Update in me and Thea and weaning

Melanie

Reaction score
Valentine reminded me i hadnt updated about how our weaning was going. Im so grateful for the support and kind words you all gave me when i was about to have a melt down and thank you so much for helping me see that weaning from the breast at Thea's age was not something i should feel ashamed of at all.

Weaning has turned out to be no big deal!I was so worried that i was going to damage our relationship but thats really not the case at all. I just stopped reminding Thea or asking her if she wanted it and she just stopped asking for it during the day and then cut her before bed feed. The only feed she had left was the one first thing on a morning and she stopped asking for that on her 18 month birthday so she weaned at 18 months exactly. That was a week ago and she has never asked for it again.

No crying, no tantrums! I really thought it would be hard work but it seems without me pushing her to have it she was ready to stop on her own. Im wondering if she would have just stopped on her own soon anyway as i havent ever said no she cant have it she just didnt ask again!

I miss the closeness but not those awful feelings of dread i was having! We make up for it by having a cuddle and reading a story a few times a day, now Thea asks for story instead of boob lol. We pick one off her shelf and read it through then go back and Thea points at all the pictures and tells me what they are.

So thank you again girls for helping me to be comfortable with weaning Thea. I realise now that when she was first born i honestly could imagine being able to make it 18 months and its something to be proud of rather than being upset we didnt get to two years.

Hey Mel,

Thanks so much for getting back to me and updating us here too - I've been wondering how you both have been doing.

Breastfeeding for 18 months is a HUGE achievement and one you and Thea should be particularly proud of. It definitely sounds like Thea was happy to wean and its happened in such a lovely lovely way.

How are your boobs feeling? Have you had any discomfort or leaking?

Is Thea taking cows milk now? Did you try the straw idea? How have you ensured she gets enough milk/calcium now?

I've decided I'm going to do something special FOR ME to celebrate when I stop breastfeeding (maybe to go someway to spending the £400+ we'll have saved on formula!) - I think you should do this too. I'm going to spend a fortune on some new sexy bras! How about treating yourself? You definitely deserve it!

You're my idol Mel - I really admire the way you are bringing up Thea. My goal was always to get to 12 months with breastfeeding, but privately I know I'd like to get to 18 months if we can and DD doesn't self-wean first.

Lots of love and well done

Valentine Xxx

Thea drinks warmed cows milk out of a tea cup when im having a cuppa lol. My mam suggested it and it works! She sits next to me and drinks it up saying "ahhhhh good cup tea mammy" :rotfl: She also eats about 5 yoghurts a day as well as enough cheese to top about 8 pizzas lol so im not worried about her calcium intake anymore. The doctor says even just the yoghurts and cheese would make her happy.

My boobs feel fine, i havent had any discomfort or leaking. They have never even seemed that full since stopping. I havent expressed anything at all.

I'm so glad that Thea made the transition so well. She is a clever little thing and I guess when they are ready to move on, they can do it without the fuss and tears. I was really happy to read your update and see that it is going well. :cheer:

wow - i think you've done amazingly melanie - congratulations - 18 months is an incredible achievement :) :hug: :hug:

Congratulations on getting to 18 months breastfeeding, and congratulations on Thea weaning as well.

Sounds like shes doing well!!

Congratulations - glad it has all went well for you. You should be very proud of yourself (and Thea too) xx

So glad it was easy for you Mel, and for Thea...
Congrats on going to 18 months :cheer:

Lisa

Getting to 18 months is fantastic, you should be so proud of yourself! :cheer: Glad weaning has gone well!

Wow 18 months, youre brill, lucky Thea! :hug:
Glad the weaning went well and youre both happy :cheer:

Your amazing for breastfeeding so long - I really admire you. Congrats on the weaning and I think it's lovely you now have story time as a special thing between you, brill idea :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back