drink as sometimes he has a really small feed of about 5 mins in-between longer feeds, which is ok most of the time but not if I'm doing something and hubby has him. Might just be comfort feeding tho as he won't take a dummy.

I never gave water when i was bf, just when i switched to formula. Im prettysure bf babies get all they need from your milk!

I think you are right about them just being thirsty. Tom gets a little bit grumpy when he wakes up even if he's been fed half an hour before. So i just give him a little bit of milk and he shuts up - although I give him a dummy now, god send. Did you try the Cherry teat dummy? I can't remember if you'd mentioned it on a post before?

I gave him a bit of cooled boiled water the other day because he didnt seem to be getting anything out of boob. I know "they" say that you never go empty, but I beg to differ. He was having a right tantrum and it helped calm him. I would only do in an emergency though.

If baby feeds for 5 mins or less this is classed a drink. My Lo used to do this. I only introduced water from 6 months, by 8 months they can have as much water as they need and so he started having a cup and now he drinks sometimes 3 cups of water a day because he is only having 3 BFs a day now, full feeds so he is not getting his fluids from me anymore.

At your LOs age he will be getting everything he needs from you atm xxx

Guess he's getting what he needs just now, I do sometimes feel my boobs are empty though. I've not tried one of those cherry teat dummies could be worth a try too.

My boobs never feel full anymore, haven't since my LO was newborn and then it didn't happen very often. They are always squidgy lol But before being weaned he always gained weight and they were always surprised he was BF only because he had such good weight gain! Never doubt your body hun, you might feel empty, even a pump might get nothing out, but baby always will. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back