TW then to blw ?

Elfs Mummy

Reaction score
I really didn't want to but looks like im starting weening Maisie is soooo hungry she is barely sleeping and just costantly wants food her reflux isn't the best so im going to start giving her a bit of baby rice mixed in with breast milk. However i really don't want to go down the puree route and i love the idea of Blw could i start with tw then switch ??

I went from tw to blw! Well, wasn't pure blw! I never really made proper purees, just mashed things up' and gave things like toast and other finger foods' worked really well for us!

I do the same. Mostly purée but finger foods too. Isla has just had an apple biscotti. Hoping it tides are over until tea time. (I'm trying to reduce her breastfeeds as I'm back to work in September with kit days along the way)

Thats what i want to do Alice :) Maisie already steals food of my plate so thought i should start now xx

I'm giving Lizzie baby porridge at the mo and tastes of other things, but as soon as she's sitting up etc I'll be heading down the BLW route hopefully :)

Some people are positive that you cant mix the two but Ive heard loads of people saying it works fabulously. I doa mixture of the two. I will mainly blw but if were rushing Ill give her a jar which is obviously spoon fed and then sometimes for breakfast she'll have porridge. She started off with tw when she was 17 weeks and then its just slowly changed since then. :)

That's fine Hun. The only thing is when moving on to blw to make sure she isn't too hungry when giving her finger food. She might get frstrated as she can't fill herself up quick enough. Blw is more about exploring foods, they don't quite get that it's food and it's meant to fill you up at first but she'll get the hang of it. Good luck, it's really fascinating watching them!

That's fine Hun. The only thing is when moving on to blw to make sure she isn't too hungry when giving her finger food. She might get frstrated as she can't fill herself up quick enough. Blw is more about exploring foods, they don't quite get that it's food and it's meant to fill you up at first but she'll get the hang of it. Good luck, it's really fascinating watching them!

This is the problem we had, I started charley off on puree's then introduced finger foods but if he was too hungry he'd scream cos he couldn't get the food in quick enough.

Well Maisie has decided already that she wants to feed herself today she stole my apple and screamed when i took it away so i think she's more just wanting to play xx

Sorry for being dumb but what is tw?? Ive been mashing and pureeing aidens food but want to try him with finger foods! I'm just so terrified he's going to choke!! Because he's taking food from a spoon that doesn't need chewing will he know what to do with finger food or will he choke?? Xx

Tw is traditional weaning so puree's. This prob sounds silly but you've got to trust your baby and not jump straight up when they start to gag. If they look like their really struggling then intervene but don't stick your fingers in their mouths cos it can push it further down.
Start off with things that are fist size finger foods. I started with toast so he can suck it too x x

Thsnks hun! I totally agree! He had a rusk was enjoying it but I was just so worried I kept pulling it away from him x

The gag reflex is to prevent them from choking. It can be scary to watch but it's there way of pushing food from the back of the throat to the front of thier mouth and it also controls the amount of food they put in eventually.

We started Ollie on purée at 20 weeks and progressed to lumpy pretty quickly as he chews really well. Now we've started giving him a finger food lunch (he has 2-3oz milk in his beaker first just so he's not starving) then he tries a selectionof finger foods (he loved avocado on toast yesterday!!) and if he doesn't eat much I spoon feed him a small pudding. He then has a mashed tea with something like apple rice cake or chunks of fruit for pud.
We just mix and match - as for choking, have learnt to sit back and let him sort himself out although we've had the occasional having to pat his back situation.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307181965.006730.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307181965.006730.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 2
Maisie isn't really eating more just playing she's never swallowed any of the baby rice but she jsut has so much fun i don't know whether to wait a bit longer or let her continue to play she loves it !!
She also keeps stealing my salad etc so she stole bits of apple and pepper which i let her suck on as when i tried to take them away she screamed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back