TTC 16 months off the pill.. strange periods!!!!!

Katie92

Reaction score
Hey, so I'm 24 years old, OH 31. Been off the pill for 16 months. At first I thought it would be easy too get pregnant - as shallow as that sounds as I'm only in my early 20s but obviously not. We haven't been properly trying during these 16 months as I've only started to test when I ovulate with in the last 3, but have been having unprotected sex!

In addition to this I have also noticed that during the past 8 months AF starts off very light pink hardly any blood just spots, hardly any bleeding on the 2nd day, 3rd day of bright to dark red bleeding, then goes dark brown for the last two days of AF which in total lasts for 5/6 days. There is also brown what appears to be tissue/slough included in the brown blood. I'm totally freaking out about this and wondering whether this is a normal phenomenem and whether anybody else has experienced this?! I get normal cramps nothing excruciating and no heavy flow.

My doctor is fully aware and looks at me like I'm stupid when I explain, it doesn't help that my usual family doctor has been off sick, I will be requesting a hormone test as I've read that it could be a symptom of low progesterone but not 100% sure. Sorry for going into detail about AF but getting worried now ecspecially as it's proving difficult getting my BFP! I also want advice on TTC, has anybody been trying naturally for this long and have gotten pregnant? I'm so worried it'll never happen!

Sending baby dust to all.
Best wishes and thanks for reading
Katie xxxxx

Hi Katie,

I've always had very light periods, often only 3-4 days and most of that is usually the brown like you describe. I tend to get one day of 'proper' flow, maybe two. I've got pcos, but light periods aren't usually a symptom of pcos so don't worry too much about that. As you have been trying for over a year you can get some basic tests done at your GP, bloods to check your hormone levels, bloods to check you are ovulating, ultrasound scan to check all is ok in there and a sperm analysis for your oh is the normal starting point.

I have fallen pregnant naturally even with my very irregular cycles and odd periods, first time took us 18 months of trying (which I then mc) then took another 15 months to fall again (again I mc), after this we started fertility treatment (clomid to try to sort out my irregular ovulation) and after 7 rounds I was pregnant again and am currently 22 weeks.

Good luck :)

Hi

My periods have always been heavy but like Snowbee I also have PCOS. Yours sound lighter than mine but I'm not sure what normal is? I get a lot of clots and sometimes can feel them coming out of me which isn't good but I'm not sure why or how many clots are normal... I'll try and find something...

Hello,
Thankyou for replying. Mine aren't light just normal in flow, definately not heavy for sure. I think I'm just looking for problems and then trying to find the solution in my head ecspecially has it's taking me a while to conceive. I am sorry to hear your past struggles snowbee and so thrilled for you that you are now 22 weeks pregnant, wishing you a healthy pregnancy.
Me and OH are going to the doctors in the next few weeks and will enquiry about the tests. I did have an ultrasound the month before I came off the pill as I was experiencing shooting pains during my withdrawl bleeds, they said my ovaries were fine however my endometrial lining was very thin.
Best wishes and good look guys.
Katie
Xxxxx

I had also been on the pill and when I came off it took about 4 months for my periods to come back. When they finally did, they were very short and light although they were regular. Didn't get any cramping or any symptoms really and although I wasn't complaining they definitely weren't like my pre-pill periods and I knew something wasn't right! GP did bloods and found I had high prolactin though I was having other symptoms as well. Got treatment for it and levels are now normal :)

I'm sorry you're feeling disheartened Katie92 - can totally relate to that! Like you I just assumed it would be easy!! I feel better that they've found a problem and treated it but it doesn't stop me worrying that there could be something else and it won't ever happen for us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back