Very fast let down, white sore nipples & hard boobs ... HELP

Naterjack

Reaction score
The past couple of days have been a bit up and down really and i could do with some advice ....?
Before having Josh i wasnt too bothered about BF and said i would give it a go and just see how it went

I started BF in hospital when he was born, in fact once i was out of theatre i managed to feed him before getting some rest.
I struggled for a couple of days with his latching on and I did supplement at night for a couple of days - but when my milk came in on day 3 (in the middle of the night i must add and i soaked my mums spare bed :oops: ) it started getting better

Mum helped me with my latching on and since then, Josh has been feeding great and i love the BF - i wouldnt want to do it any other way.However the past couple of days have been really hard -

Firstly, my let down seems to be a bit OTT - Josh bless his heart starts off great then manages for about 5-10 minutes after my let down before he has to pull away for a breath and milk pours from his mouth. He is usually only on the breat for about 20 minutes. I try and put him back on when he's recovered from my boob drowning him but sometimes he has just had enough.

Then 2 days ago, at the same time as this fast let down seemed to start, my nipples started getting really sore and white at the ends after feeding, with a burning sensation starting a minute or so after feeding, its absolute agony. So i figure i have a latching problem again, but he seems like he's doing it all the same and the pain is only after he's finished. Do you think he's clamping down on my nipples differently to try and slow the flow of milk ? Seems to make sense but not sure how i can change this ?

Finally, over the past couple of days my boobs have become rock solid and lumpy, and really sore until i feed, sometimes so painful that i cant put my arms down by my sides :? This goes once he's fed and is much more comfy but overnight was awful, so much so that i expressed to make myself more comfy, but if i feed him the expressed stuff then surely it will make this problem even worse ?

So .....
Any idea why my milk would all of a sudden let down very fast?
Is there any way of slowing this down and do you think my nipple problem is associated to this?
Should i express to help my discomfort or will this make it worse?

Any advice you could give me would be great please .... :pray:

Not sure about the nipple problem. I'd speak to your HV about that, just to be sure nothing is wrong, like thrush.

Sounds like you have a bit too much milk in there at the mo. You sound very full and a bit engorged. This should settle down once your supply is established. Your body is just adjusting to your baby's needs. That may explain the fast let down too. I think most of us have been there. The times when you've not paid attention and not noticed baby has come off the boob, and his face is covered in milk! Lol.

By 6 weeks it should all settle down and you should continue pain-free. I'm another of these where breastfeeding wasn't something i planned on, i didn't even want to do it! But i did and am still going 9 months later!

But any concerns speak to your HV. She is there to help with anything.

I also have a strong let down which causes baby to gag and get colicky type pains. I was advised by breastfeeding counsellor to hand express a tiny amount before feeding. Have you got a BF counsellor who you can ask if it might be worth trying this? They could maybe also check your nipples to make sure you haven't got thrush. Hope this helps.

:D Ooo sounds like you've got loads of milk :)

The fast let down, you will need to express off some milk before feeding. Just give yourself a couple of minutes and squeeze it into a tissue by hand if you are in a rush. It will get rid of some of that fore milk and give your LO the better hind milk too.

After a few weeks your boobs will get used to how much your LO is taking. The full engorged stage is because your body is saying...quick we just gave birth we don't know how many babies lets just keep making milk. But it gets better... In fact you will probably start to think that you aren't producing enough because one day you wake up and your boobs don't hurt anymore :)

The white hot burning sensation on the nipples sounds like thrush. Its very very common in bfing mothers and babies. You will need to go to your GP and get yourself and your baby treated. Does he have like a white milky covering on his tongue (could be confused with milk?).

And I would suggest getting to some bfing cafe or La leche legue group just for moral support if anything :hug: :hug: :hug:

When expressing I used to get white nipples (blanched, rather than with a white coating) if I'd not been paying attention and had continued expressing for a while after the milk had finished. Could it be that he's got all the milk out and rather than pulling off in frustration he keeps sucking away?

thanks girls
My nipples dont stay white and its as if they have been sucked so hard the colour drains from them (is that what blanching is??) - and no whiteness or funny smells in LO's mouth so hopefully its not thrush - i shall speak to HV about this on Tuesday when she comes round though.

Thanks for the tips, i've definatey got too much milk at the moment and he's choking on it, as its coming out so fast. And after 5-10 minutes he seems full and milk drunk. It does seem to satisfy him though so not too much to worry about i suppose?
However, I just tried feeing him whilst i was lying down and he fed for a full 25 minutes and didnt seem choked so i wonder if its the gravity that makes things worse :think: - we have a local breastfeeding support group on hand here so i think i'll give them a call on Monday

Isnt it funny how you can change your thoughts on something though !?!
I was adamant that i probably wouldn't BF once i was out of hospital, but now i couldnt imagine anything else and i really savour the time he is close to me for feeding - i must say its really helped my bonding after the c-section :)

Yes, that's what i was describing.

Before reading this, please remember that I did not breast feed, I expressed for 8 months but she didn't feed from me.
I wonder if there is something in the latch that means he is getting all the mik from some ducts and not others. So when you are lying down he is getting everything. I certainly think that the whiteness in your nipples sounds like he is sucking and getting nothing.

Definately give the breastfeeding support a call :hug:

Just wanted to say you are not alone - I have a very fast let down too and Finlay ends up pulling away, either choking or fighting for breath bless him. They also advised me to express some off but I haven't done it yet as I'm hoping it settles down on its own. My boobs are also rock hard and lumpy but seem to be better after a feed.

So, dont really have any advice - just wanted to say its not just you! xx

thanks guys
I tried the stopping and letting some flow onto a muslin before re-latching and it seems to have worked and LO seems to be feeding more effectively and not so much pain for me :cheer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back