Twins?

lrb

Reaction score
Is it true it's passed down? Oh's mum was a twin, then skipped her children then supposedly her children should have twins, so we could possibly be having them??
Anyone know if this is true??

Thanks

Non identical twins tend to be hereditary and must be on the mums side. It is the woman who has to have the family history on her side. Some say it skips a generation and that is true for my family (my nan had three sets (2 id 1 non id) I have a set (id) my sister has a set (non id) and my cousin has a set (non id).
Identical twins don't tend to be hereditary and are just the egg splitting later on in the mums cycle. x

Okay so with it being in the ohs mums family and her only having two sons it Wont get passed on? Xx

No hun, you will be just as likely as anyone else. It would have to be a history of non id twins on your side (ie your mum, nan etc) x

My auntie has identical twins on my mums side and I'm having them but think it was just a stroke of luck Hun! If ur bigger than your dates and ur hcg blood tests are more than doubling every 48 hours then there's a chance there twins, sometimes ppl say severe sickness too but I just had a little here and there and felt sick! X

Im a little worried about this as there is a family history of non identical twins in my family (mums gran was one and mums cousin had them) and I think I am big for my week. But then again my mum carried a lot of water so might be that!!
xxxxx

i didnt have any other symptoms of multiple pregnancy but was slightly showing at 8 weeks x

I have been showing for a while but then i am a little on the bigger side in anycase!! Guess I will find out next week!!
xxxx

suppose so, well a few friends actually noticed and pointed it out with me, think u generally arent showing til 12+ weeks see what they say! fingers crossed x

Okay so with it being in the ohs mums family and her only having two sons it Wont get passed on? Xx

With oh mum being a twin, if she was a non id twin she can pass on the hyper ovulation gene to her sons who the pass it on to their baby girls. This only increases the baby girls chances of having twins not his. Identical twins are not hereditary and occur randomly in around 1 in 125 pregnancies.

I am a non id twin myself so have researched this, my odds are 1 in 60 for non id twins! The normal odds for non id twins with no twins history is 1 in 125!

Hope this helps xx

How can the man carry the gene though? It's the ability for a woman to produce more than one egg, hence being carried along the female line as men don't produce eggs?? This is what my consultant told me? x

Gosh its confusing isnt it? I defo have a little bump but then mu tummy wasnt a washboard before ya know!!! WOuld be cute to have twins but a lot of work!!
xxxxx

Yes it is a lot of work!!! I didn't show any earlier with my twins than my singletons x

Prob coz this is my first pregnancy that's viable (mmc at 5 weeks) it's hard for me to say. Friends noticed I had a little pot belly but perhaps I'd be the same with a singleton pregnancy. I went to an early steps in pregnancy class the morning of my scan and the midwife mentioned to my mum that even if I was 12 weeks I did have quite a tummy! Still went I to scan not thinking of twins tho. It's fascinating! So even tho twins run in my mums side and my great nana wad an identical rein my auntie had identical twins and now so am I it's just a chance that the egg splits at conception? Spooky! Xx

Yeah princess, same here, just luck and we have loads of non id twins in the family. I'm really anxious about ttc as there is a mega high risk it could be twins again x

How can the man carry the gene though? It's the ability for a woman to produce more than one egg, hence being carried along the female line as men don't produce eggs?? This is what my consultant told me? x

I'm not sure of how is does but somehow the male may become a carrier of the gene, it just doesn't do anythin to them. Well this is what I was told how true it is, i don't know. Xx

They said that to me there's a strong chance of another set of twins! Imagine if u had two girls tho after all the boys! Xx

Hahaha two girls would be good but I wouldn't want another set of twins if poss x

lol my mum was suggesting this to me yesterday as i was saing i feel mega bloated and it dont seem like gas, my tummy is fairly hard where it was deffo just fat before. she was listing off the twins in her side of the family and in my dads family and theyre all 1 generation removed lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back