Unhelpful GP doc

Melanie3103

Reaction score
I was at the docs for something else yesterday and i just happened to mention at the end of my appt - "oh and we r ttc, bearing in mind im 37 whats your recommendation in terms of when we should come see u if nothing happens etc"...

Ive no reason to worry things wont happen but i just want all the facts/info just in case. Thought i was being sensible.

She gave me a look and said "well theres nothing we would do until you've been trying 1yr at least... Your age makes no difference... Its not my fault you left it as late as 37.."

Ive read so much about over 35s being seen earlier - like after 6-9 months. Was shocked!

Anyone experienced this (in the uk in particular)... ??
:-(

How rude! I'd be really annoyed as well. They need to take action after 6 months of trying for 35+s as far as I know. Xx

how rude of her !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would be offended by that too, I believe you asked for her clinical judgement not a personal one!

Thats very rude. Yes on nhs and nice guidelines it specifies that you are entitldd to be referred after 6 months of trying once over 35. Some gps are so rubbish xx

Last edited:
Go back and see your GP armed with this info http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Fertility/Pages/Getpregnant.aspx right down the bottom it tells you to seek help sooner than a year. I hate the nhs at times, I really do! I am extremely grateful of my local surgery. I'm 28 and I've been in today to discuss the results of my ultrasound. The sonographer wrote my ovaries suggest pcos but its not conclusive. By all accounts the GP could have said come back in a couple of months but instead she's prescribed norethisterone & asked if my hubby had had a SA yet. She then said tell him to book in so I can get consent and refer him for one so we an be ready for if I don't have a BFP in next few months. I have never had to ask for anything via this GP and she has offered all the way - it just highlights how wrong the nhs system is!!

Book and see another doctor and be prepared to be assertive (hopefully you'll not need to). Print that page and highlight that part if they start to talk about ttc for at least a year first. If the GP won't budge, ask to speak with the practice manager and make a complaint as nhs website clearly states you can receive help sooner. And if that fails you contact your local Patient Advisory Liaison Service (PALS) and make a complaint to them.

I've also found this http://jessopfertility.org.uk/referral.html which is my local nhs fertility clinic which also states referrals for women over 35 is an exception to the general 1yr ttc.

Best of luck to you xx

Thanks ladies, as I said it's really early stages for us (just 3 cycles in ttc) so im in no rush to "get seen".. I just wanted the facts/advice on when to seek further help. I didn't expect any thing so early, just some information, you know.

Appreciate your support... it just totally knocked me for six.

We might not need to be seen by anyone of course, it is still early - so it's a moot point for now, just upsetting to have my enquiries brushed aside and made to feel psychotic and fretting early unnecessarily.

Grrrr.... x

Oh my gosh, Melanie! How rude of her, completely out of order. You hear a lot on here of doctors being so apathetic. Doesn't fill me with much hope at all xx

I'd go after 6 months of I were you and ask again xx

Thanks - yeah 6 is my max. Will prob lie and say its 9 too... Shame they r like that. :-(

Will def see another doc too.

I can go honestly say my GP has been brilliant - all 3 of them for different reasons

Melanie I'd make a complaint with the practice! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back