Vitex- Agnus Cactus

waterlilie

Reaction score
Hi girls :wave:

I was wondering if anyone has used Agnus Cactus before? I'm tempted to get some this month for my pre-period spotting and to fix my progesterone level which i think is low (i have an irresistible tendency to diagnose myself with all sorts of illnesses :lol: ). I tried to make an appointment with my GP but she's fully booked until mid january! I read fantastic things about Vitex but i am not sure if it's safe to take without medical prescription? I've also started drinking Rapsberry tea which is great for balancing female hormones and toning the uterus and i'm wondering if i can take both at the same time without harming myself? :?

waterlilie said:
Hi girls :wave:

I was wondering if anyone has used Agnus Cactus before? I'm tempted to get some this month for my pre-period spotting and to fix my progesterone level which i think is low (i have an irresistible tendency to diagnose myself with all sorts of illnesses :lol: ). I tried to make an appointment with my GP but she's fully booked until mid january! I read fantastic things about Vitex but i am not sure if it's safe to take without medical prescription? I've also started drinking Rapsberry tea which is great for balancing female hormones and toning the uterus and i'm wondering if i can take both at the same time without harming myself? :?

Hi darlin. :) I'm using the agnus castus at the moment and it seems to be helping regulate my temps, though it is a long-term solution to a long-term problem. I'm afraid I don't know about the raspberry tea - I'll leave that answer to someone more knowledgable than myself. :) :hug:

I took Vitex along with dong quai which compliment each other very well.

http://www.seeknatural.co.uk/product-1443.html

though dong shouldnt be taken during af due to it being a natural blood thinner.

I used this due to my cycle being everywhere after miscarriage and I never seemed ovulate or if I did my cm was awful!

So I drank grapefruit juice too.

I got pregnant that cycle I used these, I ovd early and everything happened as it should :D

Thank you both! it's reassuring to know it helped regulate your cycles. Tasha that's fantastic congratulations! :D

I've been looking for articles on this all day and i've just come accross this! it's exactly what i wanted to read :cheer:

How Does Vitex Promote Cycle Balance?

Vitex or chasteberry is not a hormone; however, vitex works by acting on the hypothalamus and pituitary gland, which in turn secrete hormones or send signals to other parts of the body to trigger the production of reproductive hormones. Vitex has been shown to help increase the level of luteinizing hormone (or LH) while gently suppressing the secretion of FSH (follicle stimulating hormone). In effect, vitex stimulates the hormones involved in ovulation and assists in restoring overall hormonal balance. More specifically, vitex is effective in regulating pituitary gland function and in normalizing the balance of progesterone to estrogen levels. Vitex is particularly supportive in maintaining progesterone levels during the "luteal phase", or second half, of a woman's cycle.

I'm off to buy some tonight from Holland and Barret and will start taking it tomorrow.
Tasha, did you take it through your lutheal phase as well or did you stop as soon as you ovulated?

I stopped once I ovulated (well the day after) theres conflicting advice about wether you should continue taking it but I didnt.

Thanks Tasha! I decided not to try it before speaking to the doctor first. I read that it could mess things up quite badly if you have a regular cycle which i do. My periods are quite regular it's just the spotting that i'm concerned about but it could be nothing to worry about. We'll see how this cycle goes and if i don't get pregnant i'll go to the doctor and tell her about my worries.

Thanks girls :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back