Water Birth after C-Section.........???

KJLorraine

Reaction score
...........my midwife says I can't have one! :x

I had my c-section 6 years ago and have had a birth normal in between.
She said I will need to monitored in case the scar ruptures but surely as I have had a normal birth in between I should be fine right?

I mean I know I probably won't get to have a water birth anyway due to various reasons, complications or the pool is in use but I think I should have the right to choose.

I am going to take it up with my consultant when I see him in October.

Anyone else with a similar problem?

surely a scar can't rupture after 6 years?

youve given birth since, plus im sure uve had lots of baths so surely it can only be the same?

could it not even be better? because your skin would be dry with not being in water... more chance of it tearing then??? :think:

I know I can't work it out either. Apparently they have special dopplers to use in the water so I can be monitored.

I just hope she got it wrong!

I wanted a home birth but they said no because I have had a c-section so a water birth is the next best thing :wall:

I had a water birth with my first and they used a special under the water. Also I thought that any mother could choose a VBAC if she so wished.

rubbish.. u can have a waterbirth.. wriote a letter to head of midwifery at ur hospital.. and say you are determined to have a home birth.. and thought it was hospital policy to allow anywoman to birth at home if she so choses.. you feel that your choice as a human being si being infringed apon.. send that off see what they say if they come bk n say ur to much of a risk. then say the only way u will compramise is if you will be entitled to a water birth..xx

Yes I might try that if I get no where with the consultant.

This will deffinately be my last baby and I want the chance to have the birth I want not what fits into the midwife schedual, if you see what I mean!!!

im trying for a home birth.. so i can completly relate to what ur saying..

I would love to have a home birth or even a water birth but there is no such thing in Spain, as on call midwives dont exist here so its impossible and when I asked about a birthing pool my midwife looked at me like I'd grown an extra head. We have one midwife for our entire town.... Whats even worse they don't even offer epidurals unless its an emergancy.... I don't know what I am going to do.

If you want a water birth then you push for that water birth. If you are in a hospital they can monitor you anyways. If you have already had a trial by scar and had no problems I can't see that you should have any other problems.

Do what lisa says...write a letter to the hospital demanding a water birth, . It's your right. Good luck.

http://www.homebirth.org.uk/vbacur.htm

i thought u might like to look at this hun. i thought that i had seen on a home birth diary someone having a private midwife and home VBAC and the midwife sayign there was less than 1% chance of rupture!! come the hell on.. theres more chance u will get struck by lightning aint there? good luck.. fight ur corner..and say if theres any chance the mw or u feel any of the signs of rupture r there then u will come into hospital or out of the pooll stand ur ground!

Thanks for your advice ladies!

I will deffinatley not take this lying down. I really can't see the problem. I will be in hospital anyway so if anything goes wrong I'm in the best place!

Can't wait to see the consultant and see what he says!

I have been looking at the link that you posted lisa&alex and it has been very helpful, thank you!

It says the risk is low that my uterus will rupture but as I have already had one VBAC the risk is even lower!!!!!!

It does say however that I would need to be monitored incase the baby's heart rate suddenly dropped which would be an indication of a rupture so the sooner this is spotted the better which I fully understand but I will still take it up with my consultant.

It's a long way off yet to seeing him (8 weeks) but I figure if I load myself with info he will know I am making an informed decision and hopefully I will get the birth I want! :dance:

well done u.. print some stuff off.. show him you know what ur talking about.. and if you see ur midwife before you see him/her talk to her about it!!

well done u research all you can..and get the birth experience you want.. im determined to get mine.. even tho ive been told to watch my weight.. im craving a crispy bacon sarny lol....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back