cord infection

inky

Reaction score
Hi All,

Cahal's cord has been off for a while now, and when it was in the process of being just about to fall off, it went a gooey (although didn't smell or go red or anything) and the midwife who looked at it said it all looked OK, but yes, it was 'a gooey one' so she took a swab, sent it off and then told me to pretty much forget about it because it didn't look infected to her.

I did forget about it because a week later I still hadn't heard anything, but then got a call from my doctor to say that he had had the results back but hadn't been in touch sooner because he had been on holiday. He asked me to take Cahal in so he could check how his belly button was doing. When we got there he said that although his belly button was looking OK (if a little weepy), the results had shown strep G. It hadn't turned into a full blown infection though and I was given some antiseptic dusting powder to dry it up.

Sorry for the waffle, but my question is this - I've read about women being strep positive and having to have antibiotics during labour - in my confusion at the docs I didn't ask how the strep would have got there - does anyone know if it would have come from me during the birth? If so, shouldn;t the doctor have told me?

Thanks for any info :)

I wonder if it is a general cause of cord infections with you not getting much info from the dr...
Toby had a cord infection as it was coming of and was given antibiotic cream for it... I got the impression the it is fairly common for cords to go manky

The doctor did just kind of brush over it, and at the time the midwife said not to worry so hopefully you're right! I will ask to be tested ne t time tho just in case as I don't remember being offered any tests for strep when pregnant

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back