Sore Cracked Nipples and Breast Sheilds

kkibble

Reaction score
I have been feeding my newborn for five days now and it is beginning to take its toll on my breasts. Dispite all of the professionals I have seen, who have said my baby is latching on really well I am as sore as hell. I am not sure if my cup size makes a difference (38GG).

My nipples are red raw around the base and I have just started to use breast sheilds. My baby has taken well to these but it is still making my nipples sore and I thought it would give them a chance to heal?.

Also I dont know if I can continue to use the nipple cream with the sheilds?.

Any advice would be welcome as I am on the verge of giving up, even though he is putting on weight I am not enjoying the feeding process and dread the thought of feeding him. I already feel as failure as a mother.

Please help.

aww hun :hug: i felt exactly the same with both of mine and i nearly gave up. But believe me it does get better. I used lansinoh cream and nipple shields but for me the shields didnt really do much. All i can say i keep at it, you're obviously doing a good job if baby is gaining weight. This won't last for much longer and then you can get back to enjoying feeding your baby pain free. Feel free to PM me anytime. good luck xx :hug:

Hey hon,

It WILL get better, I promise, you just have to ride it out. I used Lanisoh cream and took paracetemol and arnica (both safe to take if breastfeeding) which really helped. I have F or G cup boobs and I got through it. Mine started getting better at about 10 days. If you are really keen to breastfeed, please don't give up, I absolutely promise it will get better and won't hurt at all.

Love

Valentine Xxx

Lansinoh was a great help to me! It's expensive, but it works! Also, you don't have to wash this off before breastfeeding.

also, make sure you've got the right sized nipple shield. If it's too small, it will make your nipples more sore.....

:hug: :hug:

Thanks you all for your words of encouragement. We did have a better night last night and although still very sore my breasts are calming down. I think due to the fact that my milk supply has now settled down has helped.

Thank you once again, it really helps to know others have had the same difficulty and breast feeding is not all the bed of roses people paint the picture of.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania89
Back