Umbilical Cord

millylillyrose

Reaction score
so i've read everywhere that they should fall off within 7-10 days. Well LO will be 3 weeks on thursday, and her's is still there and showing no signs of coming off.

At the hospital they sent us home with some rubbing alchol whipes to use 2 times a day to dry it up....we used it the first few days till i read that its better to leave it alone and let it come off by its self.

Its not got wet at all, and its not infected or anything.....just still there, is that normal?

I have no idea.. Fynns came off after 5 days!

3 weeks is a long time for it to still be there.. I would maybe ask your HV :think:

Hmmm :think:

Well Calleighs fell off within days. Maybe have the GP or HV check it for you. It does seem a long time.
I bathed Calleigh as normal, so it got a rinse in the bath. This actually loosened it if you knw what i mean.
Didnt use anything else on it.

1. How long will it take for my baby's cord to fall off?

Generally a baby's cord will fall off in 1 - 3 weeks, but some can take much longer than this. Your baby's cord will fall off when it is ready.

Is it dry and stiff? as long as its not sticky or smelly its normal!
If you leave it outside the nappy it will dry out a lot quicker!
Dont worry! r you still seeing your midwife or you hv could check it for you, ! :D

yeah its dry and stiff. we're folding her nappy down so its never covered. it see's the air almost 24/7 (its so hot here she's naked most of the time with just light blankets.)

as she was over her birth weight at just 5 days we dont have our 2 week check up, so dont see anyone again untill her 8 week check. im sure it should be fine, i just hate it being there....i feel so worried about knocking it or it catching something. ugh!!!

I didn't know to keep it dry, so i bathed her including the cord. It just went soft like scabs do in water then fell off after 5 days. I kept the nappy off it before and after it fell off so it healed nicely.

Fell off on day 4 in the bath.

3 Weeks does semm like a long time.

Maia's was about 3 weeks or so before it came off, I woudnt worry it will fall off soon.

Do you not have the option of taking her to a babyclinic, usually held at your GP office of local health centre? It's for all babies and young children, you can get them weighed and discuss any issues you may have there with a HV/MW. I've not heard of a cord taking so long to drop off as it were, but if she's happy enough then I wouldn't worry about it :hug:

At 3 weeks DD still had her cord. The HV said it as because we were keeping it too clean (after all, it's getting gangrene or something like that and then falling off :puke: ) We didn't let it get dirty after that but were less enthusiastic in our cleaning and it fell off a few days later. It's a horrible thing, isn't it! I hope it falls off soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back