Tummy Time Help

First Baby White

Reaction score
Harry doesnt seem to like tummy time, he doesnt push up on his arms or really lift his head he is more interested in eating his hand :roll:
I am worried he isnt developing as quickly as he should and that he wont learn to crawl, what can I do and is this quite common?

First Baby White said:
Harry doesnt seem to like tummy time, he doesnt push up on his arms or really lift his head he is more interested in eating his hand :roll:
I am worried he isnt developing as quickly as he should and that he wont learn to crawl, what can I do and is this quite common?

Totally normal, mine hated it too! She even learned early on that rolling over she could escape it so it was pointless trying! She's absolutely fine now and eventually realised it's a whole new world on her tum so quite enjoys it!

Mines never liked it. I dont think it was anything to do with development, they just didnt like it. :wave:

Lucy hates it, we get a bit longer out of her if we stick her on her tummy on something. We use our laps, the V-pillow (but make 100% sure you're always watching in case his head/face goes down into it) and the slightly raised sides of her playmat. I too worry she's not going to crawl! LOL

Oscar really seems to hate it on his playmat but is better in his cot (the one he doesn't sleep in but I use to put him in when getting ready for a nappy change in his room). I think it is because I crouch down and pull faces at him through the bars, it is at the highest level, so he gets to be higher than me when he lifts his head up. He will still only tolerate about five minutes at the most though.

Some babies miss out the crawling stage altogether and go straight to walking so I wouldn't worry :D

My LO is still not too keen on tummy time. She started just about baring it at about five months (if I remember right). If I catch her in the right mode she can now do about 15 minutes on her tummy and will then either roll over or moan. And she has only ever rolled twice from back to front (why to bother as she doesn't like being on her tummy anyway??? :rotfl: ).

She was however an early sitter, and started putting weight on her legs early (if I hold her in my arms when sitting down she insists standing). She now walks when holding her hands and cruises around furniture. She has also started trying to pull herself standing from sitting if she is near something she can try to hold onto. The only problem is that she has now idea how to pull herself up to sitting - I think this is because she doesn't like tummy time :?

Don't worry too much. All babies have their own things which they are good at. Some babies also like to take their time x

Dont panic and dont compare him. And dont be reading those bloomin child development books of what kids should be doing by certain stages, its a load of old crap!

Every baby/kid is different and yours is no exception. None of my kids liked tummy time so i bought them a gym, and then they learnt to roll etc and did tummy time all on their own! Let your baby take their time hun. No point makiing them do something when they hate it!

Rudy is the same, he HATES tummy time and can't manage to keep his head up for very long (tbh I think this is because he has inherited mine and OH big head genes :rotfl: ) He has only rolled once from front to back by accident and never from back to front and doesn't even make an attempt to.

I was getting pretty worried about this too but reading the replys you've got have made me feel a bit calmer about it.

Alex xxx

When i was nearly due with Tally we saw Dave's neice, she must have been about 11 months old, 9 corrected as she was early, and she screamed and screamed when put on her tummy, and she wouldnt crawl at all, she walks fine though and for her corrected age is bang on, i wouldnt worry about it, i guess some babies dont liek being on their tummies.

Tally always rolls on hers but i think after a while she doesnt like being on it too much

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back