Using a family members name

Victoriap

Reaction score
It has been guessed by Sonographer that I'm having a girl (however baby is difficult and didn't give a good display)

Up till finding this out mostly just boy names came to mind, but now thinking also about girls theres one name I love and thats my sisters 'Sarah'

I wouldn't use this as the first as I know she would hate it (shes a quiet person) but I would love to use it as a middle name

Has anyone else done this with friend or family?
Sometimes it feels like the name I need to choose should be completely separate from anyone else.

Lots of people do it :)

My uncle was named the same as my nannas brother so similar to what you're talking about although that was first names.

I think if you're thinking a middle name then there really is no reason yo not use a family members name at all. Her middle name won't be used that often anyway.

I'm thinking of using my grandma's name Iris as a middle name if we have a girl. Also if it's a boy we are thinking of using Rory which was my sisters 'boy name' which obviously she never used but she's being quite territorial about it. I wouldn't mind so much but it's our only boy name at the moment as we have a lot of cousins who have taken all the other names we like!

I don't think there's a problem using a family members name as a middle name. In fact DH thought you had to as its always been the way things were done in his family!

It's traditional for a middle name to be a family members name. We're steering more away from that now but I think that's a lovely thing to do for your sister.

In my SO family they give names starting with a specific letter of the alphabet! Only to the first son they have. I don't mind so much since my fav name happens to start with the same letter :p

Thanks all, I feel better about doing it I just hope she takes it well.

Shes just such a shy person and doesn't like any attention on her, but I think my Mum and Dad will love it which is good.

I think its lovely that you will be giving your little girl, your sisters middle name. If anything it will show your sister how important she is to you and your little girl. x

We only have one name picked out that is nothing to do with family our second girls name Lily Elizabeth the Elizabeth is after my step mum and our boys name Frank owien well Frank is my step grandads name but Frank owen is my partners middle names so we follow the tradition of naming after dad as he is a junior he's names after his dad but he agrees with me that neither of us like his first name for our kids. We changed owen to owien because I'm Welsh and I love Welsh boys names but I live in England and can't really use the ones I love because they will get teased majorly for it because they are proper Welsh names

I think it's a lovely idea. I wanted to name my Dd after a family member buy my mum got huffed that I wasn't naming her after her so I didn't go with the name I liked. Even now nearly 4 years later sometimes I look at her and think she'd have suited that name and I should have gone for it

Both of our children carry a family member as a middle name & we’ll be doing it again with our third too! I think it’s tradition for us now :)

Both of our children carry a family member as a middle name & we’ll be doing it again with our third too! I think it’s tradition for us now :)

Bless that's great, I would like to do it for both kids I hope to have.

However I do worry I would leave someone out, I do like my sisters name but I don't like my partners sisters name.
Hope no one feels bad about it!

Bless that's great, I would like to do it for both kids I hope to have.

However I do worry I would leave someone out, I do like my sisters name but I don't like my partners sisters name.
Hope no one feels bad about it!

Try not to worry about, that unless you plan on having 10 kids & can use every family member you have lol. And if anyone does get annoyed by it they are very shallow people.

Ours are names of grandparents that unfortunately passed whilst I was pregnant so it’s not like it could have upset anyone due to the reasons :)

We have used family names with all our kids, either as first or middle names. I absolutely love it and there’s never been an issue. Sometimes momentary surprise, but that passes fast. We plan to have a family name for this baby too.

My daughters middle name is mine and my mom's middle names. If this is another girl she will have the same middle name. If a boy he will have my dad's middle name

My little girl's middle name is going to be Maria, mine is Marie and my mums is Mary - I just thought it made sense to carry on with a slight variation of the name to be honest.

Especially as mine is Marie because that's what my Nanna wanted my mums middle name to be, but everyone kept asking if she meant Mary so she gave in and just stuck with it.

My granny (in her eighties) is called Ella, I've always loved it and I think it's a pretty name, so I called my three year old Ella. She's not named after her as such, they just share a name.

I'm expecting my third, a boy, haven't fully decided on a first name but his middle name will be William, as it's my Dad's middle name and was my paternal grandad's name (passed away a few years ago).

Last edited:
We only have one name picked out that is nothing to do with family our second girls name Lily Elizabeth the Elizabeth is after my step mum and our boys name Frank owien well Frank is my step grandads name but Frank owen is my partners middle names so we follow the tradition of naming after dad as he is a junior he's names after his dad but he agrees with me that neither of us like his first name for our kids. We changed owen to owien because I'm Welsh and I love Welsh boys names but I live in England and can't really use the ones I love because they will get teased majorly for it because they are proper Welsh names

I thought welsh Owen was Owain?

The original spelling is Owain. Owen is a diminutive of that name and therefore is itself a welsh name

Yes, Vintage wrote Owien however, so I was wondering where that had come from ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back