UTI? Help.....

choklatemunky

Reaction score
Has anyone had one and had to have antibiotics? If so what did you have to take?

:roll: Well, Ive got one and got a prescription, but I only picked the prescription up from the surgery after the receptionist phoned and told me to, so I didnt actually see the Dr about it.

Apparently the Dr just wrote out the prescription after receiving a report on my urine sample I did for the m/w last week. I was just about to go and get the prescription from the chemist and thought Id double check as to what type of antibiotic it was online and whether it was safe to use......and things about it range as usual, but it says its safe in 2nd and 3rd Tri, and also only to use in pregnany if absolutely necessary and that there is no proof that it does harm anything but also seemingly no proof that it doesnt.... :cry: It says that if you are prescribed it your Dr should have gone through the risks and benefits of taking it with you.

I dont want to take anything that has any kind of risks attached to it obviously, but I also cant not take something and just leave my UTI to get worse (its pretty symptomless at the mo which is why I didnt know I had one).

I dont know what to do!!!! :(
Obvioulsy the Dr knows Im PG etc and I guess wouldnt have prescribed it if they didnt think it was ok but I just feel a bit in the dark about it all.

:hug: I am sorry you have a uti hun.

i have known lots of women to get it and they have taken anitbiotics and have been fine.

If you are really concerned or unsure, please give you midwfie a ring and express your concerns,I am sure she will reasure you.

:hug:

which antibiotic?

cefalexin or amoxicillin are fine and safer for baby than a urine infection is.

trimethoprim is a no-no.

i think you should make an appointment with your gp or see if you can talk to them over the phone, maybe suggest handing another sample in to see if the infection is still there after a week it might have already gone especially if you have no symptoms.

choklatemunky said:
Its "cefaclor".....I guess thats like cefalexin?? :?

yep - that's commonly used in pregnancy without problems. xxx

hun dont know much about antibiotocs but didnt want to read and run
sorry you have a uti :hug: xxxxxxxxx

Well, I went to the chemist and got it and when I was there I asked the Pharmacist about it and he checked in his book and said it was safe for me to take. I read the leaflet in it though and it said to discuss it with your Doctor before taking it if you are PG or breastfeeding, so I rang the Drs and asked for them to call me. The Dr who wrote out the prescription called me back pretty much straight away and said that she had double checked before she wrote out the prescription and it was said to be ok in pregnancy. They are all saying the same thing so I guess it should be alright.....they are the experts after all.....the risks of leaving it untreated dont sound good so Im just gonna have to trust them I guess.

i received a letter today (2 weeks after MW appt) telling me i had a UTI. So went straight to docs to get it sorted and took me first antibiotic today, i think it's the same one you were given. Also had another MW appt today, only to be told that the urine sample today is clear. Soooo annoying cos now that i've started one, i have to continue a min. course. I drink so much i must have cleared it out my system (had no symptoms so today's letter was like, what? really?) :wall: :wall:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back